The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Progress and Scapegoats

Mad Cow Disease

This appears to be a great moment to be a Canuck fan, everyone on the team seems to gel, we have a little winning streak going at the moment, all lines are contributing, and let's take a look at our usual suspects as for who to blame.

Edler's carelessness: 3G, 5A

Kassian's lack of grit: 5G, 1A

Tanev is as solid as ever, blocking shots, taking away the puck, a slick passer and finally got his first goal, a clutch OT winner

Raymond has 4 goals in 10 games (~30 goal pace in an 82 game season)

Schroeder (he's a softie and isn't good because look at his AHL stats!) is an absolute workhorse, a slick passer, plays two ways, forechecks well and has ridiculous speed and knows how to use it. Won't be long until the goals start to pile up!

Take a look at how far some of these players have come. Raymond had his back royally messed up and looks like he'll be back in fine goal-scoring form. Schroeder spent a few years in the AHL to develop and it has paid off. Kassian trained in the off-season with the Sedins; his positioning is excellent and he has a spring in his step.

Then the "controversy"...

Luongo: 3-0-2, 1.53 GAA, .940 SV%, 1 SO

Schneider: 3-2-0, a couple of bad games but has been excellent in the wins, with 1 SO

This is fantastic "controversy." I really don't need to elaborate, everyone knows Luongo is on fire and Schneider put on a great show tonight.

My point is, all of the complainers and naysayers need to step back, shut their cynical traps for a minute and just enjoy the hockey the Canucks are playing at the moment.

6-2-2! Four wins in a row!

I feel like we actually have just about the best situation in goal you could wish for. Yes one of them is going to have to be moved but while they're both here they will handle everything in a completely professional manner and we have two goalies who can step in any night against any team and hold the opposition to 2 or fewer goals...And when one is moved it'll fetch a solid return that will make the team in front of whoever remains much better. For now I'm just enjoying watching the best goalie tandem we've ever had and possibly ever will have.

+1 for the positivity. I'm loving the secondary scoring right now and the goaltending (goes without mentioning). They're the ones carrying this team right now. I'm just waiting on the Sedins to return to getting some more wicked 1 minute shifts in the offensive zone like they've done so many times before, and we'd juggernaut our way through every team we face. Still very pleased with the way things are going. I'm hoping everybody can keep an even keel when things get a little rough tho and don't just start jumping off the bandwagon and pointing fingers.

Edit: The Sedins are looking better and better with Burr and I'm happy with the way they're playing for the past couple of games! Loving Burr with that extra jump in his stride.

At this point, for me, the main issues still lingering are the Sedins' play in general and the powerplay. I obviously have faith in the goaltending, I have faith in the defense now that they've settled in and shaken off the rust and I actually have faith in the secondary scoring. I cannot stress enough how significant it is for the team that Raymond is rebounding into form and how that plays into the secondary scoring factor.

Things are working in general, but I don't trust the PP to produce in the key moments when the team needs a goal, and I'm quite concerned about the Sedins' level of play that doesn't really seem to be trending upwards. Them getting chances and maintaining possession in the offensive zone doesn't really do anything for me. They're cerebral players and will always find ways to get the puck in the zone and keep possession for extended stretches so it really isn't any kind of sign that they're breaking out. Need to see results, period.

people need to give it a rest on these goalies... we play better infront of them and they start to look better what a shocker this luongo is hot bs was garbage the last 2 games luongo won schnieds easily couldve won them aswell as our team infront of the goalies are playing much better luongo couldve easily won tonight home opener and vs the sharks were the 2 worst games in a long time for this team juggling lines lack of effort you name it it happend. now we are playing great infront of our goalies and everyone is concernd about whos starting. people who think luongo stole us any games or schnieds is playing unreal ect... are people who only watch canuck games watch around the league there are alot of goalis doing the same as them or better with worse teams infront of them. we are not pres trophy winners becasue of our goalies if that was the case lundqvist and quick or renne would be pres trophy winners but they are not y? becasue they dont have the best team infront of them. we need that extra peice or 2 to put us over the hump for the cup and thats why luongo/schnieds needs to go come playoff time one of them will be playing and one will be opening the door for the defence when they couldve been turned into a nice depth skilled player to help us out. just my 2 cents.

I gotta say, the team being 4 games above .500 at the 10 game mark far exceeds my expectation from the Canucks, given the missing pieces. Even with Kes and Booth in the line up, I would have considered being 6-2-2 at this stage as a bonus.

There are some surprises (some pleasant, some not)...

(1) How long it's taking (taken?) the Sedins to find their game legs.

(2) Play of Kass, Schroeder, Raymond, Tanev, Ballard, Volpatti.

(3) Play of Lu and Schneider (take away CS's starts against the Ducks season opener and Sharks).

(4) Just how bad our PP is (function of no. 1).

(5) Just how good our PK is.

(6) The sloppiness that is Edler and Bieksa's game.

(7) The quiet efficiency of Tanev's game...he looks like a young right handed Hamhuis to me. And he certainly outplayed Justin Schultz the other night.

(8) Lack of improvement among our NW rivals. I thought for sure each of the teams in our division improved a lot, but so far, from what we have seen, this does not seem to be the case.

So, those are my observations at the 20% mark...still not really representative of what is to come this season, but things look much better than it did after game 2.

people need to give it a rest on these goalies... we play better infront of them and they start to look better what a shocker this luongo is hot bs was garbage the last 2 games luongo won schnieds easily couldve won them aswell as our team infront of the goalies are playing much better luongo couldve easily won tonight home opener and vs the sharks were the 2 worst games in a long time for this team juggling lines lack of effort you name it it happend. now we are playing great infront of our goalies and everyone is concernd about whos starting. people who think luongo stole us any games or schnieds is playing unreal ect... are people who only watch canuck games watch around the league there are alot of goalis doing the same as them or better with worse teams infront of them. we are not pres trophy winners becasue of our goalies if that was the case lundqvist and quick or renne would be pres trophy winners but they are not y? becasue they dont have the best team infront of them. we need that extra peice or 2 to put us over the hump for the cup and thats why luongo/schnieds needs to go come playoff time one of them will be playing and one will be opening the door for the defence when they couldve been turned into a nice depth skilled player to help us out. just my 2 cents.

Good thread. 6-2-2 without Kes and Booth, Raymond, Tanev, both goalies, etc... WOW! The Sedins are not into full form, YET, but I for one am not worried about them or our PP at all. We do know who we are talking about right? The most consistent players on our team for a long time? My hypothesis is that they are making it look like they are a step behind and then when playoffs arrive POW! Sedinery all over the opponents zone and they won't know what hit them because they will have assumed they didn't have to worry or prepare for the Twins this year! THE CUP IS OURS lmao! They'll be fine so relax. :towel:

It's nice when the positive threads aren't rife with typos, fragments, run-ons and other unintelligible muck. OP says it right. Although I also feel it's necessary to keep the optimism tempered. I'm still not seeing the perfect timing and crisp, puck possession that I've gotten used to. I wouldn't feel very confident playing a team that was running at 100% efficiency, like, say, the Kings in the playoffs last year. It seems that it's taking teams longer this year to get going (undoubtedly related to the lockout and a lack of training camp and preseason games). It seems the Canucks are a bit ahead of the curve so far, thanks to the aforementioned elite goaltending, the renaissance of Raymond, Ballard, Kassian etc, and the steady improvement of underrated Hansen and Tanev. I am also not worried about the Sedins or the PP, as their fates are connected, because I'd have a hard time betting against that kind of talent. But other teams will get going too as time goes on. We just need to hope that our team finds a way to beat those teams when it counts.

Archived