The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manhunt underway for Ex-LAPD cop that went on shooting rampage

key2thecup

More details are emerging on the shooting of the two Hispanic women. Some how OOPS just does not cover it nor shrugging it off as case of mistaken identity by jittery cops.

Dorner is black, 6 feet tall and 270 pounds and was driving a gray Nissan Titan.

The two Hispanic women are not and were driving a blue Toyota Tacoma.

The officers' radio crackled with an urgent warning: He could be coming your way.

It was around 5 a.m. in Torrance on Thursday and police from nearby El Segundo had seen a pickup truck exit a freeway and head in the general direction of the Redbeam Avenue residence of a high-ranking Los Angeles police official, which was being guarded by a group of LAPD officers.

Police were on the lookout for Christopher Jordan Dorner, a disgruntled ex-cop suspected of hunting down members of the LAPD and their families in a twisted campaign of revenge. The radio call indicated that the truck matched the description of Dorner's gray Nissan Titan.

A few minutes later, a truck slowly rolled down the quiet residential street.

As the vehicle approached the house, officers opened fire, unloading a barrage of bullets into the back of the truck. When the shooting stopped, they quickly realized their mistake. The truck was not a Nissan Titan, but a Toyota Tacoma. The color wasn't gray, but aqua blue. And it wasn't Dorner inside the truck, but a woman and her mother delivering copies of the Los Angeles Times.

In an interview with The Times on Friday, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck outlined the most detailed account yet of how the shooting unfolded. Margie Carranza, 47, and her mother, Emma Hernandez, 71, were the victims of "a tragic misinterpretation" by officers working under "incredible tension," he said. Just hours before, Dorner allegedly shot three police officers, one fatally. And, in an online posting authorities attributed to him, Dorner threatened to kill more police and seemed to take responsibility for the slaying over the weekend of the daughter of a retired LAPD captain and her fiance.

Beck and others stressed that the investigation into the shooting is in its infancy. They declined to say how many officers were involved, what kind of weapons they used, how many bullets were fired and, perhaps most important, what kind of verbal warnings — if any — were given to the women before the shooting began.

FULL COVERAGE: Sweeping manhunt for ex-cop

Law enforcement sources told The Times that at least seven officers opened fire. On Friday, the street was pockmarked with bullet holes in cars, trees, garage doors and roofs. Residents said they wanted to know what happened.

"How do you mistake two Hispanic women, one who is 71, for a large black male?" said Richard Goo, 62, who counted five bullet holes in the entryway to his house.

Glen T. Jonas, the attorney representing the women, said the police officers gave "no commands, no instructions and no opportunity to surrender" before opening fire. He described a terrifying encounter in which the pair were in the early part of their delivery route through several South Bay communities. Hernandez was in the back seat handing papers to her daughter, who was driving. Carranza would briefly slow the truck to throw papers on driveways and front walks.

As bullets tore through the cabin, the two women "covered their faces and huddled down," Jonas said. "They felt like it was going on forever."

Hernandez was shot twice in her back and is expected to recover. Her daughter escaped with only minor wounds from broken glass.

Though Beck said he does not doubt the women did not hear any verbal commands, he emphasized that it was still possible the officers did attempt to stop the vehicle before opening fire. And, while not commenting specifically on this shooting, Beck said it was not difficult to imagine how officers who were already on edge could make the mistake these officers did.

"As an officer, you look for cues. You know how someone drives normally and then you see someone coming at you slowly, driving in the middle of the street, stopping and starting. That can be misinterpreted," he said.

Beck said he had not yet received a detailed briefing, which typically occurs a few days after officer-involved shootings to give investigators time to collect evidence and put together the basic summary of what happened. But he did say that the gunfire occurred in two bursts: The first came from an officer positioned down the block from the LAPD official's residence, and the second when Carranza accelerated away from the gunfire and toward other officers.

After the investigation is completed, Beck and an oversight board will decide if officers were justified in the shooting or made mistakes that warrant either punishment or training.

