The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rinaldo vs Crombeen

RIP Ripper

Those of you who think this was cheap in anyway have either never been in a fight or do not know of the rules surrounding fighting in the NHL.

Rinaldo was simply doing his job while trying to keep Crombeen in check after a hit on Scheen. In that kind of situation, you have adrenaline pumping through you and you keeping going until the fight gets stopped.

There was no punches thrown when Crombeen actually hit the ice, unlike what Vinny did to Talbot.

Of course I feel really bad for BJ and wish him the best, but this was a good clean fight that Zack won.

Those of you who think this was cheap in anyway have either never been in a fight or do not know of the rules surrounding fighting in the NHL.

Rinaldo was simply doing his job while trying to keep Crombeen in check after a hit on Scheen. In that kind of situation, you have adrenaline pumping through you and you keeping going until the fight gets stopped.

There was no punches thrown when Crombeen actually hit the ice, unlike what Vinny did to Talbot.

Of course I feel really bad for BJ and wish him the best, but this was a good clean fight that Zack won.

Lol. How in hell is Crombeen not a downed opponent? He is on one knee when the second last shot is thrown (this is considered 'downed' according to boxing and kickboxing rules and according to the 'hockey code') and he is almost flattened out, with his head maybe a foot off the ice when Rinaldo lands the last full power right hand. Crombeen is 'not able to intelligently defend himself' when these last two full power shots land.

It's a clear cut case of a player deliberately injuring a vulnerable opponent at the end of a fight and it is, according to nearly every player that has spoken out on this subject, a cheap move.

Taken in context of what had been going on between these two teams I don't have a real problem with it. He could have pulled his last shot but that is easy to say. He was throwing haymakers and than last shot came from way back as Crombeen was going down. As another poster said guys swing out of a fall and come up punching.

When guys pull punches as Rypien did and Volpatti did a couple of games ago I think it does matter who they are fighting. Most players have a rep good or bad. Fair fight but was anyone sorry about Eager's fate after Kassian stroked him? It also depends on what the club is going through at the time. Van had a rep for being physical pushovers for a number of years. It was less than comical to see how many Canucks skated for the bench when a fight broke out. Why was Rypien as popular as he was? He wouldn't stand for that and regularly took on opponents who were 30 to 40 pounds heavier.

Archived