The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop Taking Burrows Off 1st Line For Gosh Sakes!

Pasific Coluseum

Kassian and the Sedins on paper look like a match made in heaven. Even with Kassian's impressive 5 goals he just isn't a fit with the Sedins. It can be argued that all of Kassian's goals were "garbage" tip ins. Notice how the Sedins struggled mightily in absence of Burrows. They couldn't even pass to each other without fumbling the puck. So un-Sedin like!

Now that AV put Burrows back on the 1st line the Sedins look like themselves. Burrows forecheck and ability to dig the puck out from the boards to keep offensive pressure is on another level. This guy just works harder, skates harder, wants it harder than 99% of NHL players aka Work Ethic.

This Kassian experiment is all but dead. Good on him for contributing but he's a 4th line player right now with ability to move up a line depending on his play. STOP TAKING BURROWS OFF 1ST LINE. WHY FIX SOMETHING THATS NOT BROKE???

I like Kassian with the Sedins more this season. The twins are playing 500x tougher and Kassian is making space, scoring and making sure no one messes with them. I love Burr and he's clutch as hell but he's just been outplayed a bit by Kassian. When he got out back with the Sedins he shot a puck right into Hanks chest and missed a tip in that Kassian would have had as a righty. Not hating but Im of the opinion that Kass should be with the twins and Burr with Schroeder and Raymond.

This "Kassian on the 1st line" thing is almost as annoying as the alleged goalie controversy. He'll get moved around like everyone else throughout the season, depending on how everyone plays. Burrows is obviously a far better fit with the twins, but there's no reason to not give Kass some games/shifts to try and develop something with them.

That said, he has not benefited them in any of the ways people on this board keep saying. He is not creating space, not cycling well, not forechecking consistantly, and teams are certainly not intimidated enough by him to somehow stop playing physical against the Sedins. He has found success potting goals in tight and shown potential as a playmaker and physical presence. Overhyping his play will only lead to frustration and eventual backlash by some fans.

I look forward to seeing him play with Kesler and Booth (or whoever). I honestly think Kassian's skillset will benefit Kes more than the Sedins, and that would be one hell of a tough, skilled 2nd unit.

(edit) Not to mention the fact that teams were able to focus heavily on the Sedin line during playoffs because the Canucks have really had no secondary threat worth the trouble since Kesler v Nashville.

Options, people; be glad we have some.

I agree, i would like to see Burrows back on the Sedin line. When Burrows was put back on that

line, they just seemed to click. Daniel and Henrik played the way they usually do.

I actually would like to see a line of Raymond - JS - Kassian. I think that line has some potential

together. Didn't they play together in some scrimage before the season began?

When healthy, I really think this line-up would be most effective:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - BIG C through trade - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Lapierre

I just don't see a spot for Raymond, and really had to debate on keeping Manny in.

Archived