The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Volpatti vs Wiese

Bananas

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

credit to noobxqb... never really thought two 6'2 scoring forwards could replace the gap left by the loss of the 2 6'1 non scoring forwards, especially when they have played smaller than the 5'8 grinding forward. schroeders size has meant nothing so far, unless you mean him being fast enough to evade fistric's (who i thought was the oilers best pickup this year) hit, which ended up in fistric being injured) if you think teams are drooling over volpatti and wiese than you think the nhl is super desperate. i like weise and volpatti, but i like having people who have other talents other than small bumps on the boards, weak wrist shots and weaker forechecks. for anyone who think small guys cant be tough, go talk to to tie domi, theo fleury, or rob ray. any day of the weak i would keep schroeder in my line-up if i wanted to win the cup, especially if i had pinizzoto and archibald waiting in the wings

forgot to add the first bit was absolute sarcasm

Make no mistake, Schroeder will be back in the AHL once Kesler and Booth are back unless there are other injuries to our top 6.

2 assists in 7 games from a 5'8" 175 lbs skill player isn't exactly a screaming endorsement to put other players on waivers rather than send him waivers-free back to the A.

Just cycle them. 40 games each. Just like goaltending, we can play whoever's playing the best at their position on any given night. If Weise has a good game, lots of chances and hits then he should get the next game. If he's invisible or takes a bad penalty, throw Volpatti in.

We could even throw Pinizotto into this mix when he returns.

credit to noobxqb... never really thought two 6'2 scoring forwards could replace the gap left by the loss of the 2 6'1 non scoring forwards, especially when they have played smaller than the 5'8 grinding forward. schroeders size has meant nothing so far, unless you mean him being fast enough to evade fistric's (who i thought was the oilers best pickup this year) hit, which ended up in fistric being injured) if you think teams are drooling over volpatti and wiese than you think the nhl is super desperate. i like weise and volpatti, but i like having people who have other talents other than small bumps on the boards, weak wrist shots and weaker forechecks. for anyone who think small guys cant be tough, go talk to to tie domi, theo fleury, or rob ray. any day of the weak i would keep schroeder in my line-up if i wanted to win the cup, especially if i had pinizzoto and archibald waiting in the wings

forgot to add the first bit was absolute sarcasm

I actually like Schroeder's play better than Booth's.

We need to give Schroeder a bit longer than 7 games. He has looked dangerous and maybe just needs to get that first goal or 2. What I really like about Schroeder is he is not greedy and that leads to much more fluent attack.

True he hasn't a big body but is he looking any less effective out there after 7 games in that department than say Hodgson did?

I would like to trade Booth for someone like Clowe and see what a line of Raymond - Schroeder - Clowe could do.

Back on topic, I have always liked Volpatti more than Weise ON THE 4TH. I say that because that is where they should be compared. If we find we are putting a guy like Weise on the 3rd we have lost the plot.

I think Volpatti has all the 4th line qualities needed BUT I also think he can do more and needs to be "ridden hard" by AV. I think he could still contribute more, points wise and he is a big solid body who should make life uncomfortable for net minders.

He is one of the few players who doesn't step back. Let's face it who else would actually have "gone after" Douglas Murray on our team..........probably only Kassian

I still think he shook Murray with that punch when he got his arm free.

i said small hits on the the boards, not more hits... and please tell me if there is one person in the league who thinks that volpatti hits like a train??? name the guy who is scared when the almighty volpatti steps on the ice???

those are good videos.... and i already said i liked volpatti, and i stand corrected. i am not ashamed or too proud to admit that. i appreciate you showing some wicked vids to prove me wrong!!! still would rather have schroeder in my line up though. damn those were some bad @$$ hits!!! were they all from 2011???

seriously not trying to be a smart @$$, i just dont know

Volpatti from Revelstoke BC.

Is living his dream right now and it shows.

I'd like to see someone try and take that away from him

I bet he has been imagining himself scoring the Stanley cup game winning goal with a Canucks sweater on since he was 6.

Probably my favorite Canuck right now.

The max that either Volpatti and Weise will provide for the Canucks is fourth line play. I think we all want our fourth line to be an energy line, laying on the body, forechecking hard and not being a defensive liability. In the games that I've seen so far, our fourth line has outplayed our opponent's fourth line and even when our fourth has been on the ice against the opponent's 1-3 lines, they have held their own.

Having said that, Volpatti has shown that he is a keeper as our fourth line LW...he hits hard, forechecks hard, and in my opinion, is better at chucking them than Weise. It's a close call, but I'd take Volpatti over Weise.

Weise has certainly been given a fair shake on the third line, but he looks like he's miscast in that role...I think a fourth line made up of Volpatti (LW) -- Lapierre ( C ) -- Weise (RW) would qualify as one of the best fourth lines in the league.

I'll take Volpatti, who fits just nicely in the 4th line LW spot. He's #1 on the Canucks in hits and was top 5 in the league after the last time the Canucks played (20th in the league now, with 28 hits). He's also a pretty darn good fighter. Weise is also effective and does bring the physical dimension that Volpatti does, but not to as high a degree, even if he is only one hit behind Volpatti (27).

Basically, both are solid, physical 4th line grinders and one has the edge in toughness and physicality overall (Volpatti) while one has the edge in hockey skills (Weise). Normally you'd take the guy who is the better overall hockey player but I think the team is good enough that they need the tougher, more physical player, even if he is more limited skill wise, even more.

Archived