Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Volpatti vs Wiese

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: Volpatti vs Wiese (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think is better?

1. Aaron Volpatti (77 votes [70.64%])

Percentage of vote: 70.64%

2. Dale Wiese (32 votes [29.36%])

Percentage of vote: 29.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

I see Wiese received a lot of hype from his (lol) Dutch League success. Then he had a flashy first couple games.

On the other hand, Volpatti has consistently been a good 4th line grinder who actually hasn't received as much attention as Wiese has.

I also see line-up [suggestions?] on these boards including Wiese (sometimes on the 3rd line!) while Volpatti isn't even in the line-up.

I personally think Volpatti has played better than Wiese has.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#2 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

I love them both.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#3 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Yea, me too. They're both awesome. I mostly ask because this line-up is going to start getting really full when Kesler and Booth eventually come back.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#4 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,991 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

They're both good and bring a little different skillset. Why do we have to pick one we like better?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Dale Weise hands is the better hockey player. However, Aaron Volpatti understands his role and plays his role.

Weise doesn't always finish his checks and doesn't drop the gloves consistently. Though he's better this year, is #2 in hits. Last year, when Volpatti went out with his injury, he had like two times the hits Weise had.

Edited by Opmac, 07 February 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Weise should have "better" upside offensively (though that's really not saying much, I'd say max. 15 points in the NHL and I'd be happy) and he's definitely looked faster skating-wise since he came back. He also hits and is defensively responsible and can probably become a poor-man's Lapierre in the NHL minus the chirping.

Volpatti on the other hand is an energy winger. He's strong on forechecks and in hitting but I'm not sure what to expect of him if he got breakaways or had the opportunity to snipe, since he's more or less a guy who bangs in rebounds or passes in front and I'm not sure that he can create off the rush (contrary to Weise).

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#7 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

Weise has improved since last year and I think has done well as a 4th liner so far. I have to say though, I think Volpatti has done great too and makes us the harder team to play against (he's actually OK at fighting..). I'd go with Volpatti, but it's close.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 07 February 2013 - 12:27 AM.

#8 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Like them for what exactly? They're both 4th line complimentary players. I wouldn't want either on the ice without a Higgins/Hansen/Lappy/Manny as the main piece on that line.

So, who is the better 13th forward? Weise, technically.

#9 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Volpatti is a good 4th liner

Weise can be a good 3rd liner, maybe more.

#10 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Both have gotten way better compared to last season. Last year Volpatti couldn't keep up with Lappy and Weise offensively at the beginning of the season and was much slower, this year he's shown that he can keep the play in the o zone instead of blowing it. Last year Weise wasn't throwing his body around but showed that he had potential, he still has a long way to go but he's been great so far.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#11 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Volpatti has hands of stone, but his skill set it much more needed by our team, and thus he's more valuable to us than Weise.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#12 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

At least I know Volpatti is a tough guy. Weise? I don't know what he is....he is not a tough guy, nor is he a guy who can hit hard, score goals...what is he? He is nothing.

#13 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

Volpatti all the way, just hope he can stay healthy. Weise is a solid fill-in 4th liner but we already have too many type of players like him who play a bigger role on this team. We should preferably get someone who is tougher.

#14 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

can probably become a poor-man's Lapierre in the NHL minus the chirping.

Lapierre is a poor man's Lapierre.

(Nothing against him but he is a low cap hit bottom six kind of guy. He has done a good job but if he playing anywhere but the 4th line the team has some holes. )

#15 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

Volpatti is a good 4th liner

Weise can be a good 3rd liner, maybe more.

Posted Image

#16 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

A 4th line of Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinnizotto is what I want to see moving forward.

Patti is by far the best hitter on this team and a decent fighter, much more valuable then what Weise brings to the table right now.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#17 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

I've liked Volpatti as an energy player but Weise has been killing penalties and thus is a more versatile player. In a condensed season where minutes for our top players have to be rationed, having a player like Weise be able to play more minutes will help keep the team fresher by the time the playoffs come around.

