The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manhunt underway for Ex-LAPD cop that went on shooting rampage

key2thecup

Redemptive Violence and the Los Angeles Manhunt

Renegade former Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officer Christopher Dorner believes himself wronged by his superiors. In his manifesto, he repeatedly emphasizes that he embodies the honor and discipline of the paramilitary institutions he served and "died long ago" as a result of the betrayals he allegedly suffered. His solution: kill as many police officers and their relatives as possible. He threatens to eliminate police officers and everyone they hold dear, boasting of his military aptitude: "[t]he Violence (sic) of action will be HIGH. I am the reason TAC alert was established. I will bring unconventional and asymmetrical warfare to those in LAPD uniform whether on or off duty.” Dorner claims he will only stop killing when the police returns to him the validation he once possessed as an police officer.

Dorner is currently the subject of a massive manhunt conducted by California law enforcement with assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The UAV-phobic corners of the Internet buzz with thinly sourced rumors that the 21st century's most fearsome and dangerous weapon, the (unarmed surveillance) drone, may be unleashed. Potential sightings of the fugitive prompt evacuations. Dorner still remains at large, wanted for the ambush murder of a police officer, a basketball teacher, and her fiance. The slain teacher's former police officer father claims Dorner personally called to inform him that "he should have done a better job protecting his daughter." If true, this would resonate with Dorner's chilling threat to wipe out his enemies' families:

Suppressing the truth will leave to deadly consequences for you and your family. There will be an element of surprise where you work, live, eat, and sleep. I will utilize ISR at your home, workplace, and all locations in between. I will utilize OSINT to discover your residences, spouses workplaces, and children’s schools. IMINT to coordinate and plan attacks on your fixed locations. Its amazing whats on NIPR. HUMINT will be utilized to collect personal schedules of targets. I never had the opportunity to have a family of my own, I’m terminating yours. Quan, Anderson, Evans, and BOR members Look your wives/husbands and surviving children directly in the face and tell them the truth as to why your children are dead.

If Dorner's actions were not so horribly real, they would be the stuff of bad direct-to-video action cinema. The honorable soldier/law enforcement officer pushed by corruption, turpitude, and injustice to wage a one-man war against authority? Check. Ditto to the cliche of the "rogue" operative that turns his deadly skills against the government. Hyperbolic promises of an orgy of bloodletting that spares neither "combatant" nor family member? Been there, done that. The spectacle of hundreds of men, machines, and animals on the trail of one man using his survival skills to elude them is also perennial. We could name dozens of films that fit this archetype, but the most recent that comes to mind is Antoine Fuqua's Shooter. In Shooter, Mark Wahlberg is framed for a crime he didn't commit and uses his Marine Corps training to rack up a body count that includes both humble henchman and high-ranking politician.

When watching Shooter, the viewer does not think of the real-life parallel: the DC snipers. Of course, all of the people Wahlberg guns down are part of The Conspiracy. No basketball teachers and their loved ones, just the private military operators that Hollywood loathes enough to use as a stand-in for the Communist Chinese in the 2004 remakeof The Manchurian Candidate. The setup is identical in both films---the honorable fighting man wronged by a cabal buried deep within the bowels of respectable society. In Shooter, Mark Wahlberg has no choice but to fight The Conspiracy with the very weapons he once wielded in the service of the state. Of course, Hollywood rarely shows the deliberate killing of noncombatants or even sympathetic combatants by the lone hero.

The only exception to this general rule is The Matrix, in which men and women in black leather gun down waves of hapless security guards unaware of their manipulation by the machines. Yet perhaps The Matrix (a work of science fiction!) is a more realistic portrayal of the indiscriminate nature of redemptive violence (and its intellectual justification) than Shooter. Dorner undoubtedly believes that everyone he kills is part of the general web of injustice. There is no typological difference between fellow law enforcement officer, political authority figure, or family relative in his mind. All can be targeted with a grim sense of calculation and premeditation. All must and will pay for the sins of the system.

The idea of redemptive, even purifying violence has a long pedigree in Western life. At the end of his long journey, Homer's Ulysses returns to find his home defiled and reacts by concocting a situation in which he can slaughter those responsible. Shakespeare's Titus first kills his own sexually assaulted daughter and then tricks his nemesis Tamora into literally consuming her own children. And as Samuel Goldman notes, the major revolutionary terrorists and insurgents of the Cold War all stressed the purifying nature of violence as a means to self-actualization. The vulgar American derivation of this already ignoble narrative tradition can be found in the explosion of revenge-driven antiheroes, particularly those that seek to punish a system that they hold collectively responsible for their individual plight. There are both pro and anti-authority versions of this parable--Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry as the penultimate example of conservative reaction expressed through purifying violence and Alan Moore's V for Vendetta as a more explicitly anarchistic perspective. These tales all command wide audiences and fanbases.

This should not be construed as a claim that there is a causal relationship between cultural tropes and Dorner's violence. Rather, we can deploy those tropes as a vehicle for understanding the violent aesthetics inherent in Dorner's perception of himself and how they really are not of his own making. Dorner is an actor on an already well-trodden stage, acting out a script he likely believes that he alone has authored. He may be violent and dangerous, but he is also little more than a copy of a copy. He plays to the well-established tropes ofsocial banditry that his supporters also unconsciously draw from while cheering his massacres. The repetoire is tired and well-worn, however genuine or unique he may believe himself to be.

