82 replies to this topic

#1 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I just saw on TSN, Ray Ferarro make some 2014 Olympic roster projections. No Canucks on it, not even Luongo and says Price is his starter.

Someone enlighten me. Why for the past year or 2, does everyone say Price is the guy to beat and is the sole starter? Did I forget something over the years, but what heck has Price done that gets everyone saying he is the guy? I just don't get it.

His 3 goalies were Price, Ward, Fleury. I understand Fleury, but again Cam Ward?! Really? what has he done since 2006? Price will probably be on the team, but if you ask me and what makes sense is that the job is Luongo's to lose. Meaning, if he plays solid like he is now and next season and at camp he will most likely start just because he is the previous winning goalie like Brodeur was before Luongo took over. But it's not guaranteed to Lu, he still has to perform. At the training camp they will battle for the position and if the other guys outplay Luongo they get the start.

But to say Price is the guy already, just does not make sense and sit well with me. They only thing he has done not including this year is backstop the Canadiens to 15th place in the East last season. Why does everyone think so greatly for Price, what has he done? Tell me.

I'd put Fleury before him for sure, at least he has won something.

Edited by cmpunk, 06 February 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Lol at Fleury and Ward.

Fleury hasn't been impressive in a long time, Ward would make it but with the way he has crapped the bed in world play in the past I wouldn't be confident in him as one of my top choices.

Price
Luongo
Ward

That's how it should be.

zackass.png

#3 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Lol at Fleury and Ward.

Fleury hasn't been impressive in a long time, Ward would make it but with the way he has crapped the bed in world play in the past I wouldn't be confident in him as one of my top choices.

Price
Luongo
Ward

That's how it should be.

Canada does not have too many options in goal. They will all be invited, and whoever plays best gets the job. But to not even include the former gold medal winning goalie is just stupid. And they still gotta play solid next season.

But if they all play like they are now, I think Lu will start and has to play solid right away to keep the job, if not then he will get taken over. My top 3 right now is Luongo, Price, Fleury. A sleeper pick could be a guy like Craig Anderson, he could make the top 3.

But the point of this topic, is really why the heck is everyone so high on Price and thinks he is so great. lol based on what?!!!!!!

Edited by cmpunk, 06 February 2013 - 06:12 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#4 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Luongo
Price
Fleury

Ward has been bad in world championships but luongo should be invited let alone be the starter

#5 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Luongo
Price
Fleury

Ward has been bad in world championships but luongo should be invited let alone be the starter

lol after the one playoffs in 2006 where he won the cup albeit, the guy has done nothing and is not a top goalie.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,264 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

rayferrarotsn
Of positions on Olympic team that I picked..most uneasy about the goalies...Price is a lock for me, Ward,Fleury,Luongo,Smith all in mix

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#7 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Luongo
Price
Fleury

For the U.S (off topic)

Quick
Miller
Schniedz?

Posted Image

#8 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Luongo backed up by Price. 3rd goalie is Fleury(although I like Ward more).

No way Luongo doesn't get picked after winning gold last time out.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#9 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

lol after the one playoffs in 2006 where he won the cup albeit, the guy has done nothing and is not a top goalie.

I agree ward would be a bad choice

#10 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Since most people here probably don't see many SE division games, I'm guessing thats why most of you underrate Cam Ward. They are an obscure team, and most anybody hears about them comes from the boxscore only. A good analogy would be that Cam Ward is to Carolina what Kipper has been to Calgary for years now. Great goalie on a horriawful team that he at least elevates to mediocre. The game isn't all stats, something CDC can get obsessive over when it suits them. I'd pick him over Fleury easily.

People just think because he ain't repeating his crazy success from '06 that he's overrated, but what people forget is that the Canes as a team have gotten a lot worse from the powerhouse they were back then. The offence improved this year, but their D is painfully, weepingly bad.

Price
Ward
Luongo or Fleury

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 06 February 2013 - 06:40 PM.

dontforgettolentil.png

#11 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Price is the guy. OP, you don't get it because you don't see Price enough. I live in Montreal and I can tell you that Price is right up there with Roberto Luongo and he is younger. He hasn't won anything recently because he plays on a terrible team.

Price is to Luongo as Luongo is to Brodeur.

Because Luongo started and won in 2010, I think Luongo will start in 2014 like Brodeur started 2010. If Luongo does not perform, they will turn to Price.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#12 forklift_ole

forklift_ole

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Canucks definitely in the next Olympics:

Sweden--Sedins, Edler
USA--Kesler

(Current) Canucks possibly in the next Olypmics

Canada--Luongo
USA--Booth, Schneider

Bonus: Right now Denmark qualifies for the Olympics so you'd see both Hansen and Jensen there too.

Not a bad set-up, it's hard to make an Olympic roster, especially a Canadian Olympic roster, so it doesn't shock me that so few Canucks seem eligible. Maybe in 2018 we might see Kassian make the team, who knows?

#13 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Luongo
Price
Fleury

For the U.S (off topic)

Quick
Miller
Schniedz?

No not Schneider.. It'll be Thomas since he took a break to prepare for the 2014 Olympics remember ;)

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#14 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Carey Price is already a top 5 goaltender in the league IMO.