#18 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

Volpatti brings more toughness and Weise more speed and flexability. If your playing a team like Edmonton, then put Weise in. If it's SJ or Ana make it Volpatti.

Unsure why people are mentioning Pinizzotto. 28yrs old and he's never played in the NHL. I think he has some impressing to do in the AHL first.

#19 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

kesler and booth back, i dont think either makes the team anymore with the strong play of shroeder. if i have to choose, i would go with volpatti... understands his role better, would be nice if he did it better. dont get me wrong, i understand that both of these players are on a level i could only dream about, but it is what it is, and it is what it isnt

#20 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

kesler and booth back, i dont think either makes the team anymore with the strong play of shroeder. if i have to choose, i would go with volpatti... understands his role better, would be nice if he did it better. dont get me wrong, i understand that both of these players are on a level i could only dream about, but it is what it is, and it is what it isnt

Make no mistake, Schroeder will be back in the AHL once Kesler and Booth are back unless there are other injuries to our top 6.

2 assists in 7 games from a 5'8" 175 lbs skill player isn't exactly a screaming endorsement to put other players on waivers rather than send him waivers-free back to the A.

#21 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

My vote will forever go for Rypien.

#22 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

credit to noobxqb... never really thought two 6'2 scoring forwards could replace the gap left by the loss of the 2 6'1 non scoring forwards, especially when they have played smaller than the 5'8 grinding forward. schroeders size has meant nothing so far, unless you mean him being fast enough to evade fistric's (who i thought was the oilers best pickup this year) hit, which ended up in fistric being injured) if you think teams are drooling over volpatti and wiese than you think the nhl is super desperate. i like weise and volpatti, but i like having people who have other talents other than small bumps on the boards, weak wrist shots and weaker forechecks. for anyone who think small guys cant be tough, go talk to to tie domi, theo fleury, or rob ray. any day of the weak i would keep schroeder in my line-up if i wanted to win the cup, especially if i had pinizzoto and archibald waiting in the wings

forgot to add the first bit was absolute sarcasm

Edited by spentral, 07 February 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#23 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

Make no mistake, Schroeder will be back in the AHL once Kesler and Booth are back unless there are other injuries to our top 6.

2 assists in 7 games from a 5'8" 175 lbs skill player isn't exactly a screaming endorsement to put other players on waivers rather than send him waivers-free back to the A.

I actually like Schroeder's play better than Booth's.

We need to give Schroeder a bit longer than 7 games. He has looked dangerous and maybe just needs to get that first goal or 2. What I really like about Schroeder is he is not greedy and that leads to much more fluent attack.
True he hasn't a big body but is he looking any less effective out there after 7 games in that department than say Hodgson did?

I would like to trade Booth for someone like Clowe and see what a line of Raymond - Schroeder - Clowe could do.

Back on topic, I have always liked Volpatti more than Weise ON THE 4TH. I say that because that is where they should be compared. If we find we are putting a guy like Weise on the 3rd we have lost the plot.

I think Volpatti has all the 4th line qualities needed BUT I also think he can do more and needs to be "ridden hard" by AV. I think he could still contribute more, points wise and he is a big solid body who should make life uncomfortable for net minders.
He is one of the few players who doesn't step back. Let's face it who else would actually have "gone after" Douglas Murray on our team..........probably only Kassian

I still think he shook Murray with that punch when he got his arm free.

Edited by Bodee, 07 February 2013 - 04:39 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#24 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,866 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

Just cycle them. 40 games each. Just like goaltending, we can play whoever's playing the best at their position on any given night. If Weise has a good game, lots of chances and hits then he should get the next game. If he's invisible or takes a bad penalty, throw Volpatti in.

