The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Tim Thomas an Islander

They wanted to shut down the back diving contracts after Luongo's deal was signed. However they couldn't do that without invalidating the contracts for Zetterberg, Franzen and Hossa since they were all too similar. If they had done that, it would have also invalidated the games Detroit and Chicago played that past season, and would have denied Chicago the Stanley Cup they just won. Only once the Kovy deal took it a small step further could they draw the line in the sand. For the rest, they had to complain in the CBA negotiations to show just how against them they really were from the start.

Thomas said he plans on playing again. He seems to be the kind of guy who will stick by his word.

His goaltending numbers have been outstanding - especially in the playoffs. I'm just glad he's stuck on the Islanders, rather than a team that is ready do some damage.

I agree w/ you for the most part but Kovalchuk's deal wasn't the tipping point (although they did try to void that contract), imo. Weber, Suter & Parise were the tipping points.

Suddenly these decade long deals were the expected for every tier 1 UFA group. Kovalchuk (youngest UFA 50g guy ever), Suter & Weber, okay maybe, but a 60pt Zach Parise (albeit a stellar two-way player)?! Next year it would've been Getzlaf & Perry on, what, matching 15-year/$125m deals? Stephen Weiss on a 8-year/$52m deal?

This past summer has got to be the NHL's "WTF?!" moment for sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But if the Islanders needed to reach the floor, why not trade a 7th round pick to Montreal when Gomez was signed and pick up his $7 million cap hit? At least they'd get a forward who's already put up 2 points, instead of a goalie who may never show. Wouldn't that make more sense?

Then again it is Garth Snow we're talking about....

Correct me if I'm wrong. But if the Islanders needed to reach the floor, why not trade a 7th round pick to Montreal when Gomez was signed and pick up his $7 million cap hit? At least they'd get a forward who's already put up 2 points, instead of a goalie who may never show. Wouldn't that make more sense?

No. And whats with the Garth Snow hate? He's a smart guy.

Scott Gomez would have cost them north of 7million in salary if they traded for him. (between this season & the next) You really think thats a good idea? They could have just signed a better free agent with that money.

Sorry but I don't think Rask is up to playoff-hockey. He's seen no action there, isn't exactly a big-game performer with a star-studded resume and doesn't have much experience to fall back on.

I'll expect him to get shredded later in the season and in the playoffs. This kid still hasn't really handled much mental or physical fatigue - he's never played more than 50 games. Now he'll have to play around 60 or 70 if Boston want to win a cup. Fatigue will get the best of him, and they have no one to fall back on. This Boston defence has holes that several teams have exploited over the last 2 seasons, even during their cup run.

Sorry but I don't think Rask is up to playoff-hockey. He's seen no action there, isn't exactly a big-game performer with a star-studded resume and doesn't have much experience to fall back on.

I'll expect him to get shredded later in the season and in the playoffs. This kid still hasn't really handled much mental or physical fatigue - he's never played more than 50 games. Now he'll have to play around 60 or 70 if Boston want to win a cup. Fatigue will get the best of him, and they have no one to fall back on. This Boston defence has holes that several teams have exploited over the last 2 seasons, even during their cup run.

Exactly. If anyone thinks that it's a coincidence that Boston is taking advantage of this loophole, think again. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't arranged way back at the BOG meeting.

And now I bet they'll close the loophole next season before any other team can take advantage of it.

Archived