Jonas estimated that the officers fired between 20 and 30 rounds. Photographs of the back of the truck showed at least two dozen bullet holes. Neighbors, however, suggested there were more shots fired.

A day after the shooting, residents in the street surveyed the damage.

Kathy Merkosky, 53, was outside her stucco home pointing out the six bullet holes in the bumper and grill of her silver Acura MD-X. She knew her truck was damaged when she spotted it on television and "saw fluid flowing into the street."

Her Ford Focus was hit as well — a bullet shattered the windshield and another flattened a front tire.

"I've never heard gunfire on my street," Merkosky said. "Or ever in my life.... I hope they catch the guy so all this craziness will end."

Goo also was startled by the early-morning blasts.

"When I heard all the pop-pop-popping, I dropped to the ground, crawled around and pulled my wife out of the bed and I got on top of her," he said.

Goo said he could hear the bullets hitting the front door and feared they were coming through the house. He said he called 911 for the police, but was notified that they were already there.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-torrance-shooting-20130209,0,7478164,full.story

This guy does not strike me as your typical "mental defective" who would vote for the Tea Party types, but rather an intelligent man who has had enough and lost it .. is he is emblematic of the "new" domestic "terrorist"? .. he just may become a role model for left-wing nuts who want to play the right-wing nut "game" .. it is fascinating to watch ..

There have been at least as many left as right terrorists in the U.S., see any number of radical black groups like the Black Liberation Army, "progressive" radical groups like the Weathermen, the Puerto Rican FALN, any number of eco terrorist organizations, etc.

Closer to home we had groups like the FLQ and Squamish 5.

In fact for decades, terrorism on a worldwide level was associated with Communism like it's associated with radical Islam today.

Those are hate groups, of which few can be classified as actual terrorists and not all can be classified as right wing, unless you think the likes of the Aztlan crowd and the New Black Panther Party are right wing.

Anyways back to Dorner, does anyone else notice that his manifesto is frequently being added to or shown only in part depending on the presenter's political bias?

Those are hate groups, of which few can be classified as actual terrorists and not all can be classified as right wing, unless you think the likes of the Aztlan crowd and the New Black Panther Party are right wing.

Anyways back to Dorner, does anyone else notice that his manifesto is frequently being added to or shown only in part depending on the presenter's political bias?

Los Angeles to Reopen Its Inquiry of Officer

The Los Angeles Police Department will reopen its investigation into the 2007 episode that led to the firing of Christopher J. Dorner, the former police officer who is wanted in three killings, department officials said Saturday night.

Mr. Dorner pledged revenge against Los Angeles police officers in a manifesto he posted online, in which he also claimed that racism in the department had led to his dismissal. He is wanted in connection with the killing of a former police captain’s daughter and her fiancé last Sunday and the shooting death of a Riverside, Calif., police officer on Thursday morning.

“I am aware of the ghosts of the L.A.P.D.’s past, and one of my biggest concerns is that they will be resurrected by Dorner’s allegations of racism within the department,” Chief Charlie Beck said in a written statement.

“Therefore, I feel we need to also publicly address Dorner’s allegations regarding his termination,” he said. “I do this not to appease a murderer. I do it to reassure the public that their Police Department is transparent and fair in all the things we do.”

The killings and Mr. Dorner’s online manifesto have reopened old wounds for some black residents here, even as they condemned the violence. For decades, the Los Angeles Police Department was known nationwide for racism and corruption. And memories are still fresh of the riots in 1992 that followed the beating of a black man, Rodney King, by white police officers. The beating was caught on videotape and broadcast around the country.

In explaining why he chose to reopen Mr. Dorner’s case, Chief Beck acknowledged his department’s difficult history.

“The Los Angeles Police Department has made tremendous strides in gaining the trust and confidence of the people we serve,” he said in his statement, and he conceded that “Dorner’s actions may cause a pause in our increasingly positive relationship with the community.”

