Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Burrows or Kassian on the top line once Kesler is back?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Burrows or Kassian on the top line once Kesler is back? (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you like to see on the top line with the Sedins once Kesler returns

1. Burrows (54 votes [40.30%])

Percentage of vote: 40.30%

2. Kassian (80 votes [59.70%])

Percentage of vote: 59.70%

Who will actually end up playing there?

1. Burrows (85 votes [63.43%])

Percentage of vote: 63.43%

2. Kassian (49 votes [36.57%])

Percentage of vote: 36.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fuzzysheep

Fuzzysheep

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Hi all,

I've seen this referred to on multiple forums and wanted to post a poll on it to see what CDC thinks.

Once Kes comes back and Burrows isn't needed to centre the second line, should he go back to playing with the Sedins?

Kassian has played well but the Sedins haven't been up their usual standards, some are saying (Gary Vaulk for example) that their cycle game is being disrupted and Burrows should rejoin them. Others think that Kassian provides grit and protection for the Sedins along with a good scoring touch and a big body for the front of the net.

Other considerations:

1. How well will Kassian play with Kesler and Booth if he is dropped down, is this line then too one dimensional with 3 big power players?
2. Will Burrows play well in the same situation? He has had good chemistry with Kesler before.
3. What if Dale Weise starts playing like he did in Holland and demands a first line spot?
Odds are that ^ was sarcasm

#2 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

Burrows would be a good playmaker for Kesler and Booth, and they'd line up well against any top line in the league. Kassian on the top line makes the rest of our forwards look way better.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#3 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Burrows would be a good playmaker for Kesler and Booth, and they'd line up well against any top line in the league. Kassian on the top line makes the rest of our forwards look way better.

'cept the twins apparently.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#4 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

And our top line is producing despite the fact the Sedins have been off. They have been terrible together four on four, and our powerplay has looked weak. Give it some time, they haven't woken up yet. The whole league is a crap show right now, anyone with a fantasy team knows this.

Edit: People are going to get confused by what I said. The cycle game on the powerplay rarely involves the guy standing in front of the net, so four-on-four and powerplay are situations where it is all Sedinery.

Edited by bluesy_shoes, 07 February 2013 - 01:55 AM.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#5 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Sedins are used to having Burr on their line. Alex is playing well now and the twins seem to be improving as well. I would utilize Kass on that line if they're up against a team that is taking their liberties on the twins. I think Kass' passing and playmaking skills may enhance the 2nd line.

#6 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

Kassian on the second line may be a worthwhile experiment
Posted Image

#7 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Either, depending on who we're playing against. Sleight of hand.

#8 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

I'm hoping that Kassian at least holds that spot on the #1 powerplay. We all know that Kesler's been dynamite there, but that second unit needs help. Kesler also needs to start passing again.

#9 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

Once Kesler and Booth are back in the line up, I'd actually like to see a top line of the twins and Burr against speedier/skilled teams and the twins with Kass out against bigger more physical teams. I also guarantee that the twins will play well with either player on the right wing when we have everybody healthy again. A second line of Booth Kes Burr/Kass would definitely take some pressure off the twins.

#10 SevenDays

SevenDays

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

IMO this gives us an advantage depending on what kind of team we are up against.

If it's more on the physical side, like if the other team has top giant, shutdown defencemen = Kassian
He should be able to create some space for the twins.

If the other team has shallow D, maybe just a top pairing then considerably weaker 2nd or 3rd pairings = Burrows
The twins cycle better with Burrows so they should be able to work their Sedinery.

#11 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,238 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

There's some interesting combinations possible once Booth and Kesler return and there's going to be an odd man out.

Sedin/Sedin/Kassian
Raymond/Kesler/Burrows
Booth/Schroeder/Hansen
Higgins/Lappy/everybody else

The second line has great speed and defensive responsibility. Separating Booth and Kesler may be the solution to the two shoot don't pass guys. Yet both Raymond and Burrows are capable of scoring. The third line has Booth (the shooter) with two guys very capable playmakers and also has great speed. Hansen is solid defensively and Schroeder has shown so far that's he's also very capable. Both the second and third line have a shooter, great speed, and a solid defensive side.

The more likely scenario of course is Schroeder returning to Chicago as he's the guy that doesn't have to clear waivers.

Edited by Baggins, 07 February 2013 - 03:09 AM.

Posted Image

#12 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

i think AV should pick his spots. looking at either of those possibilities, they could both work. its worthwhile to try them out. i realize its a shortened season, but isnt it a coaches job to improve things other than stick with what works??? it would be nice to see a perspective based on multiple games, rather than knee-jerk assumptions, on what ACTUALLY works. its awesome seeing kassian being showcased and given a chance on the first line, but as if anyone in the world can take away what burrows has accomplished in that spot. ride them both, mix it up when the team needs energy (this goes for all lines by the way), the bottom line is never try to fit a square peg in a round hole. thats what coaching is, is finding what works, and then adapting when necessary.

#13 superglu

superglu

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

When everyone back I think AV should put to start

sedins / kassian ( 2 build up kassian progression, puts size n strength to the line)
booth/ kesler / burrows ( speed, great chemistry, good on d)
higgins / lappy / hansen (best line for 3rd, 3 guys who have great offensive n defensive awareness and works hard for the puck)
raymond / malhotra /or shroeder or weise or volpatti (speed, & decent shut down line, shroeder could play both positions

garrison / bieksa
hamhuis / edler
ballard / tanev

PP sedins /kesler
burrows / lappy / kassian
booth / higgins/ hansen

if we are down, say by 2 goals I believe AV should juggle the lines to change momentum and change the tactics of the game

sedins / burrows (great chemistry puts more speed and cycling to the line)
booth / kesler / kassian
higgins / lappy / hansen
raymond / malhotra /or shroeder or weise or volpatti

PP sedins / kassian
burrows / kesler / hansen
booth / lappy / higgins

These lines are great to juggle around. They have speed, size depending the situation of the game type

#14 Peter Gunn

Peter Gunn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

One thing for sure a line of Booth, Kesler and Kassian would probably lead the league in goalie interference, in some cases by committee.

