The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler's Relationship With Vancouver: On Shaky Ground

King of the ES

After hearing AV's recent over-the-top assessment of Kesler's progress ("leaps and bounds"), I am beginning to question Ryan Kesler's future in this city.

AV's comments last year, related to how Kesler's injuries were not a factor in his non-performance, clearly did not go over well with RK17. And then there were Kurt Overhardt's actions in the off-season, declaring in December that Kesler was "months and months" away from a return, which varied greatly from Gillis' prognosis and clearly was not well-received by either the organization or the city at-large.

This sort of "smoke" is often a signal that there's fire in the background. See all of the signals with Cody, for proof: working out on his own, wanting multiple physician opinions, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if a trade, along these lines, is in progress:

To NASHVILLE:

-Ryan Kesler

-Keith Ballard

-2013 1st

To VANCOUVER:

-Shea Weber

Kesler was obviously dominant against the Preds in 2011, and I do recall Ballard actually contributing in that series as well, with some good rushes and hipchecks. Both guys, IMO, would very much be "Nashville" types.

Thoughts?

After hearing AV's recent over-the-top assessment of Kesler's progress ("leaps and bounds"), I am beginning to question Ryan Kesler's future in this city.

AV's comments last year, related to how Kesler's injuries were not a factor in his non-performance, clearly did not go over well with RK17. And then there were Kurt Overhardt's actions in the off-season, declaring in December that Kesler was "months and months" away from a return, which varied greatly from Gillis' prognosis and clearly was not well-received by either the organization or the city at-large.

This sort of "smoke" is often a signal that there's fire in the background. See all of the signals with Cody, for proof: working out on his own, wanting multiple physician opinions, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if a trade, along these lines, is in progress:

To NASHVILLE:

-Ryan Kesler

-Keith Ballard

-2013 1st

To VANCOUVER:

-Shea Weber

Kesler was obviously dominant against the Preds in 2011, and I do recall Ballard actually contributing in that series as well, with some good rushes and hipchecks. Both guys, IMO, would very much be "Nashville" types.

Thoughts?

To NASHVILLE:

-Ryan Kesler

-Keith Ballard

-2013 1st

To VANCOUVER:

-Shea Weber

Thoughts?

Hmm.. Another "Doom and Gloom" thread from King..

Didn't see this coming.. <_<

So because AV said Kesler looks great, and Kesler said he's not ready yet you assume there's a rift? AV can only go based on what he sees from Kesler, and obviously he thinks Kesler is looking pretty good.

I’ve had a couple of good days of practice and I’m just going from there,” said Kesler. “There are areas out there where I don’t feel comfortable, so there’s no timeline at all. Until I feel that comfort level and feel I can step in and contribute the way I can, I’ll be playing then.

“The wrist gets achy once in a while, but nothing out of the ordinary. The shoulder is the biggest thing. I have to make sure it’s 100-per-cent and the range of motion is there, but strength isn’t there at all. Once we get home, I’m really going to hammer that and take it day by day.”

Last season, Kesler was cleared for light contact after summer surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip and returned to the lineup in just 14 days. He laboured through stiffness and soreness and struggled to score 22 goals.

“I made the mistake before and I won’t make it again,” he stressed.

Not even going to bother responding to the premise of the thread. As for the trade idea: a big fat NO! Is Weber worth that? Arguably, but the value doesn't matter because what hurts the Canucks after the trade is where it leaves them at the center position. They'd have an aging Hank centering the 1st line and then what? Two 4th line grinding centres in Malhotra and Lapierre and one rookie with 2 NHL points in Jordan Schroeder. That's what.

I'd bet money on the fact that if Vancouver and Nashville were to complete a Weber trade, the package going Nashville's way would likely be built around Alex Edler.

i think your looking for the

Proposals and Armchair GM'ing

you continue to pull crap out of the air and think you really know whats going on behind closes doors enough is enough get rid of this fool and never allow access to this site again although would probably just make another account to troll

No, I'm not.

And AV did not simply say that Kesler looked "good". He said that he's "improved by leaps and bounds". He's subtly suggesting, IMO, that Kesler should be ready to go very, very soon, probably sooner than maybe Kesler & Overhardt want.

As for the trade, Nashville can't realistically compete with two monster contracts (Weber & Rinne) and a bunch of complementary players. This is a trade that could work well for both teams. And, IMO, Schroeder has shown me in his time up that he has what it takes to be a 2C in the NHL, today (though I would still like to acquire a veteran C that could be played on the 3rd line, and possibly have the potential to fill in for Schroeder should he experience a slump - *AHEM* tyler bozak).

BTW - this is the exact reaction that most people had on this board about Cody. "Working out on his own? Who cares!?! There is no rift!"

Archived