Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Stop Taking Burrows Off 1st Line For Gosh Sakes!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Kassian and the Sedins on paper look like a match made in heaven. Even with Kassian's impressive 5 goals he just isn't a fit with the Sedins. It can be argued that all of Kassian's goals were "garbage" tip ins. Notice how the Sedins struggled mightily in absence of Burrows. They couldn't even pass to each other without fumbling the puck. So un-Sedin like!

Now that AV put Burrows back on the 1st line the Sedins look like themselves. Burrows forecheck and ability to dig the puck out from the boards to keep offensive pressure is on another level. This guy just works harder, skates harder, wants it harder than 99% of NHL players aka Work Ethic.

This Kassian experiment is all but dead. Good on him for contributing but he's a 4th line player right now with ability to move up a line depending on his play. STOP TAKING BURROWS OFF 1ST LINE. WHY FIX SOMETHING THATS NOT BROKE???

#2 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

I agree, except for "he's a 4th line player" he's leading our team in goals... and he's been our best players besides Luongo every game except the last couple...

He's a top 6 player.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#3 VanCityNuck

VanCityNuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

We're 5-1-1 in last 7 games. I think we are doing okay. Plus if Kass can contribute on the first line it makes all 3 other lines better

#4 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Sedins have looked just as good with Kassian as they have with Burrows.

Unfortunately though, in neither case have they been consistent.
Posted Image

#5 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

What if Burrows is the right spark for another line?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#6 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

POPULAR

What if Burrows is the right spark for another line?

I'd like to use a Burrows - Kesler - Hansen shutdown line. Those 3 would give top lines fits.

That would leave Booth and Raymond on Schroeder's wings, to provide a bit more offense.
Posted Image

#7 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

well burrows might be spending a lot more time not on any line if the rumors out of minnesota are true.

Tiny Joe Nelson@JoeNelsonKFAN
Alex Burrows took a puck to his right hand and left the ice. Was in obvious pain. He could hardly pick up his stick. #mnwild #Canucks

#8 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'd like to use a Burrows - Kesler - Hansen shutdown line. Those 3 would give top lines fits.

That would leave Booth and Raymond on Schroeder's wings, to provide a bit more offense.

Interesting idea. More like a 2a and 2b that way.

#9 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

well burrows might be spending a lot more time not on any line if the rumors out of minnesota are true.

Alex Burrows took a puck to his right hand and left the ice. Was in obvious pain. He could hardly pick up his stick. #mnwild #Canucks

:shock:

:sadno:

#10 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Really hope they're not, Rome was out around a month last season with a broken hand if I remember correctly.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#11 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Notice how when Kass is on line 1 the amount of liberties other teams take with the twins shrinks considerably?

I like Burrows, but would prefer him play with Kesler when he returns and give the twins and the tank a chance to gel.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#12 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

I beg to differ, when you say that all of Kassians goals are garbage tip-ins.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#13 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I agree, i would like to see Burrows back on the Sedin line. When Burrows was put back on that
line, they just seemed to click. Daniel and Henrik played the way they usually do.

I actually would like to see a line of Raymond - JS - Kassian. I think that line has some potential
together. Didn't they play together in some scrimage before the season began?

#14 roland

roland

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I think it depends what team we play against. If were against a team like Edmonton that is young and skilled, Burrows is a better fit right now, but if were against a team that knows how to shut the Sedins down, Kassian is a better fit.

Edited by roland, 07 February 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#15 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I disagree completely that Kassian is just a 4th line player. Just because most of his goals have come from in front of the net doesn't mean he's just getting lucky. It shows that he has good offensive instincts, that he knows where to go to score goals, and that he is good at getting open and outmuscling defenders. Plus he has done a great job of battling in the corners, seems to have pretty good vision, and has good hands to convert on his scoring chances.

#16 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think the reason why we have Kassian on the top line is so that he can get establish chemistry with the Sedins heading into the playoffs. Burrows with the Sedins is a better combination in the regular season because they can produce more offense against the weaker teams like Calgary, Edmonton, etc. but that line has been ineffective in the playoffs. The elite defensive teams in the league can shut down the Sedins and Burrows no problem because Burrows simply doesn't have the forechecking ability or the size to win battles in playoff games that are much tighter defensively. Kassian on the other hand has better size so he can shield the puck down low and he can stay parked in front of the net. Plus he can hit and defend the Sedins if anything happens after the whistle. Let Burrows play a shutdown role on the 3rd or something.

#17 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

i think burr most successful on first line, but hey, i think anyone would be most successful with the twins. But if Kass can fit with the sedins, when Kesler is back if he and Burrows can work together like old that would be great.
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#18 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

yeah hes a 4th line player who is leading our team in goals....

i agree that burrows should be on the first , which he is , so stop whining

but kassian isnt some 4th line scrub , he can get points , most of his points are from his own hard work , he doesnt need the sedins for the type of goals hes going to score

Edited by cIutch, 07 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Brodeur

Brodeur

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

We have a player on our team named Gosh Sakes?

