149 replies to this topic

#61 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hmmm, isn't this covered in the new CBA though? He didn't retire, but the fact that he is healthy and not playing.. wasn't the new CBA worded so the cap hit returns to the original team that signed the player? I wonder if that wording includes players that don't report to camp.

#62 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,929 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

I can't see the Isles getting away with this for more than a season. I imagine the NHLPA would file a grievance.

I don't think they plan to.

They're probably hoping that Thomas will just retire, rather than play for the Isles. Then they only have to carry a small portion of his cap hit for next season, but wouldn't have to pay any of his salary.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#63 Pavel Burrows

Pavel Burrows

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

If they wanted to reach the capfloor, why didn't they just sign a free agent for 5 million and use him instead of giving up a 2nd for a guy who won't play.#Stupid
Posted Image

Credit to VC!

#64 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,929 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

If they wanted to reach the capfloor, why didn't they just sign a free agent for 5 million and use him instead of giving up a 2nd for a guy who won't play.#Stupid

They don't have 5 million, otherwise they would have done that already.

It's really not that stupid. The price they paid might have been, but the idea is there.

Just not sure how it's going to work going forward. But if they didn't get over the cap floor by tomorrow, there would have been harsh penalties, probably even loss of a first round pick and huge fines. Boston likely knew this and took advantage of their situation.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 February 2013 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image

#65 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Because they get to the cap floor without having to spend any actual cash.
Posted Image

#66 Lers780

Lers780

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

You people should really read into things before jumping to conclusions...They arent giving up a 2nd round pick unless Tim Thomas reports, which he wont.They dont have to pay his salary because he didnt report, but it still counts towards the cap. So for free they get a cap floor 5 million dollars lower, essentially.

#67 Pride

Pride

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

the stupid one is you for not understanding anything about how trades work.

#68 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

They give up nothing if he doesn't play. If he reports to the team and plays, they give up a second. He won't report, so they get Thomas cap hit for nothing and don't have to shell out real dollars to pay him.

Hahaha, leave it to Charles Wang to find the first CBA loophole. I wouldn't be surprised to see this loop closed very soon. I don't think they are even done the official writing of the new CBA yet.

#69 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I think that is the condition with the pick. If he doesn't report then its probably a late rounder.

Sorry, when I was wondering out loud about what would happen if Thomas reported, I wasn't thinking about the conditional pick aspect there. I was more thinking about how it could mess up Snow's plan. I should have included that part.

They would have Nabokov, DiPietro & Thomas. Do they then send Thomas to the minors?
Posted Image

#70 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,929 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hahaha, leave it to Charles Wang to find the first CBA loophole. I wouldn't be surprised to see this loop closed very soon. I don't think they are even done the official writing of the new CBA yet.

I'm sure the NHL left these loopholes open on purpose so that certain teams could take advantage of them.

And they close any loophoes and apply penalties to teams like Vancouver. What a surprise.

Posted Image

#71 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

3 out of 6 posters on this page can't read. The 2nd rounder is CONDITIONAL. As stated in the OP and many times since.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Obviously, we overreacted and didn't read within the context before posting. Thanks for assuming that we're dumbasses

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#72 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

weird.

Edit watched tsn, makes perfect sense.

Bruins taking a run at Weiss with the added cap space?

Edited by iluvbc, 07 February 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#73 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#74 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm sure the NHL left these loopholes open on purpose so that certain teams could take advantage of them.

And they close any loophoes and apply penalties to teams like Vancouver. What a surprise.

Well, this basically voids the Luongo cap benefit recapture rule. The player just has to decide not to report to camp instead of retire. Apparently the NHL has put its blessing on this as well :sick:

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

NHL's view on Thomas trade, from Bill Daly: ``As long as a Player has an active contract that he has the right to return to ...'' con't

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

``... absent unusual circumstances, our view is that he remains a "hockey asset" that a Club has a right to trade or acquire.'' end quote

#75 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Posted Image

LOL

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#76 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,929 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Well, this basically voids the Luongo cap benefit recapture rule. The player just has to decide not to report to camp instead of retire. Apparently the NHL has put its blessing on this as well :sick:

So a team can suspend Luongo at the end of his career, and then trade him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor?

