The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Shepard Concerned Citizens Of BC makes borderline liable comment about Adrian Dix

J529

I take it you mean "libellous" in that it is defamatory.

It does not seem to me to be to even close to the borderline.

Dix admitted to committing fraud and forgery as well as attempting to obstruct justice - so it seems to me that more than supports the observation that he is unethical. Dix's position - It was a mistake. Ya think? Or is it only a mistake because you got caught?

Dix has played fast and loose with the law in a number of circumstances. I set it out in detail in the past:

/topic/337677-premier-christy-clark-glad-to-be-a-milf/page__st__30#entry11036044">http://forum.canucks...0#entry11036044

Vaughn Palmer of the Vancouver Sun notes that Adrian Dix's ethical lapses are not limited to fraudulent memos.

• Dix slithered around the laws regarding recall campaigns - and that law was passed by the BC NDP.

• Pulling the Six Mile Ranch out of the ALR - Dix was dispatched on behalf of Glen Clark to try to pressure the Chair of the ALR which is supposedly an independent tribunal - again established by the NDP. The Chair of the ALR called for a public inquiry - that was ignored by the NDP government.

• The BC Hydro/ Raiwind Power Project tax dodge - Dix attended the meetings on behalf of Glen Clark when the scheme was hatched but we are supposed to believe that nothing was known of this by the Premier? BC Hydro John Laxton fell on his sword as result.

As Palmer points out if you are going to point a finger at the BC Liberals you best be coming to the party with clean hands and Dix does not have them.

http://www.canada.co...230f2521&k=8094

As such the comments seem to fit squarely within the defence of fair comment set out by the Supreme Court of Canada in a defamation suit brought by Christian values advocate Kari Simpson against radio host Rafe Mair and WIC Radio Ltd.

WIC Radio Ltd. v. Simpson, [2008] 2 S.C.R. 420, 2008 SCC 40

http://csc.lexum.org...m/5670/index.do

The judgment sets forth the standards for defamation to be found in areas of public interest and they are:

(a) the comment must be on a matter of public interest;

(B) the comment must be based on fact;

(c ) the comment, though it can include inferences of fact, must be recognizable as comment;

(d) the comment must satisfy the following objective test: could any [person] honestly express that opinion on the proved facts?

(e) even though the comment satisfies the objective test, the defence can be defeated if the plaintiff proves that the defendant was actuated by express malice.

So in summary this comment does not appear to be anywhere near the borderline and in fact may be several miles miles distant.

Actually he is shining a light on the dubvious character of a man that would lead this province. If that somehow equates to manipulation I can assume you (and your ilk) feel that it is somehow underhanded to lobby gov't in favor of a given industry. If people are going to vote they need to make an informed decision regarding their choices. It's most likely that the majority of people are unaware of Dixs fraudulent past while in government. This issue needs to be shown the light of day. If the people still decide that this the way to go then at least they will have only themselves to blame.

i dont even know where to vote provincially anymore, the NDP is just atrocious adrian dix are they serious? as for the liberals i dont really want to vote for them either after the whole HST/olympic/bridge toll debacles but there really isnt any good alternative.

i dont recall who jim shepard is any background info? was i under a rock?

i dont even know where to vote provincially anymore, the NDP is just atrocious adrian dix are they serious? as for the liberals i dont really want to vote for them either after the whole HST/olympic/bridge toll debacles but there really isnt any good alternative.

i dont recall who jim shepard is any background info? was i under a rock?

Big money CEO who most claim is a bagman for Jim Pattison and his cronies.. the ones who really run our Province from behind closed doors .. a part of the "power elite" .. google both Jim's, Pattison and Shepard, but keep a barf-bag close to hand while reading ..

I had to wikipedia Pattison, was surprised to see this on his wikipedia page...

"On April 16, 2009 Jim Pattison announced that Save-On Foods has donated $100,000 to CBC Television in order to rent high definition trucks for away games during the Vancouver Canucks' 2009 1st round NHL playoff series versus the St. Louis Blues. Prior to this donation, CBC stated that it would not broadcast HD away games in St. Louis due to the cost of renting high definition equipment during the current tough economic times and major cuts to funding for the CBC by the federal government."

Archived