37 replies to this topic

#31 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ii like how this article finally gives ballard some of the credit he desrves for mentoring tanev and showing him how to communicate in order to improve as a pairing. Does anyone still think tanevs improvement has nothing
to do with having ballard as a regular partner?

I've been waiting, as am sure you have, for him to get his props.
It seems like not too long ago there was a torrent of hate for Ballard that I always thought was completely unwarranted.
The best part of it is that there is a ton of exciting play yet to come from him. Can't wait for the next big hit.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#32 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Tanev is making Ballard look good
keep them together for he rest of the season
trade him for whatever because we cant afford him anyways

Edited by Burlinbert, 07 February 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#33 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

That's pretty much it, isn't it? I don't think we'd have too many complaints if he had a $2M cap hit, apart from maybe those that always complain, and he'd be a pretty good depth guy even with the cap going down to $64M next year. Unfortunately, it's those extra $2.2M that might mean we can't keep him beyond this year.

Love his attitude and what he brings into the locker room, and he has settled in nicely this year beside Tanev in a little easier minutes. Maybe we even see some offence contributed from that pairing this year, but he might be a casualty of year two of the new CBA.

For me, it's not just his cap hit, it's also what we gave up for him...We gave up a first round pick when Kuznetsov and Howden were still on the board. Imagine if we had one of those guys in our system...

#34 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

I agree that Bieksa has been more of a liability than an asset on the PP/SH/5-5...I love Bieksa, but he's playing like he's still skating around with his Buddies at UBC Arena.

I don't get your point about the "logistics" of having a right hand shot on the left point on the PP...the only time this is a real liability is when the puck is passed around the boards and d-man is trying to keep the puck in. Otherwise, it's to your advantage to have a right shooter on left point and vice versa as it gives you more angles and options for a pass or shot.

Exactly why. It also allows your defenceman to pinch more aggressively.

Posted Image

#35 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

He's playing much better this season....I still don't see it fesable to pay your 3rd pairing guy 4.2 million. No matter how you look at it he's not going to be moving up the depth chart here. I do expect him to be here the rest of this season; I don't expect to see him here next season. The better he plays the better off for us. Hell he was a prime buy-out candiate..I wouldnt say that's out of the woods yet but if he can mantain this play the rest of the year we should be able to get some assest for him.

#36 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

For me, it's not just his cap hit, it's also what we gave up for him...We gave up a first round pick when Kuznetsov and Howden were still on the board. Imagine if we had one of those guys in our system...

Acceptable risk. Kuznetsov has yet to agree to come over to the NHL and is playing the KHL on a new contract. Pretty easy to see why we'd avoid that. And Howden? I don't know, but I'd assume there was something they saw (or rather didn't see) in him that they were comfortable in passing on the pick. It does make sense when you consider we did need a good defenceman and weren't guaranteed to get Hamhuis at the time.

Sure, it didn't work in hindsight, even if he's managed to be pretty decent for us this year. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good deal in principle at the time.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#37 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Yup ive been saying this all along, ballard takes step, steps in for Edler...

Edler and Schneider OR Luongo + plugs

For OVECHKIN and HOLTBY

BOOM

#38 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Tanev is making Ballard look good
keep them together for he rest of the season
trade him for whatever because we cant afford him anyways

I like Tanev and all but come on! They both make each other good, compliment each other well and have both made huge strides.

I've always liked Ballard and still think we won that Grabner trade..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.