Quick
Lundqvist
Luongo
Price
Rinne

Price is the youngest of them all if i'm correct. Guy did very, very well in his WJ tournament with Toews. Price will outplay Luongo by 2014.

Posted Image

#15 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Price is also COOOOL under pressure.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#16 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Price is the guy. OP, you don't get it because you don't see Price enough. I live in Montreal and I can tell you that Price is right up there with Roberto Luongo and he is younger. He hasn't won anything recently because he plays on a terrible team.

Price is to Luongo as Luongo is to Brodeur.

Because Luongo started and won in 2010, I think Luongo will start in 2014 like Brodeur started 2010. If Luongo does not perform, they will turn to Price.

I don't think Price is not in the top 10, he is for sure but to think he is the starter right now based on nothing ahead of the previous gold medal winner is stupid. Thing is great goaltending can take a team atleast into the playoffs on his on, if not playoffs at least just on the outs. Canadien's finished 15th.

I think Lu is better still then Price. Next year who know's, Price will have his chance to win the job. If Lu continues to play well in next season, he starts at least.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#17 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Carey Price is already a top 5 goaltender in the league IMO.

Quick
Lundqvist
Luongo
Price
Rinne

Price is the youngest of them all if i'm correct. Guy did very, very well in his WJ tournament with Toews. Price will outplay Luongo by 2014.

It's only a year away. Price is already dominant and has already developed into an elite goaltender so he will not be getting that much better in one year. Similarly, Luongo is only 33 and is still very elite as he's shown thus far, and will not be getting that much worse - if at all. What he may lose in athletic abilities, he will gain with smart veteran positional plays and tricks.

So if you can't say Price is hands down better than Luongo this season, which he isn't with the way Luongo is playing right now (he may be the best in the league at this moment), you probably won't be able to say that next season, unless either one has an off-season by their standards.

And if you read my post in this thread above, you'll see that it's coming from a big Carey Price fan, so this is not a homer comment.

As I said, if the disparity between the two is little, Luongo will get the senority tap on the shoulders like Brodeur did in 2010, and just like Luongo did Brodeur, Price may replace Luongo half way through. Carey will be the undisputed #1 in 2018.

#18 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I don't think Price is not in the top 10, he is for sure but to think he is the starter right now based on nothing ahead of the previous gold medal winner is stupid. Thing is great goaltending can take a team atleast into the playoffs on his on, if not playoffs at least just on the outs. Canadien's finished 15th.

I think Lu is better still then Price. Next year who know's, Price will have his chance to win the job. If Lu continues to play well in next season, he starts at least.

I said Luongo will get the start because of his Olympic medal in 2010 - just like Brodeur got the start in 2010 for his in 2002. And I think Luongo is the best goaltender in the league at the moment when he's hot, but Price is usually on par with Luongo on any given night.

#19 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I said Luongo will get the start because of his Olympic medal in 2010 - just like Brodeur got the start in 2010 for his in 2002. And I think Luongo is the best goaltender in the league at the moment when he's hot, but Price is usually on par with Luongo on any given night.

I see Luongo there soley for this reason even if his play declines a bit over the season and next. If Broduer got his chance to keep it going why wouldn't Luongo? Not saying I couldn't see Price taking over the starter role if he falters, but I can't see Luongo not being there

#20 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,375 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Ward hasn't been relevant since Moses wore short pants. Price will obviously be on the team but the starting position is up for debate. I sure as hell don't trust MAF with the starting role.
Posted Image

#21 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

For USA

I think it would be

Quick
Miller
Anderson <---- Very underrated goaltender

For Canada

Luongo
Price
Ward

#22 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 76,228 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I agree with Price, Luongo, Fleury.

307mg00.jpg

#23 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

For USA

I think it would be

Quick
Miller
Anderson <---- Very underrated goaltender

For Canada

Luongo
Price
Ward

Unless Thomas's pipe dreams come true and he gets in after not playing lol

I think Fluery should be the 3rd but I wouldn't complain if they went with Ward

#24 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

At their best, I'd take Luongo, have never really seen Price go on unreal runs like Luongo has many times and is on now.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#25 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

yes, Price is that good

#26 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

It's Ray Ferraro, what did you expect?

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#27 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

yes, Price is that good

if he was, MTL doesn't finish 15th place in East.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#28 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

if he was, MTL doesn't finish 15th place in East.

Did Luongo ever make the playoffs with Florida? No and it doesn't mean he wasn't a great goalie.

#29 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,696 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

It's Ray Ferraro, what did you expect?

Yep. He's had some sort of beef with the Canucks for awhile it seems like. He's always got something negative to say.

Like how Kassian and Schroeder weren't ready for the NHL. Good call there Ray.

Is he still mad that we passed up on drafting Landon in the first round?

At least if he had picked Smith over Luongo, we could have a debate. But picking Ward is just laughable, and is an insult to Lui. Sure Ward has won the cup, but hasn't done a whole lot since.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#30 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Did Luongo ever make the playoffs with Florida? No and it doesn't mean he wasn't a great goalie.

Not just about playoffs during FLA Luongo for many years was known for making the most saves for consecutive years with most shots against. I just don't get how Price is the guy to beat. He is good and still young, but not better than Luongo still. In a few more years he might be.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.