Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

No Need for Any Trades

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

Poll: No Need for Any Trades (116 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the Canucks need to make a trade for this season?

1. Voted yes (79 votes [68.10%])

Percentage of vote: 68.10%

2. no (37 votes [31.90%])

Percentage of vote: 31.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Trade them all.

Jagermeister.jpg

#62 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

You make a good point. I was more so impressed by Quick's overall playoff performance, but strictly in the finals, I think Thomas was more impressive. Both I believe are key examples of a goalie winning their team a championship. We gave the Kings their toughest challenge until the final, but I believe the Devils stacked up against them better than we did last year. When it comes down to it, you still have to find a way to score some goals. Lou was lights out for most of the run in 2011, the Bruins found a way to get pucks past him. Was LA not one of the lowest scoring teams last season? But they made some moves and put pucks in the net in the playoffs.

2011, Tampa and I think Montreal too took Boston to 7 games. It's not meant to take anything away from what Thomas did that year, but those teams were in that series until the very end. From game 3 on, the way we played for the most part, we might have well have just packed it in and called it over. I thought for sure after we went up 2-0, that the Cup was ours. But then Thomas took over, and kudos to him. It is still up to us to get pucks past the other team's goaltender, no matter how they're playing. If we don't, regardless of who we have in net, on the bench, or how they're playing, we are not going to win. I think either goalie could get us to a final. Lou has proven he can. We need another scoring threat. Our offence and PP are too predictable, and an injection of high talent in those areas could get us that elusive trophy.

Quick was stellar in backing the Kings to the Cup, and I think they kind of went into cruise control a bit in the finals. Nothing against NJ, they did play a really good defensive game against them, but it seemed to me like LA wasnt firing quite like they were earlier in the post season.

Thomas' finals were probably the greatest performance by a goalie ever. People talk about how it was the big bad Bruins that beat the Canucks, but the truth is, it was Thomas who beat us, hands down.

Im not certain but I believe the Canucks have faced and lost to the eventual Cup champs something like 4 times in the last 6 years.

LA, Boston, Chicago, Anahiem all in the last 6 years

That seriously hurts.

#63 Elliot

Elliot

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Quick was stellar in backing the Kings to the Cup, and I think they kind of went into cruise control a bit in the finals. Nothing against NJ, they did play a really good defensive game against them, but it seemed to me like LA wasnt firing quite like they were earlier in the post season.

Thomas' finals were probably the greatest performance by a goalie ever. People talk about how it was the big bad Bruins that beat the Canucks, but the truth is, it was Thomas who beat us, hands down.

Im not certain but I believe the Canucks have faced and lost to the eventual Cup champs something like 4 times in the last 6 years.

LA, Boston, Chicago, Anahiem all in the last 6 years

That seriously hurts.

After LA's dominance of Western Conference opponents, maybe they were just a little burnt out. Their style of play had to tire their team a great deal. But they got it done. I still think NJ looked like they had a better chance to beat them than we did. That's not to say I would think that regularly, just based on ours and NJ's performance respectively.

I think it's a bit of a combination of the two. Boston did to us the same thing Chicago did for two years. But after games 1 and 2, in which he was still good, Thomas just flipped a switch and went into a whole new level. Hands down the best performance I have ever seen from a goalie in the post season. But in the end I agree, Thomas pretty much single handedly brought a Cup to that franchise.

Yeah, you're right. It hurts is an understatement I'd say. And I don't want to see it happen again. That's why I believe we need to add some pieces yet. I'd like to see us outscore, shutdown, knock around, out skate...overall just run over any team we meet in the playoffs. Kinda like SJ in the WCF. I think we have a team that could go on a decent run, but a move or two to put us over the top puts us that much closer to a Cup.
Posted Image

#64 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yes, King said kesler doesn't have a good relationship with the city of Vancouver. I expect him gone by the deadline.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.