The NHL is going to need to clear this up. How long can a player be suspended for and still be considered an active contract?

I didn't even think you could trade suspended players, just like you can't trade injured players.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 February 2013 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

#77 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

of course the NHL allow this to happen.......the Boston owner is the chairman of the BOG and can order Bettman and Daily to what he wants.........there is a loophole but NHL won't do anything about it

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#78 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,379 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Cap Compliance reasons only.

They will toll his contract and hope he returns next season.

Subbancopy.jpg

#79 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,929 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

of course the NHL allow this to happen.......the Boston owner is the chairman of the BOG and can order Bettman and Daily to what he wants.........there is a loophole but NHL won't do anything about it

Exactly. If anyone thinks that it's a coincidence that Boston is taking advantage of this loophole, think again. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't arranged way back at the BOG meeting.

And now I bet they'll close the loophole next season before any other team can take advantage of it.

Posted Image

#80 JoeyFromBeantown

JoeyFromBeantown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Or goes on to win the Vezina and Conn Smythe...

Boston will be back in the finals again this year. I'm calling it now.

No.

#81 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,929 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

No.

No what?

Posted Image

#82 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image

ESPN :picard:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#83 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,198 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

This is good for both sides.

zackass.png

#84 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

BOS
Schneider

VAN
Lucic

#85 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,929 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

ESPN :picard:

I'm sure Thomas is in his bunker somewhere laughing away that he was mistaken for a black guy. /sarcasm

Posted Image

#86 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,198 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

BOS
Schneider

VAN
Lucic

:picard:

Posted Image

zackass.png

#87 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

:picard:

Posted Image

Hey, uh, stupid, we don't need to take into consideration what the other team wants or already has. k thanx bai.
Posted Image

#88 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

So a team can suspend Luongo at the end of his career, and then trade him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor?

The NHL is going to need to clear this up. How long can a player be suspended for and still be considered an active contract?

I didn't even think you could trade suspended players, just like you can't trade injured players.

Yeah, that is what I was wondering (because I do not know); I thought you could not trade a suspended player.

Other crazy thoughts on this deal:

1. NYI wanted publicity for their new arena/location - Thomas is a media bomb. Scene: New York Times Square: Irreverand Timmy Thomas and his Slap Bang Theology perform your favourites like, "I Left My Smarts in My Afterbirth", and "I Don't Know What I've Got Nor That It Is Gone".
I still cannot forgive the media for spreading the myth that Thomas outwitted Luongo in the misquoted banter during the SCF.
He is an idiot roughly equal to Marchand, e.g. Marchand: "We may be stupid, but we were smart enough to win a Stanley Cup" [Just not smart enough to spell "Champions" correctly on your tatoo though eh wingnut?)

2. Could Boston have been the mystery team Gillis was talking about having a deal in place with, and Thomas the mystery player they had to do something with first?
2a. Really? Luongo to Boston for ??!!?? Uhmmmm, need time to hash this, Horton, Seguin, and a first Boston gets from TO for taking Phagoof off their hands?

3. Anyone notice the absence of a usually loquascious, usually wrong, unbearably irritating Magistrate of the Extraterratorial Surroundings in this and in fact all threads since he opened a preposterous topic this morning? Revenge is a dish best eaten cold. Edit: Aargh! And a dish choked up when I saw his name posting 12 minutes ago in another topic. Why, oh Great Moderators, why?

4. This slimy move by the NYI must have the lawyers scrambling to evaluate the effects throughout the league.

5. This means Luongo is worth even more in a trade now, right?

6. NYI are without a doubt, the craziest franchise in the league now with Timmy.

Edited by Goal:thecup, 07 February 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#89 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Go get eliminated

its a forum rule.
go get some reading comprehension

Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#90 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

This move could be for political reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.