#15 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

super glu is on the mark, especially when he mentions its great to juggle around... seriously look at that group of players, and then look around the league, we are doing pretty alright

in saying this, i did give peter gun a plus 1

Edited by spentral, 07 February 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#16 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

good as it gets.
Posted Image

#17 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Burrows back with the Sedins and moving Hansen up to play with Kesler.

Schroeder and Kassian already developed chemistry down with the Wolves, plus Raymond plays well with JS too. Let Kassian refocus back on his main purpose with the Canucks, to be a physical force. Any goals/points will come with their strong play.

#18 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

Burrows, he has a better cycling game. Yes Kassian had success, but I don't see the same sustain pressure in the offensive zone from them compared to when Burrows is playing with them

Kesler and Kassian will be a scary line for opposite defenseman, both on the forcheck and in front of the net.

#19 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth

good as it gets.

^These lines for sure^

Finally I see some very good line combos that I am almost certain we will all see on the ice when Kes and Booth return.

I think the 3rd of Raymond Schroeder Hansen is a lock for the 3rd line and I don't suspect we will see much of any players move up or down from that line. Great, young 3rd line, love it.

I do think, however, that Burr and Kass will rotate until AV feels like one does in fact work better than the other with the Sedins. I think Burr will end up there, too much chemistry between those three. Besides, Kass would be a great fit on the 2nd with Booth and Kes IMO.

I doubt that we will see Higgins move off the 4th line, he seems a little bit behind this year and others more deserving than he, but I mean common, look at that 4th line! That's a pretty awesome 4th line if you ask me! When we play against some tougher teams I could see AV sitting Manny in order to slot in Volpatti or Weise for some fighting toughness (I cross my fingers that it's PAtticakes so he can play Patticakes with his fists into someone's face) and move Lappy to the middle.

I cannot wait for Kes and Booth to return because these lines look so promising.

And FTR, I don't give a shat how CoHo is doing with Buffalo, in fact, I'm happy for him because he really is a natural point getter, however, I would WAYYYY rather have Kassian than him. With Kassian we can afford to keep Volpatti and Weise out of the lineup and roll some extremely stacked lines all the while knowing that if we need someone to beats some heads in, we have the toothless grin of a young BEAST chomping at the bit! "COACH, COACH, ME WANT TO SMASHIAN!!!" And he's scoring goals, and he's only going to improve as time goes on!

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#20 SheIsTheOne

SheIsTheOne

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

I just think Higgy would play better on second or the third line.

#21 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hope Kassian stays on the first line. Burrows & Kesler fits great together and Kassian is great with the twins. Our secondary scoring problems would be solved.

#22 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Both. Especially in a playoff series. It seems that teams are able to figure out the Burr-Sedins line after a few games in a row and Kassina brings a different element. Or if a team is trying to push the Sedins around then swap in Kass. I feel that Burrows knows how to play with the Sedins the best but they can be figured out in a long series. For the rest of the regular season, give Kass as much time with them as possible so he can get a better feel how to play with them. Says a lot about Burrows when they plug him on so many different lines so he can get the players going. He is so important to this team.

#23 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth

good as it gets.

This. I love Kes and Burr together, they always have great chemistry
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#24 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

The twins definitely cycle better with Burrows, especially since he's better at tracking down and retrieving pucks for them. And Kass is actually a really underrated passer which might benefit Kes and Booth. Plus Kes, Booth, and Kass would give a lot of teams a really tough second matchup with there size and speed.

I think it all depends if AV wants to use the second as our shutdown line, which he probably will if Schroeder centers the third. In which case Burrows would be the best choice to shutdown pretty much any line in the league with Kes, while still providing some secondary scoring.

#25 Spyderr

Spyderr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

burr with twins
try booth with schroeder and raymond
kass kes hansen

checkers and shooters and passers on every line
Come on LU

#26 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,008 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

I like to see Kassian on that top line with the Sedins.

307mg00.jpg

#27 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

How about giving all the options a try, instead of locking our lines up and becoming so easily predictable in the playoffs?

#28 Malkin Cookies

Malkin Cookies

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Weise demanding first line minutes hahaha funny stuff

qrj53a.jpg

Thanks to VC

#29 jvdh11

jvdh11

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I would much prefer Kas on the first line as I think he helps with the physical side of things for the Sedins. However, Kas, Kesler and Booth could be the next Legion of Doom line. Remeber how they got put together after the 94 lockout.

#30 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

When AV switched Burrows onto the Twins line against the Oilers the pickup in their game was quite noticeable. Kassian's net presence is hugh but anticiaption of where the Twins want to go is not up to what Burrows can deliver. Creating chances coming from the corners or behind the net has been the Twins bread and butter ever since Burrows joined their line. I have always had some reservations about this as CUP quality d-cores tend to shut this down.

One aspect of the Twins' game that has not surfaced to date has been consistant point production. The Twin's finding an open dman for a point shot has been less than expected. I think this will change as the team moves further into the season and gains their game legs. A scoring d-core pulls the defending forwards higher up in the zone and allows more half board space and corner space. A question might be where Kassian fits if not on the 1st line?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.