Dorner sees himself as a man who played by the rules and was nonetheless driven to violence, instead of an indiscriminate murderer whose writings drip with bigotry and violent contempt towards his fellow officers and their families. Assuming Dorner did call Randy Quan to insult him over Quan's supposed failure to prevent his daughter's murder, it would complete the cognitive dissonance between the social bandit/conspiracy anti-hero Dorner (and his local followers) believes himself to be and the real man who would deliberately kill an unarmed schoolteacher in order to hurt her father.

Whether or not Dorner dies in a hail of bullets or escapes the California law enforcement community and the Joint Terrorism Task Force, he may very well live on in some quarters of society with the same mixture of reverence and fascination that fellow murderer Jesse James continues to evoke. The only question is how many more people Dorner will kill in his murderous quest for self-realization before he exits the stage.

I don't have links for all of this but I've been following this case closer than anything in recent memory. I don't really feel pro or con on this whole scenario but I think that's why I'm so fascinated by it, it's really such a grey messy area to me.

Anyways, latest updates I've been reading tonight is that they believe he may have entered Mexico with the help of one of the friends he named in the 'manifesto' - apparently the reason they found his discarded pickup truck is because they were headed to the friends cabin in Arrow Bear, CA.

Friend's initials identified as J.Y. so possibly - Jason Young, great friend, entrepeneur, husband and father. You showed me the importance of fatherhood and friendship. Love you bro.

Police have also confirmed a leaked surveillance video that showed him buying scuba gear 2 days before all this started - http://www.tmz.com/2...rrance-murders/

and the drone rumour has been confirmed - http://www.express.c...illed-policeman

I don't have links for all of this but I've been following this case closer than anything in recent memory. I don't really feel pro or con on this whole scenario but I think that's why I'm so fascinated by it, it's really such a grey messy area to me.

If I lived in the U.S. again, I would carry a gun as much to protect myself from the police as thugs.

Back in the day it was much worse as far as police abuse sand lack of accountability, that's what the '92 L.A. riots were about; not so much Rodney King the idiot but the last straw in several decade's worth of abuses including murder, maiming and framing people.

I'm just wonder what the hell Dorner expected though?

I mean its a given that you're going to encounter corruption, brutality and (especially as a black officer) racism in the LAPD and LASD, and that you're going to have a hard time of it unless you participate.

As a matter of fact I wonder why he'd even want to remain in SoCal to begin with? Blacks are rapidly diminishing in numbers and political power by the day there.

And he is reportedly pinned down after shooting two sheriff's deputies.

Two sheriff's deputies have been wounded in a shootout with a suspect believed to be renegade ex-Los Angeles police officer Christopher Jordan Dorner, a high-ranking law official with knowledge of the investigation said Tuesday.

The source says the suspect, believed to be Dorner, shot the deputies as police responded to a report of a home invasion and a carjacking in the Big Bear area of southern California.

After police got a description of the vehicle, police set up a road block, and Dorner approached the officers, the source says. Dorner then opened fire, wounding the two sheriff's deputies, according to the source.

The official said Dorner was "pinned down."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/12/police-checking-reports-that-ex-lapd-officer-dorner-sighted/?hpt=hp_t1

Authorities say ex-cop barricaded in California cabin

A fugitive ex-Los Angeles cop sought in three killings was barricaded in a cabin in the in the San Bernardino Mountains on Tuesday after a shootout with authorities that wounded two officers.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department says two law enforcement officers are being airlifted to a local hospital with unknown injuries.

Deputies in the Big Bear area looking for Christopher Dorner responded to a report of a stolen vehicle in the area about 12:20 p.m., the sheriff's office said.

The people whose vehicle was stolen described the suspect as looking very similar to Dorner.

The vehicle found and the suspect, believed to be Dorner, ran into the forest and barricaded himself inside a cabin. A short time later there was an exchange of gunfire between law enforcement and the suspect.

It's not clear which agency the two agents wounded belong to, State Fish and Wildlife Assistant Chief Dan Sforza told KCAL.

It's also believed Dorner committed a residential burglary of a cabin where a couple was tied up, an officer told The Associated Press.

The officer requested anonymity because the officer was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

One of the people was able to get away and make a call.

The area is in the Big Bear region where a search for Dorner has been under way since his pickup truck was found there Thursday.

A KCAL-TV reporter in the Angelus Oaks area along Highway 38 reported gunfire in his vicinity.

The noise of the gunbattle was broadcast by the station, whose reporter suddenly found himself near the fight. Someone could be heard yelling at the reporter to get out of the area.

Road blocks were up around Big Bear.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_LAPD_REVENGE_KILLINGS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-02-12-17-05-09

Law enforcement sources say one of the deputies involved in a gun battle Tuesday afternoon with fugitive former police officer Christopher Dorner has died of his wounds.

http://www.kimt.com/news/national/story/Sources-Deputy-killed-in-shootout-with-Dorner/d5GqG8rtf0ShtMxks6UGcQ.cspx

Oh yeah and apparently the LAPD has asked people to quit tweeting about Dorner. :picard:

Archived