K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

To Van. J. Franzen + 3rd round 2013

To Det. Ballard +Raymond

The basis of trade is obviously Franzen for Ballard
Their cap hits are close. 3.95 vs. 4.2mil.
Is this trade ballanced enough?

Fills Canucks need for top 6 size,grit and scoring.
Wings need for skilled D-man.

Sedin. Sedin. Franzen
Booth. Kessler. Kassian/Burrows
Higgins. Schroeder. Burrows/Kassian
Volpatti. Lapierre. Hansen
Weise. Molholtra

Acquire top D-man and prospects through trade
Of Luongo/Schneider

#2 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Detroit might be thin on the blueline, but they're not this desperate. Franzen is also signed until 2020, so this would be a slap in the face to the younger guys in our system who are fighting for a future spot in the top-six.

That being said, Franzen's got a sweet cap hit.

Edited by Peace Bond, 08 February 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#3 TspecPA

TspecPA

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

We have gone into the playoffs the last three years
With basically the same lineup and have not won
The cup. Close is only close. Other top teams have
Made improvements. If we don't do likewise by
Addressing our lack of scoring and toughness on
All four lines, I believe we'll fall short again.

I feel getting Franzen does this in a big way and
As you mentioned, with a "sweet" cap hit. This
Benefits us on ice today and is manageable for
Yrs to come.

As far as prospects in our system, I agree it will
Be nice to see them have an chance. They will.
Other contracts will expire, others will be traded
And they will step up to fill in for those or for
The injured.

Detroit not being desperate to do this? I asked
If this was ballanced. What would you suggest as
Fair compensation? Tweek the trade!

#4 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'm too lazy/tired to break down this proposal, but I will offer an alternate suggestion, something that I think is a little more balanced and gives Detroit fair return for Franzen.

To VAN:
Johan Franzen

To DET:
Kevin Bieksa

I think that's something Detroit would consider. One team gets a major upgrade on defence, the other gets a major upgrade up front. I wouldn't do it myself, but that's a little more even in value IMO.

#5 TspecPA

TspecPA

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Room for prospects opportunity in near future. The following contracts expire:
UFA's 2013 are Ebbett,Malhotra,Volpatti,Higgins,Lapierre
RFA's 2013 are Weise and Schroeder
UFA. 2014 Hansen.
I like Higgins,Lapierre,Schroeder and Volpatti. Lines next year:
Sedin. Sedin. Franzen
Higgins. Schroeder/Gaunce. Kassian/Burrows/Jenzen
Volpatti. Lapierre. Hanzen

Still looks respectable with Schroeder and Gaunce battling for a spot and Jenzen getting a look when needed. Alot of "Zen".

#6 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Room for prospects opportunity in near future. The following contracts expire:
UFA's 2013 are Ebbett,Malhotra,Volpatti,Higgins,Lapierre
RFA's 2013 are Weise and Schroeder
UFA. 2014 Hansen.
I like Higgins,Lapierre,Schroeder and Volpatti. Lines next year:
Sedin. Sedin. Franzen
Higgins. Schroeder/Gaunce. Kassian/Burrows/Jenzen
Volpatti. Lapierre. Hanzen

Still looks respectable with Schroeder and Gaunce battling for a spot and Jenzen getting a look when needed. Alot of "Zen".

Nope, no current 'Zens' on this team. LOL

Malhotra and possibly Higgins will be let walk after this year, so you're right, there will be room in the near future. However, while I do think Franzen would be a great addition, Detroit would be loth to give him up for anything less than a top-four defenseman. Franzen's one of those guys who I think they'd give up in a 'hockey trade', like the one I suggested above, where both teams would benefit, not for spare parts like Raymond and Ballard. Yes, both those guys are playing well this season, but outside of Vancouver... has anyone really noticed?

If we want to round out our bottom-six with toughness and scoring, I say we make a push to sign Brenden Morrow this offseason.

#7 TspecPA

TspecPA

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I agree more with your valuation and could live with that. Keeping in mind that Luo or Schneider would be used to reload the defence.
What part would you not be interested in doing, acquiring Franzen,parting with Bieksa or both. There are not many options out there for someone that fills both needs up front(scoring and size/grit) in the same cap range.
Clowe.                          3.625.  UFA 2013
Van Riemsdyke.          4.25
Backes.                        4.5
Getzlaf.                        5.325. UFA 2013
Perry.                           5.325. UFA 2013

#8 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

franzen is the replacement to holmstrom. Hed be a perfect fit for the twins, doubt they would trade him for ballard

but how effective is franzen at age 40 with 3.9 cap? guess he could be bought out.

sedin sedin franzen- thats a solid line great in playoffs potentially as franzen is a beast.

burrows kesler booth - decent

higgins lapierre hansen

problem is with franzen kassian would be hard pressed to fit in top 9 unless we traded or didnt sign higgins, booth, lappy etc

#9 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm too lazy/tired to break down this proposal, but I will offer an alternate suggestion, something that I think is a little more balanced and gives Detroit fair return for Franzen.

To VAN:
Johan Franzen

To DET:
Kevin Bieksa

I think that's something Detroit would consider. One team gets a major upgrade on defence, the other gets a major upgrade up front. I wouldn't do it myself, but that's a little more even in value IMO.

Bieksa will not be traded. We have only two right side defensemen, and he is the best one.

But that's moot, because Detroit will not be trading Franzen anyway. He's a core Red Wing.

#10 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

Raymond's playing really well right now so I wouldn't want to trade him, looks like he's got his game back, and he's the only secondary offence we have right now. As for Ballard, it looks like he too is rediscovering his game, his last game was IMO his best of his tenure as a Canuck.

Bieksa on the otherhand has been brutal defensively since Mitchell left - Hamhuis just covers up his mistakes. This season he isn't even scoring that much, Edler and Hamhuis are carrying the offence from the blueline.

Bieksa and maybe a 2nd or 1st rounder for Franzen would be ideal for both teams. Detroit get a big-minute guy, Vancouver get a big swede who is the PERFECT fit for the Sedins and a playoff performer.

Sedin - Sedin - Franzen
Burrows - Kesler - Booth
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Kassian - Lapierre - Higgins
Malhotra

Edler - Hamhuis
Ballard - Tanev
Garrison - Barker
Vandermeer
Alberts

Still fantastic depth on the blueline, Ballard and Tanev are proving to me that they're one of the better pairings on this team and deserve more ice time (18-20 minutes) whereas Garrison has struggled a bit and doesn't quite deserve the minutes he was getting in Florida. We still have 8 NHL defencemen which is plenty.

On offence, the Canucks now become the deepest attack in the league by a long shot. Having a 20 goal scorer in Higgins on your 4th line proves this, that 4th line will be the difference maker in long playoff series just the way Boston's, Pittsburgh's, Detroits and Chicago's were to their success. That is a perfect, balanced attack with the right amount of speed, skill, size, youth and veteran experience.

You win Cups with depth at the forward position, big-time stars on defence (not necessarily depth) and good goaltending. This lineup has it all. If our D seems a bit shotty come trade-deadline we can always move a goaltender for a top-4 guy without much trouble.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.