55 replies to this topic

#31 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,496 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

not just us saying it was cheap most of the media outlets are calling it a cheap shot and then showed fights where the player stopped even when he was going down and not all the way down so ya it was a cheap thing to do and deserved a fine at least

#32 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,356 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Maybe one punch more than he needed, but nothing that needs to be disciplined.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#33 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

Those of you who think this was cheap in anyway have either never been in a fight or do not know of the rules surrounding fighting in the NHL.

Rinaldo was simply doing his job while trying to keep Crombeen in check after a hit on Scheen. In that kind of situation, you have adrenaline pumping through you and you keeping going until the fight gets stopped.

There was no punches thrown when Crombeen actually hit the ice, unlike what Vinny did to Talbot.

Of course I feel really bad for BJ and wish him the best, but this was a good clean fight that Zack won.

Unless I'm mistaken, there are no rules in a hockey fight. Go ahead and post the NHL hockey fighting rules if you want to.

Now THIS is how you FINISH a fight!!!

Rolling Thunder at 3:05

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#34 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

Would like to see Rinaldo v Rooney myself
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#35 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, there are no rules in a hockey fight. Go ahead and post the NHL hockey fighting rules if you want to.

Now THIS is how you FINISH a fight!!!

Rolling Thunder at 3:05

Obviously there is no written set of rules :picard:

It's a code implicated by the players. Don't hit a player on the ice, take off your helmet if you have a visor ect.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#36 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

Lol. How in hell is Crombeen not a downed opponent? He is on one knee when the second last shot is thrown (this is considered 'downed' according to boxing and kickboxing rules and according to the 'hockey code') and he is almost flattened out, with his head maybe a foot off the ice when Rinaldo lands the last full power right hand. Crombeen is 'not able to intelligently defend himself' when these last two full power shots land.

It's a clear cut case of a player deliberately injuring a vulnerable opponent at the end of a fight and it is, according to nearly every player that has spoken out on this subject, a cheap move.

Edited by Keke Mortson's helmet, 07 February 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#37 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

Now here is a real fight!

#38 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

It was bull hate when players hit guys when there vinnys.was just as bad

#39 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

I thought Lecaviers punch on Talbot when he was down was probably dirtier. Almost had a retaliatory feel to it aswell

It was, Rinaldo is a first class puke but i have no problem with fighting except the last punch by him. Friggin gutless shot on a guy who was knocked out and Rinaldo knew it. Sounds like the tweets from a lot of players to Ward and Bob Mac last night thought it broke the code between tough guys and most of then thought it was pretty cheap and gutless.

#40 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Taken in context of what had been going on between these two teams I don't have a real problem with it. He could have pulled his last shot but that is easy to say. He was throwing haymakers and than last shot came from way back as Crombeen was going down. As another poster said guys swing out of a fall and come up punching.

When guys pull punches as Rypien did and Volpatti did a couple of games ago I think it does matter who they are fighting. Most players have a rep good or bad. Fair fight but was anyone sorry about Eager's fate after Kassian stroked him? It also depends on what the club is going through at the time. Van had a rep for being physical pushovers for a number of years. It was less than comical to see how many Canucks skated for the bench when a fight broke out. Why was Rypien as popular as he was? He wouldn't stand for that and regularly took on opponents who were 30 to 40 pounds heavier.

#41 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

i have no problem with an old fashioned ass whooping but i find hitting someone after they are down is disrespectful and dishonorable
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#42 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Rinaldo cuts it pretty fine but stops just as Crombeen hits the ice.

Interesting that this fight was brought on by Crombeen's constant slashing of Giroux's wrists during the game...Giroux coming off wrist surgery.

Which is more classless?

If that's going to do something to Giroux then Giroux shouldn't be playing. Rinaldo's choice was borderline but doesn't cross the line.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Conscience

Conscience

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

If that's going to do something to Giroux then Giroux shouldn't be playing. Rinaldo's choice was borderline but doesn't cross the line.

Really, do you know what a slash can do?
Dwight Schrute: Where is my desk?
Jim Halpert: That is weird.
Dwight Schrute: This is not funny. This is totally unprofessional.
Jim Halpert: Okay, well you're the one who lost the desk.
Dwight Schrute: I did not lose my desk!
Jim Halpert: Okay, calm down. Where was the last place you saw it?
Dwight Schrute: Okay, who moved my desk!
Jim Halpert: I think you should retrace your steps.

#44 RIP Ripper

RIP Ripper

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Great spirited discussion! Not unlike a good ol' fashioned hockey fight! :)
I chuckle at the suggestion that there are no rules in hockey fighting. The league has instituted an extra penalty for a player starting a fight with a visor on, there has been huge discussion over instigator and aggressor penalties Hair pulling,head butting and kicking are all match penalties or gross misconducts. I don't see why there can't be, at the discretion of the referee, an extra penalty or supplemental discipline when a player takes advantage of another in a vulnerable position. Didn't see Vinny's fight, can't comment on that.