Mr. Dorner, who joined the Police Department in 2005, was fired in 2008 for giving false statements, after he accused his training officer of kicking a suspect. He sued the department for wrongful termination, and lost at trial and again on appeal.

The decision to review Mr. Dorner’s termination marks a reversal from the tone Chief Beck struck just two days ago, when he was asked about Mr. Dorner’s accusations of racism at a news conference.

“You’re talking about a homicide suspect who has committed atrocious crimes,” he said. “If you want to give any attribution to his ramblings on the Internet, go right ahead. But I do not.”

Asked about Mr. Dorner’s efforts to clear his name, Chief Beck said, point blank, “It’s not going to happen.”

Joe Domanick, at professor at the University of Southern California’s Annenberg Institute for Justice and Journalism, and author of “To Protect and To Serve,” a history of the Los Angeles Police Department, said that Chief’s Beck and his predecessor as police chief, William Bratton, had gone a long way toward repairing relations with the black and Latino communities in Los Angeles.

But, he added, “Old suspicions die hard.”

“The history of the L.A.P.D. with the African-American community has been so fraught with mistrust and abuse and hatred on both sides,” Mr. Domanick said. “Charlie Beck is a very savvy guy, who really understands community relations and community policing. Right now, it’s in his interest to quell these rumors.”

An episode on Thursday morning, in which two women delivering newspapers in Torrance, Calif., were shot by Los Angeles police officers who mistook their vehicle for Mr. Dorner’s pickup truck, made the need for Chief Beck to reach out to the community even greater, Mr. Domanick said.

One of the women, Emma Hernandez, 71, who was struck by two bullets in her back, was released from the hospital on Friday night, according to her lawyer. Her daughter, Margie Carranza, 47, suffered an wound to her hand. Chief Beck met with the two women on Saturday and told them that the department had arranged for the donation of a new truck for them, Cmdr. Andrew Smith said.

Their lawyer, Glen T. Jonas, said their pickup truck was hit with dozens of rounds, though he could not confirm exactly how many. Los Angeles police officers were investigating the shooting, officials said, and would not release details.

Police officials here on Saturday also announced the formation of a task force that will bring together officers from Los Angeles, Irvine, and Riverside as well as from the F.B.I., the United States Marshal Service and other agencies in the hunt for Mr. Dorner.

The search has already taken law enforcement officers from dozens of agencies, including from San Diego and Riverside and Nevada.

This is unreal.. This reminds me of something said in an interview on a show I watched the other day on guns down there, I think it was on CBC. He said its their right to carry guns and it is important to do so to protect themselves from the government...

Well I guess this is one mans way of exercising that right. He feels the government has wronged him and took away his job when he was originally doing the right thing. His corrupt department decided to abuse their power and hurt him so now it appears he is fighting back.

This is what I can't wrap my head around.. If the second amendment is a right that is designed to give citizens the power to fight the government should they ever decide to abuse their power over the people, isn't this in way working out exactly as planned?? This man legally purchased insane fire power and decided to use it to wage a one man army war once the government corruptly screwed him over and took away his freedom of having an honest job he had earned.

It's almost like he's saying I don't agree with my second amendment right and you should really look at altering it because this is what happens when someone wants to follow through.

This whole thing is a tragedy brought on by a country hanging on to a failing constitutional right and claiming guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well I agree if you meet the requirements and jump through the necessary hoops like we have then you should be able to own a reasonable gun. I don't feel you should be able to go to Walmart and outfit yourself as an effective killing machine. Today half of the worlds guns are in the United States, is that not alarming? I really hope they can turn things around down there because this will only get worse as more and more people get inspired from these brutal tragedies and grow the balls to commit their own.

I'm from Prince George and we have been named most dangerous city in Canada 3 years in a row. I have never once felt the slightest need to own a gun or carry a knife or anything like that. Unless your deep in the organized crime game, you just don't need one... I guess the problem down there is there's so damn many guns already in the country, your average joe almost does need one for protection.

Archived