We could even throw Pinizotto into this mix when he returns.
Posted Image

#25 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

credit to noobxqb... never really thought two 6'2 scoring forwards could replace the gap left by the loss of the 2 6'1 non scoring forwards, especially when they have played smaller than the 5'8 grinding forward. schroeders size has meant nothing so far, unless you mean him being fast enough to evade fistric's (who i thought was the oilers best pickup this year) hit, which ended up in fistric being injured) if you think teams are drooling over volpatti and wiese than you think the nhl is super desperate. i like weise and volpatti, but i like having people who have other talents other than small bumps on the boards, weak wrist shots and weaker forechecks. for anyone who think small guys cant be tough, go talk to to tie domi, theo fleury, or rob ray. any day of the weak i would keep schroeder in my line-up if i wanted to win the cup, especially if i had pinizzoto and archibald waiting in the wings

forgot to add the first bit was absolute sarcasm

Volpatti and Weise are #1 and #2 on the team in hits and Volpatti hits like a train, but sure, they play smaller than Schroeder :lol:

Edited by n00bxQb, 07 February 2013 - 05:14 AM.

#26 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

i said small hits on the the boards, not more hits... and please tell me if there is one person in the league who thinks that volpatti hits like a train??? name the guy who is scared when the almighty volpatti steps on the ice???

#27 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

I actually like Schroeder's play better than Booth's.

We need to give Schroeder a bit longer than 7 games. He has looked dangerous and maybe just needs to get that first goal or 2. What I really like about Schroeder is he is not greedy and that leads to much more fluent attack.
True he hasn't a big body but is he looking any less effective out there after 7 games in that department than say Hodgson did?

I would like to trade Booth for someone like Clowe and see what a line of Raymond - Schroeder - Clowe could do.

Back on topic, I have always liked Volpatti more than Weise ON THE 4TH. I say that because that is where they should be compared. If we find we are putting a guy like Weise on the 3rd we have lost the plot.

I think Volpatti has all the 4th line qualities needed BUT I also think he can do more and needs to be "ridden hard" by AV. I think he could still contribute more, points wise and he is a big solid body who should make life uncomfortable for net minders.
He is one of the few players who doesn't step back. Let's face it who else would actually have "gone after" Douglas Murray on our team..........probably only Kassian

I still think he shook Murray with that punch when he got his arm free.

That's fine if you like the way he plays better, but the fact is Booth is a substantially more developed offensive player than Schroeder is at this point in time and, even in an injury-plagued and sub-par year, he put up 16 goals in 62 games (pace: 21 goals in full season). He's a top 6 player who is, at worst, a 20-goal scorer (over 82 games) and, at best, a 30+-goal scorer.

I'd trade Booth for Clowe, too, but San Jose wouldn't. Clowe is a better player and a big part of that team.

Hodgson was there to be showcased so they could trade him. MG admitted that. They put him in a position to succeed offensively and the result was that we had Kesler's line playing the primary checking role, which resulted in sub-par offensive production from all 3 regular members of that line (and, of course, it didn't help that none of them were ever 100% last year with Raymond returning from a broken back, Kesler returning too early from offseason surgery, and Booth taking that knee-on-knee early in the season).

So do you put those guys (Booth-Kesler-Raymond) back in a position to fail, breeding contempt from a fanbase well-known to jump all over veteran players who have degraded statistics or do you send the kid back to the AHL and let Lapierre/Malhotra do their jobs as the #3/#4 checking centers, which allows Kesler and Booth to be offensive players?

#28 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

i said small hits on the the boards, not more hits... and please tell me if there is one person in the league who thinks that volpatti hits like a train??? name the guy who is scared when the almighty volpatti steps on the ice???

Have you watched the games?

Here's a small hit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0uPdECmR58

Edited by n00bxQb, 07 February 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#29 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

I think he hits like a train. What are you on? Do you seriously think any one of these guys want's to see Volpatti coming at them again?

Kevin.jpg

#30 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

those are good videos.... and i already said i liked volpatti, and i stand corrected. i am not ashamed or too proud to admit that. i appreciate you showing some wicked vids to prove me wrong!!! still would rather have schroeder in my line up though. damn those were some bad @$$ hits!!! were they all from 2011???

seriously not trying to be a smart @$$, i just dont know

Edited by spentral, 07 February 2013 - 06:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.