#45 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Crumbum got a whoopin'. What's the problem?
It happened so fast, how the hell is he supposed to let up when fists are flying?
Absolutely no need for supplemental discipline whatsoever, IMO.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#46 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Exactly. It's not like BEEJ didn't know what he was doing. He has a reputation as a player who straddles the edge, and in my opinion goes over it often enough to warrant the occasional beat-down. You don't want to get pummeled? Stop playing like that and you won't have to accept the invitation when you're asked to dance.

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#47 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,294 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

There was nothing illegal about what Rinaldo did, but I believe that most "enforcers" would consider the last shot unnecessary.

The NHL has slowly started to let the MMA mentality pervade hockey scraps. Nowadays you have guys like Rinaldo and Tootoo who go into fights sans rules. Meanwhile the true heavyweights like George Parros, know when they've landed the punch that has hurt his opponent and immediately let up.

Some of you might remember a few years ago when big George got into a scrap with Darcy Hordichuck. Hordi took a punch and lost his balance. Instead of finishing the job, Parros allowed Darcy to get his balance back before continuing.

This is what "the code" is all about. It's about guys like Laraque wishing his opponent "good luck" before a fight. Not about knocking a guy out and threatening his future hockey career.

Legal, but "against the code" IMHO...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#48 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

There are dozens of instances where, as one of the fighters is going down, the other guy keeps throwing. I can't name every one of them, but I distinctly remember Iggy even doing it a couple of times. Adrenalin is coursing through your veins, you're excited, scared, angry all wrapped into one and time is flying. This instance, in my estimation, looks to be unintended. Even the last "blow" looks glancing, almost like he threw the shot and mid punch tried to miss. But, I could be wrong.
There have been plenty of instances where it's obvious that a guy was not only down, but hurt, and the guy keeps throwing. That is completely against the code. This one looks borderline at best. And Crumbum isn't exactly squeaky clean. He is known for being a shirt disturber, and therefor needs to get tuned from time to time.

#49 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

It was, Rinaldo is a first class puke but i have no problem with fighting except the last punch by him. Friggin gutless shot on a guy who was knocked out and Rinaldo knew it. Sounds like the tweets from a lot of players to Ward and Bob Mac last night thought it broke the code between tough guys and most of then thought it was pretty cheap and gutless.

if it was another fighter, i dont have problem with it.. but most ppl know Rinaldo is a cheap shot and classless player.. he got no respect of other players.. he's some of the guys we dont need in this league..

#50 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

He could of held up at the end but it was a legit fight.
Posted Image

#51 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

You understand slashes happen quite often every game? You understand I'm saying if he can't handle what happens in a game he should have modified equiptment or not be playing yet right?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

You understand slashes happen quite often every game? You understand I'm saying if he can't handle what happens in a game he should have modified equiptment or not be playing yet right?

Come on, EOTM! You're just being contrary :)
Hank gets his hands chopped all of the time. I'd like to know that when someone goes after one of our good players they are going to get set straight. The Crumbums of the league shouldn't be allowed to run around chopping at the wrists, calves, hands of the better players in the league all willy nilly. If they do, they need to be reminded that it comes with a price.
Rinaldo is a d nozzle to be sure, but so is Crombeen. Let them Rock'em Sock'em Robots all day long.

#53 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,294 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I just thought I'd point out that during the Buffalo-Pittsburgh game today, (great game, BTW) there was another case of a player who follows the code.

Early in the third, Cody McCormick and Tanner Glass dropped the gloves. Before much in the way of punches were thrown, Glass ended up with his sweater over his head. Instead of pummeling the helpless Glass, McCormick held up, waiting until Glass had pulled his sweater back down before continuing the scrap.

Rinaldo might want to watch a clip of this scrap, just to see how a player deserving of respect comports himself.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#54 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Starts at 2:20:
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#55 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,453 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Rinaldo didn't do anything wrong. He had the option of doing the nice thing and let Crombeen off the hook, but he didn't. He wasn't obligated to stop punching. Some players choose to be a little more respectful than others, in part because it will provide them with respect in return.

Watch McCormick fight Tanner Glass in today's game between Buffalo and the Pens. Glass had his sweater over his head, McCormick let up. Class move, but not one he was required to make.

Edited by Down by the River, 17 February 2013 - 04:12 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#56 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I agree that when you target a superstar your should pay the price. The NHL seems to be geared toward making it easy to get away with these days so if you can sneak an extra punch or two in borderline then good.

Now, if the guy is knocked out or clearly not with it, I'm not sure how deserving it is as you can really hurt some one doing that.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.