Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Possible best NHL d-pairing in the near future?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: If seth jones to CBJ (after a couple seasons together) (21 member(s) have cast votes)

If Columbus drafts Seth Jones how would you rank murray-jones as a pairing

1. One of the best D-pairings in the NHL (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. One or both of them will be busts (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. Steady two-way pairing (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

4. Borderline NHL'ers (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kassassinate

Kassassinate

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

If Columbus bombs this season again, which i doubt they place in the upper class of the NHL (stranger things have happened though), they receive yet another high pick. If they pick Seth Jones, a potential future d-pairing line could be Ryan Murray- Seth Jones. Could this be one of the best D-pairing lines in the NHL after a couple of seasons of them playing together and developing chemistry. Hopefully CBJ doesn't get a high pick and draft jones, drouin, or mackinnon. This is assuming that they draft Seth Jones. Thoughts?

#2 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

As said by Nathan Mackinnon above me, Columbus needs scoring. NOW. Their defence should be fine as they already have Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski and also Ryan Murray (Kris Russel is decent as well)

Edited by monkeydluffy, 08 February 2013 - 01:15 AM.

Sig too big.

#3 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

What a random thought. But yes, what the other two said.

By the way, Kris Russell plays for the Blues.
Posted Image

#4 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

At this point, Washington has an equally, if not better chance of landing any one of MacKinnon, Drouin, or Jones. They are hur-ting.

#5 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

I don't think of either of them as good defensive guys, but I don't know much about their play.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#6 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

They need scoring. After Nash was traded, they really got nothing back for him.

THeir defence is fine like others have said.. Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski, Ryan Murray, Fedor Tyutin as their top 4 right now.. And they have a couple of great spects that have yet to round out with David Savard and John Moore. Also got Tim Erixon and Cody Goloubef who still have a few years before they reach their full potentials. Goaltending is a lock. They only need good goaltending from both Steve Mason and Sergei Bobrovsky. As long as they get average goaltending, within a decade or so, hopefully shorter for CBJ fans, they'll get the necessary scoring and they'll be a legit team to watch out for.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

View PostMarkus Alexander Cody, on 19 July 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#7 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

I don't think of either of them as good defensive guys, but I don't know much about their play.

If the World Juniors showed anything, that line is in for a mess if they are both played as a pair. Ryan Murray is an offensive catalyst. Seth Jones is turning out to be a good two way defenseman much like Kevin Bieksa's style of play, joining in on the rush when there's a chance, except Jones can actually shut down players in his zone. Could be a lethal combo but both these players love joining the rush and that could result in some amazing plays, but could also cost them a 2-0 breakaway the other way.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#8 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

You have to pick the best player available, and it could very well be Seth Jones. I'd pick Seth Jones over Mackinnon and Drouins. You draft for potential. There are less Prongers than they are skilled forwards. Seth Jones looks like the complete package. He isn't Kevin Bieksa, far from it. If he was Kevin Bieksa, he wouldn't even be considered a 1st rounder. We haven't seen a defense man like Jones to accomplish what he has, in his age, ever. He's everything Erik Johnson was suppose to be. Is it worth the risk? Hell yes.

Edited by Rey, 08 February 2013 - 02:50 AM.

#9 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

You have to pick the best player available, and it could very well be Seth Jones. I'd pick Seth Jones over Mackinnon and Drouins. You draft for potential. There are less Prongers than they are skilled forwards. Seth Jones looks like the complete package. He isn't Kevin Bieksa, far from it. If he was Kevin Bieksa, he wouldn't even be considered a 1st rounder. We haven't seen a defense man like Jones to accomplish what he has, in his age, ever. He's everything Erik Johnson was suppose to be. Is it worth the risk? Hell yes.

I said he plays a similar style to Kevin Bieksa. I never actually said he was a replica of Kevin Bieksa. Read carefully.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#10 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,871 posts

Philly's going to get him.
Posted Image

#11 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,431 posts

I said he plays a similar style to Kevin Bieksa. I never actually said he was a replica of Kevin Bieksa. Read carefully.

Also false.

#12 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Also false.

So Jones doesn't join the rush. Okay then.

Obviously I know Jones is three times the defenceman Bieksa will ever be, but to say that Jones doesn't have a similar two way game is amusing

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#13 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

Obviously I know Jones is three times the defenceman Bieksa will ever be, but to say that Jones doesn't have a similar two way game is amusing

What you are doing is just ridiculous. While, we're at it. Drouin plays the game style Byron Ritchie when he was 18 only, a million times better. Well, if the goof is a million times better. Add those damn intangibles, and you come up with a better damn comparison.

BTW - Jones is much more defensive first than Bieksa. If Bieksa was smart, he'd be defensive first as well since he plays best when he focuses on defense, but he doesn't and makes stupid bone headed plays. Styles are much different because Jones has much higher hockey IQ, size, offensive abilities, speed, physicality. It's not even close to the same style at this point. Just to throw it in for example. Jones will be able to take over a game with his physicality, while Bieksa can't.

A much better comparison is a more naturally gifted Alex Pietrangelo/Doug Hamilton. Pietrangelo sets himself apart with his insane hockey IQ, but Seth Jones has a bigger and better tools. At worst, he'll be in between, at best those two, at best, he'll be better than Pietragenlo, but it's hard to say cause i feel Pietrangelo is the best dman in the league. Regardlesss, with either a Pietrangelo or Hamilton caliber changes a team drastically.

They have 2 other 1st rounders in this draft, so they can go find a forward with that.

Throwing this out there - this kind of reminds me how TSN compares every defense man style to Mike Green.

Edited by Rey, 08 February 2013 - 03:25 AM.

#14 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

Don't forget all 14 teams that miss the playoffs randomly get put 1-14 so everyone that misses gets a chance at first overall

#15 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

Don't forget all 14 teams that miss the playoffs randomly get put 1-14 so everyone that misses gets a chance at first overall

I never knew that!

Posted Image

#16 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

I never knew that!

I think it's a new thing they added in CBA.. Not sure

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#17 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I never knew that, thats awesome!
This allows more competion for a playoff spot instead of teams just trying to get the best pick possible.

#18 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Yup last place has a 25% chance at first overall and 14th place is like 2.3% i think, then theres everything in between
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#19 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,581 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Steady two-way pairing.
Posted Image

#20 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yeah is it makes sure teams don't just lose on purpose late in the season to get first interesting to see how it works out this draft

#21 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well, lets not get on the Seth Jones wagon that quickly and make claims that will take years to verify.
Posted Image

#22 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,315 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Jones looks alot more like a more mobile version of Weber honestly.

I don't see much of a comparison to Bieksa at all.

As for the OP:

I think if they feel Jones is clearly better (If he proves himself to be, which I think is a very high possibility) then they should take him.

If they are neck and neck, I would take Mackinnon.

Either way a combo of either:

? - Johansen - Mackinnon
or
Murray - Jones

Would be incredible and would set them up for success for a long time.

zackass.png

#23 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Drouin will be the best player offensively, most HF posters were saying he looks a lot better then Mackinnon in most games right now.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#24 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Bieksa is bad
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#25 LoganBattleaxe

LoganBattleaxe

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

most of the teams at the bottom would rather have mckinnon. If possible I'd try and get drouin too. Those kids are unstopable together.

#26 LoganBattleaxe

LoganBattleaxe

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

If I was washington and I received a first overall I'd make a trade for the 3rd overall and keep them together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.