#20 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'd hate to think that world-class players like the Sedins are only able to be successful with a certain player on the other wing.

Maybe there is better chemistry with Burr on the right side, but the team has been pretty successful, despite the twins' diminished numbers. I think it shows that the team has the luxury of allowing them to develop chemistry with other wingers.

Meanwhile, the second and third lines get a boost from having a quality player drop to them...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#21 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,249 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Burrows will play with the Sedins tonight.

307mg00.jpg

#22 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Kassian and the Sedins on paper look like a match made in heaven. Even with Kassian's impressive 5 goals he just isn't a fit with the Sedins. It can be argued that all of Kassian's goals were "garbage" tip ins. Notice how the Sedins struggled mightily in absence of Burrows. They couldn't even pass to each other without fumbling the puck. So un-Sedin like!

Now that AV put Burrows back on the 1st line the Sedins look like themselves. Burrows forecheck and ability to dig the puck out from the boards to keep offensive pressure is on another level. This guy just works harder, skates harder, wants it harder than 99% of NHL players aka Work Ethic.

This Kassian experiment is all but dead. Good on him for contributing but he's a 4th line player right now with ability to move up a line depending on his play. STOP TAKING BURROWS OFF 1ST LINE. WHY FIX SOMETHING THATS NOT BROKE???

Are you suggesting that the Sedins' mediocre play is due to having to carry Kassian on their line?

Lets see...there are probably a few other prevailing factors, one being the Sedins taking 5-6 games to find their game legs/feet/hands as individuals and as a tandem. I would argue that the Sedins have looked passable because Kassian has been on their line. So the notion of the Sedins looking like the Sedins because they are back with Burr is absurd. It has more to do with the Sedins getting into game shape than having Kass over Burr as their right winger.

There's no denying Burr's work ethic...unless you were watching entirely different games than me, he was near invisible in the first few games while he too was trying to find his game legs. Burr with the Sedins is a very good fit...Burr does the hard forechecking, and has the hands/skills to complement and contribute to the cycle game down low. But this too becomes stale dated at times and the one thing that we saw in the first 9 games of this season is that Kass can add a dimension to the Sedins' game (i.e., creating space by parking himself in front of the opposition goalie allowing the Sedins more space from the hash marks in) that Burr cannot. Think: Burr and Samuelsson moving between the Sedins and Kes' line when production dropped off for the Sedins.

So Bill Nye, Science Guy, your conclusion that having Kass play with the Sedins being a failed experiment is so far off the mark, you may as well be in the 250 area code...make that the 403 area code.

And Kass being a 4th liner? Okay...we'll take that under advisement.

Edited by disisdayear, 07 February 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#23 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Sedins have looked just as good with Kassian as they have with Burrows.

Unfortunately though, in neither case have they been consistent.

Burrows with Sedins have been the only consistent and proven line for us in these past three to four years since he first played on that line. Kassian's problem has been his consistency and he needs to work on that.

Posted Image

#24 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I think using Burrows and Kesler as a shutdown line will decrease our offensive output since both those guys are capable of scoring 25-30 goals each. We have Higgins, Malhotra and Lappy who could shutdown lines along with Hansen. I'd say having them separate on each line will make our team harder to play against on a whole rather than putting all our eggs in one basket. Schroeder and Raymond should have Hansen on their line to bail them out defensively. While Sedins need Burrows for his hard forecheck and defensive skills. Booth, Kesler and Kassian might actually be a nice line if it develops while it keeps Kassian on the top 6.

Posted Image

#25 CanucksFanInT.O.

CanucksFanInT.O.

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

This

#26 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Burrows with Sedins have been the only consistent and proven line for us in these past three to four years since he first played on that line. Kassian's problem has been his consistency and he needs to work on that.

Except where is that consistent production in the playoffs? Sedins with Burrows is a broken record. Kassian offers a different element on the top line that could work out for us.

#27 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Like it as well, but if kass isn't cutting it with the twins he could play with Ryan. He may work better with that line anyway because he can't work the boards but can get to the net and Ryan's line would be a more off the rush line.

#28 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Just throwin' it out there...

Twins - Kes
Booth - Burr - Kass
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgy - Manny - Lappy

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#29 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Except where is that consistent production in the playoffs? Sedins with Burrows is a broken record. Kassian offers a different element on the top line that could work out for us.

But he can't work the boards, the twins will be beat up by playoff time if they have to do all the hard work for kass the rookie that just wants to sit by the net waiting for a pass.

#30 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Its paying off lately...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.