The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler could be back as early as Saturday vs Flames

Canucks_fo_life

I understand why everyone is so worried to death he needs to be ready to play. But He won't be 100% until he has three or four games under his belt of real action. Watch his minutes and he will be fine. Ultimately you have to test the broken wing before you can fly. It will be either ready to go or not time to put it to the test.

Is everyone delusional? We need Kes back soon! and Booth! We may be 6-2-2 but has no one noticed that they were still watching very mediocre hockey? This streak we're on is nice, but not deserved. We're riding the best 2 goaltender tandem in the league, and have had a lot of luck. We are usually out-played, out-shot, and out-skated. In the last 4 games our PP was just over 10%. That's 29th in the league. Yes...Burrows is playing well, Kass is playing really well, and despite lack of recognition from anyone Volpie is as good a 4th liner as any team could want, but Schroeder is no Kess, or Booth, and the Sedin's are having a Jerome Iginla kind of start to their year. I hear TO is shopping Kessel...time to pull the trigger on Lu Gillis!

Is everyone delusional? We need Kes back soon! and Booth! We may be 6-2-2 but has no one noticed that they were still watching very mediocre hockey? This streak we're on is nice, but not deserved. We're riding the best 2 goaltender tandem in the league, and have had a lot of luck. We are usually out-played, out-shot, and out-skated. In the last 4 games our PP was just over 10%. That's 29th in the league. Yes...Burrows is playing well, Kass is playing really well, and despite lack of recognition from anyone Volpie is as good a 4th liner as any team could want, but Schroeder is no Kess, or Booth, and the Sedin's are having a Jerome Iginla kind of start to their year. I hear TO is shopping Kessel...time to pull the trigger on Lu Gillis!

The timetable on his return has been a bit ridicules. November...end of December...February...Who knows...Further, we're not talking about a concussion where you can't put a timeline on a return...it's surgery that was supposed to have an approx. 6 month recover time.Perhaps he should focus more on that than on handing out fast food...

And...if you don't think that Edmonton (who is 3 points behind us, beaten us once, and took us to OT another time) isn't a threat...give your head a shake. If they acquire a goalie that can stop a puck, and that they'll play in front of...they'll be trouble. On top of that, this little streak we're on is lulling us into a false sense of security. Half the Eastern Conference would walk all over us were this a regular 82 game season.

The timetable on his return has been a bit ridicules. November...end of December...February...Who knows...Further, we're not talking about a concussion where you can't put a timeline on a return...it's surgery that was supposed to have an approx. 6 month recover time.Perhaps he should focus more on that than on handing out fast food...

And...if you don't think that Edmonton (who is 3 points behind us, beaten us once, and took us to OT another time) isn't a threat...give your head a shake. If they acquire a goalie that can stop a puck, and that they'll play in front of...they'll be trouble. On top of that, this little streak we're on is lulling us into a false sense of security. Half the Eastern Conference would walk all over us were this a regular 82 game season.

You do realize that he had not one but two surgeries and that makes things a little complicated? Especially when we're dealing with shoulders and wrists - two things critical in every aspect of his game? I believe the 6 month timeline was associated with the shoulder and if he is having trouble raising his arm laterally, he likely isn't quite ready to play.

The beauty of the lockout means that other teams won't be in usual pre-playoff run form either....so he's had the luxury of the lockout to not lose too much ground. Why on EARTH would we rush him back and risk losing him for the playoffs, the time we'll need him the most? It would be disastrous to rush him back, only to lose him again. Seems right to me - get him back just in time to get playoff ready. I'm quite excited over the prospect of a fairly health team that isn't completely depleted and arriving with crutches and slings (knocking hard on wood now).

(and who's to criticize him for being active in the community during his recovery?.....geesh)

So... Is he back?

My preference is that he sits as long as possible. If we can win the division without him, then by all means, let him sit the whole freakin' season.

Because i have a strong feeling that if he sits out the season and comes back for the playoffs fresh and ready, then we could see one of the most dominating playoff performances in history.

In that light, we wouldn't even have to trade a goalie. How many cup winners required more than one starter? Hell, Tim Thomas went from backup to starter to vezina and cup winner within a season.

This could play out fairly well if we do it right.

I will not give my head a shake. That would be uncomfortable, if not painful. Don't tell me to do something like that.

I have watched a handful of Oilers games so far this year. They certainly have shown promise. But they're not ready yet. Thanks to their superlative skill level, they've managed to win some games and also to hang in games against powerhouses like Vancouver and San Jose. But they have crippling weaknesses. They lack depth and quality on defense. Dubnyk has been decent, but they have nobody behind him to give him a breather or step in because of injury. They have tremendous skill up front, but they struggle to make basic hockey plays. They don't win face-offs. They turn the puck over. Their top-6 is soft and very poor defensively. Further, they now have 3 centres injured. They're in a tough spot, and I expect them to struggle. A long-term injury to Gagner,Dubnyk or a key defenseman and their season could unravel.

EDIT: and by the way, 3 points is not a slim lead after 10 games. It corresponds to a 24 point difference over a full season.

((It's not like I said put your wiener in a vice...that would be painful...

Is Edm injured? sure...but to think that they wouldn't give up damn near any #1 on their team for Lu is just plain wrong. To think that with someone like Lu that they couldn't contend...is equally wrong. I love your little math problem there at the end...It's like saying that Thomas Vanek is on his way to a 44 goal season...in 48 games. Hell...even Wayne himself would be impressed!))

((OK...good points...however...

Doctors have said he's OK...AV has said he's OK...Gilles has said he's OK...Ryan "Hmmmm...not yet...I have another playgirl shoot to do". Common I get that we want him to be at his best...but his best can't be determined if he's not willing to play and get himself in game shape. Further, you're basing this on the hope that we can make the playoffs without him! That said...tonight WAS the best game I've seen us play all year. It was very encouraging.))

((I'm not sure what that means...Good luck on the smoking thing I guess.))

Archived