Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bananas

Volpatti vs Wiese

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is better?

• Aaron Volpatti
    • Dale Wiese

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

109 posts in this topic

those are good videos.... and i already said i liked volpatti, and i stand corrected.  i am not ashamed or too proud to admit that.  i appreciate you showing some wicked vids to prove me wrong!!!  still would rather have schroeder in my line up though.  damn those were some bad @$$ hits!!!  were they all from 2011???

seriously not trying to be a smart @$$, i just dont know

Props for your admission. Not all were from 2011 but there are others from that year that aren't on youtube. Volpatti is a beast, a young one at that. Imagine him and Kassian once they get some NHL seasons under their belt, their presences will be well respected on the ice.

Both have good qualities. Weise is better offensively. Volpatti is a better fighter and hitter, although Weise can hit as well and deserves credit for not backing down from fights even though he usually ends up on the losing end.

Both are not the most gifted or skilled guys, but their not expected to be. They are depth players that do their jobs well.

I like having both on the team for what they bring to the table.

man wiese has had a good period , set up a good chance and went hand to hand with one of the leagues toughest guys

Weise is a smart fighter but also is a smart hockey player. I remember when we claimed Weise and elected to keep him over Oreskovich was MG said his scouting staff saw something in Weise. Something more than just a fourth line plug who could fight but have some hockey IQ upside in his game. Weise is still young at 24. He has lots to learn still being his 2nd full NHL season. Weise BTW tonight had two fights and held his own.

Volpatti on the other end really is one dimensional player. He wont be much more than a prototypical grinder who drops the mits.

Volpatti but Wiese is improving, I was impressed with his resistance to drops the gloves tonight during our 4-0 lead against the Wild.

According to hockeyfights.com, Weise hasn't won a single fight he has had while playing for the Canucks....including his 2 losses against Planet Z today.

I hate how Zenon Konopka fights. He constantly "hugs" whomever he fights.

I'm a Weise guy I guess, I just can't say no to that chin. Weise has more potential, he gets a decent amount of chances as well as being pretty physical and a good fighter. I don't really notice volpatti do anything other than throw the occasional big hit.

I don't like Dale Weise in our lineup at all. Volpatti is much more in the mold of what I'd like to see our fourth line being- an energy line that can maintain momentum when we have it, and give us a little jump when we don't. Part of the reason LA and Boston were so successful in their postseason campaigns was because their fourth lines did just that. They had the luxury of being able to roll their fourth line whenever they wanted and having them be able to sustain offensive pressure, and not worrying about them being defensive liabilities when the other team had momentum. They had big, bruising fourth lines that were frothing at the mouth whenever they hit the ice. When you have an effective fourth line, it takes pressure of off the other three- too many times you see AV end up rolling 3 lines in tight games. Volpatti is that kind of player. He's not a skilled hockey player. But he brings that energy to the ice that is so useful to a hockey team.

Dale Weise is a more well rounded hockey player. However, I use that term very lightly because rounded as he is, he is brutally mediocre at everything he does. He isn't tough enough to be shown any respect on the ice. His hits aren't nearly hard enough to have anybody's head on a swivel. His shot is pathetic. He doesn't show the hustle and grit to win puck battles consistently. He could improve in the future, and if he does I will be the first to admit that he proved me wrong, but I don't see it happening.

I would much rather have had us keep Byron Bitz than Weise- he was a guy who had something to prove and the skill set to do it. He was that type of fourth liner that could be very valuable to a championship team. I was rooting for him, and I really liked what I saw. Unfortunately, a team can only have so many depth forwards, and I suppose with a lot of promise from our guys with the Wolves, he felt Bitz had to go.

Two guys I'm really hopeful for are Darren Archibald and Steve Pinizzotto. Pinizzotto should have gotten his chance a long time ago, but he has to be one of the unluckiest players in hockey. Injuries have derailed his career for a long time, but he's gotten back with the Wolves, and could be ready to go soon. He's a gritty, feisty player with offensive upside. He makes things happen in front of the net. Archibald is a guy who could easily be a great bottom six player in the NHL, and possibly a fringe second liner if the stars align for him. He's a big guy who is never afraid to drop the gloves, and can deliver some big hits. He has nice hands, and a good shot. He's been a solid net presence wherever he's been. Unlike Weise, he was an offensive dynamo in the OHL- much more competitive than the Dutch League. His only problem is motivation- if he could get it together, he could be fantastic for us. I'd much rather see one of these guys get a shot on the fourth over Weise.

voted volpatti for the reasons everyone has already listed: fighting, hitting, energy. Weise may be the all around better player but i really like watching volpatti because he plays the 4th line role so well.

Did anyone kinda feel bad for Wiese on the 2nd fight? it's like he got bullied into a fight, the way he dropped the gloves was sad :( I wanted Volpatti to come flying in there to save him lol.

Rypien37, Just wanted to say you are the only poster on here that makes any sence when it come to pugilism. I'll make it real simple folks. We have more than a handfull of young talent capable of filling Mr.Weise's shoes and let me say plenty that would hug and duck there way through fights to make our lineup. Boxing lessons? Dale should know that to win in boxing, you must be able to hit your opponent. Zenon challenged our bench people!, after Dale hung on for dear life with a middle weight X2.

Why did we sign Vandy? a capable D man that people actually fear? I'm confused as to how losing two fights in one game to a guy 30lbs less than you can spark or scare the other team into being honest.

Did anyone kinda feel bad for Wiese on the 2nd fight? it's like he got bullied into a fight, the way he dropped the gloves was sad :( I wanted Volpatti to come flying in there to save him lol.

Better player overall? Weise. Better role for the fourth line this season? Gotta go with Volpatti, been impressed with his play thus far.