The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Need for Any Trades

Burlinbert

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We need to aquire a top 6 with size and scoring plus a 3rd line centre with size. I just don't think that Schroeder is the answer to the 3rd line centre position as a regular. He is too small and puts himself in a position to get hit. When the playoffs start he will get hammered. He has performed admirably so far but is not a longterm solution.

Next years cap means that we are going to have to shed some salary and I would rather start that process now and get something of a return for our players rather than be in a desperate position.

Our defence can't get much better right now but our forwards are clearly struggling. The Sedins are not scoring at a point-per-game, Higgins isn't scoring at a 20 goal pace, Burrows is barely scoring at a 40 point pace and who knows how Kesler and Booth will be when they return.

We need a top-6 center who can play on the wing. You win cups with depth at center, Boston did it with 7 NHL centermen, L.A did it with 6 and Chicago/Pittsburgh/Detroit's depth at center is well documented. Guys like Peverley played a lot on the wing until injuries opened up spots.

Right now the Canucks have Henrik, Kesler, Lapierre and Malhotra as full-time NHL centers. 1 or 2 more would be nice and no, Schroeder does not count - he doesn't even have an NHL goal.

If we need any trades, maybe move Ballard and a goalie (preferably Schneider) for a good depth defenceman to replace Ballard in the 2-3 million range, then with the remaining 5 million in cap, try and nab a high-end forward. Plenty of teams around the league need veteran defencemen and a future star goaltender, Edmonton reaaally comes to mind here.

We have extra depth on left wing (Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Higgins, Volpatti, prospect Jensen) obviously in goal and on left D (Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard, Garrison, hickup Barker, prospect hickup Connauton).

On right wing our depth chart is Kassian, Hansen, Weise which really is not great, and 3 guys in front of Weise who play off wing pretty good. I think there is ample argument we can still use a top 6 winger. Considering the average weight on the left, I'd say it would be even more attractive if could score a big right wing.

At centre we have depth, but not high end depth behind Kesler and Sedin. A 70 point centre would add amazing scoring behind the top 2 and shelter us from injury.

Our best move would be a right shot, puck rushing D. Oh, we also have FOUR left D capable of playing on the top 2 positions. And none are particularly good on the right side. We could easily move one of Garrison, Ballard, Edler or Hamhuis. Which one?

But the point is we can give up a left D, a goalie and a left wing, not miss a beat and fill some needed roles???

If Kesler and Booth get back soon and can get into proper form, and if the 2nd line can get rolling again with Higgins or some other combo, and if Pinnizzotto can replace Weise on the 4th line, and Garrison plays up to expecations, things should be looking pretty good. Good depth on d with Barker, Alberts, Vandermeer ready to fill in if needed. Maybe another sniper for some extra offensive firepower is the only thing that might be needed.

IMO for this season were pretty good if we can get everyone healthy going into playoffs. Raymond and Higgy are UFA at the end of this season. I assume we won't resign them for cap reasons. If we can get a piece to help us for the future for em great. The canucks need a right shot on d someone who can log 20 mins and move bodies from our crease and make a crisp pass out Nothing flashy. Yes I propose trading Ballard Raymond Higgins for nothing flashy + picks/prospects/ new backup if needed.

As for the goalie situation which ever one gets traded or beheaded (there shall be only one). Picks and prospects would be my focus and maybe a Filler 3C.

team would look like this

Sedins Kass

Booth Kes Shred

Burr Filler3c Hansen

Patti Malhotra Max Lap

Ham Juice

Edler Tanev

Garri Nothing Flashy

in sys. Jensen, Gaunce, K Con, Corrado, Picks, Prospects.

We have to trade CS or Luongo, we have 2 great assets there but we could only play 1 at a time, so with CS/Luo sitting on the bench is a waste of an asset.

our playoff window has only like 2 years left (this season and the next), so we cant afford to waste those years.

We neeed to trade to strenghten our 12 forwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - (TRADE)

Higgins - Lappiere - Hansen

Hamhuis - Edler

Garrison - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

That depth would easily get us back to the Finals.

Trade Luongo for a top 6 gritty scoring forward.

Raymond needs to go as he not a big enough body for the third and not productive enough for second.

Combinations of Raymond,Higgins,Malholtra and Weise for one bottom 6 forward with size and a edge and possibly even Booth as you still don`t know if he`ll work.

As for trading Schroeder for a Defensive 3 rd line center. How `d that work out last year, besides I think Av likes that he`s proved pretty solid defensively plus has scoring potential.

People keep saying we're SO STACKED..............BS! Do these people even look at some of the other teams?

Many of our players fade away in the best of 7 rounds. We need to get bigger. We lose focus so easily both at GM level and on these boards it is frightening.

Yes, we need to trade one of our goalies. It's unhealthy for both goalies to continue on with the controversy the media and the rest of the hockey world is putting on them. For all those people who are saying lets just keep both, you obviously don't realize that.

Lu may have been more "tight lipped" about the whole situation, but it was obviously and probably still is bothering him.. I mean, how could it not? He was our starter and was supposed to be signed long term, for the rest of his career. After losing in the final all of a sudden he is unappreciated? Talk about sore losers the fans of Vancouver are. Just because you were hearing it from all angles from bandwagon fans and rest of the NHL competition, why should you have to agree? It just plainly shows how weak your commitment as a fan and to this franchise really is, it's laughable.

Schneider on the other hand is just more open about his concerns. (Though I don't think getting your agent to publicly complain was the way express it) I think once a trade is finally done, we can gain a few small pieces and hopefully just move on and focus more fully as a team. I'm pretty certain on this, the only way that I admit that I'm wrong is if we go to the final with both goalies and win the cup. lol Then I will happily eat my words, but unless that happens please let's stop this from dragging on for any longer than it has to.

EDIT: Maybe a deal just can't be done? From how Lu has been playing and taken the situation, I wonder why anybody isn't showing more interest.. A lot of these teams have shaky goaltending, it's bad tactics imo if they are simply low balling and just trying to get him for cheaper later... At least show that you are wiling to give something up for a player of that calibre, it shows commitment to the player. I was really hoping Washington was it, but who knows. <_<

There are two areas that I think we need a trade in:

1) Goalies - I just don't think this pattern of alternating our two "#1's" is going to last long term. Sure everything is cordial & polite for the time being, but when it comes playoff time, I really don't see Schneider & Luongo being comfortable sharing the net. This needs to be resolved. Maybe not today or this week, but eventually, and before the playoffs.

2) Scoring depth. This team had trouble scoring last season. Not just in the crucial playoff games, but in the second of the regular season itself. We might have Kassian to fill in some of that scoring for now, but to put all that pressure on one kid isn't a good gameplan. We need another solid thirdliner who can shutdown and also score from time to time, so that pressure can be taken off the first & second lines so that they can concentrate on scoring.

Just my two cents.

Take the team and Schneider's bad first game where coughed up 7 & we're the top defensive team in the league. We've also won 5 of our last 7. And that even though we're 15th in goal scoring.

I know we'll score more when Kesler draws some of the defensive match ups from the Twins. Here is our priorities though;

Right D is by far #1. Here's why; What happens if Bieksa goes down? I know Tanev is playing great, but he's skinny as a rail. We could also use a right handed shot who can rush the puck. Well, that's dreaming but its a point. See LA last year; teams will load match ups and punish us Tanev's on our top D pair.

Scoring should be our number one priority, aside from shoring up right D. Heck, that puck rushing D, see our league #1 offense with Erhoff, could be enough? But our centre and RW depth is also not exciting, there are numerous combinations of additions that could bring up our goal tally with some extra size also a must have inclusive!

Archived