The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van-Det

TspecPA

To Van. J. Franzen + 3rd round 2013

To Det. Ballard +Raymond

The basis of trade is obviously Franzen for Ballard

Their cap hits are close. 3.95 vs. 4.2mil.

Is this trade ballanced enough?

Fills Canucks need for top 6 size,grit and scoring.

Wings need for skilled D-man.

Sedin. Sedin. Franzen

Booth. Kessler. Kassian/Burrows

Higgins. Schroeder. Burrows/Kassian

Volpatti. Lapierre. Hansen

Weise. Molholtra

Acquire top D-man and prospects through trade

Of Luongo/Schneider

Detroit might be thin on the blueline, but they're not this desperate. Franzen is also signed until 2020, so this would be a slap in the face to the younger guys in our system who are fighting for a future spot in the top-six.

That being said, Franzen's got a sweet cap hit.

We have gone into the playoffs the last three years

With basically the same lineup and have not won

The cup. Close is only close. Other top teams have

Made improvements. If we don't do likewise by

Addressing our lack of scoring and toughness on

All four lines, I believe we'll fall short again.

I feel getting Franzen does this in a big way and

As you mentioned, with a "sweet" cap hit. This

Benefits us on ice today and is manageable for

Yrs to come.

As far as prospects in our system, I agree it will

Be nice to see them have an chance. They will.

Other contracts will expire, others will be traded

And they will step up to fill in for those or for

The injured.

Detroit not being desperate to do this? I asked

If this was ballanced. What would you suggest as

Fair compensation? Tweek the trade!

I'm too lazy/tired to break down this proposal, but I will offer an alternate suggestion, something that I think is a little more balanced and gives Detroit fair return for Franzen.

To VAN:

Johan Franzen

To DET:

Kevin Bieksa

I think that's something Detroit would consider. One team gets a major upgrade on defence, the other gets a major upgrade up front. I wouldn't do it myself, but that's a little more even in value IMO.

Room for prospects opportunity in near future. The following contracts expire:

UFA's 2013 are Ebbett,Malhotra,Volpatti,Higgins,Lapierre

RFA's 2013 are Weise and Schroeder

UFA. 2014 Hansen.

I like Higgins,Lapierre,Schroeder and Volpatti. Lines next year:

Sedin. Sedin. Franzen

Higgins. Schroeder/Gaunce. Kassian/Burrows/Jenzen

Volpatti. Lapierre. Hanzen

Still looks respectable with Schroeder and Gaunce battling for a spot and Jenzen getting a look when needed. Alot of "Zen".

Room for prospects opportunity in near future. The following contracts expire:

UFA's 2013 are Ebbett,Malhotra,Volpatti,Higgins,Lapierre

RFA's 2013 are Weise and Schroeder

UFA. 2014 Hansen.

I like Higgins,Lapierre,Schroeder and Volpatti. Lines next year:

Sedin. Sedin. Franzen

Higgins. Schroeder/Gaunce. Kassian/Burrows/Jenzen

Volpatti. Lapierre. Hanzen

Still looks respectable with Schroeder and Gaunce battling for a spot and Jenzen getting a look when needed. Alot of "Zen".

I agree more with your valuation and could live with that. Keeping in mind that Luo or Schneider would be used to reload the defence.

What part would you not be interested in doing, acquiring Franzen,parting with Bieksa or both. There are not many options out there for someone that fills both needs up front(scoring and size/grit) in the same cap range.

Clowe.                          3.625.  UFA 2013

Van Riemsdyke.          4.25

Backes.                        4.5

Getzlaf.                        5.325. UFA 2013

Perry.                           5.325. UFA 2013

franzen is the replacement to holmstrom. Hed be a perfect fit for the twins, doubt they would trade him for ballard

but how effective is franzen at age 40 with 3.9 cap? guess he could be bought out.

sedin sedin franzen- thats a solid line great in playoffs potentially as franzen is a beast.

burrows kesler booth - decent

higgins lapierre hansen

problem is with franzen kassian would be hard pressed to fit in top 9 unless we traded or didnt sign higgins, booth, lappy etc

I'm too lazy/tired to break down this proposal, but I will offer an alternate suggestion, something that I think is a little more balanced and gives Detroit fair return for Franzen.

To VAN:

Johan Franzen

To DET:

Kevin Bieksa

I think that's something Detroit would consider. One team gets a major upgrade on defence, the other gets a major upgrade up front. I wouldn't do it myself, but that's a little more even in value IMO.

Raymond's playing really well right now so I wouldn't want to trade him, looks like he's got his game back, and he's the only secondary offence we have right now. As for Ballard, it looks like he too is rediscovering his game, his last game was IMO his best of his tenure as a Canuck.

Bieksa on the otherhand has been brutal defensively since Mitchell left - Hamhuis just covers up his mistakes. This season he isn't even scoring that much, Edler and Hamhuis are carrying the offence from the blueline.

Bieksa and maybe a 2nd or 1st rounder for Franzen would be ideal for both teams. Detroit get a big-minute guy, Vancouver get a big swede who is the PERFECT fit for the Sedins and a playoff performer.

Sedin - Sedin - Franzen

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Kassian - Lapierre - Higgins

Malhotra

Edler - Hamhuis

Ballard - Tanev

Garrison - Barker

Vandermeer

Alberts

Still fantastic depth on the blueline, Ballard and Tanev are proving to me that they're one of the better pairings on this team and deserve more ice time (18-20 minutes) whereas Garrison has struggled a bit and doesn't quite deserve the minutes he was getting in Florida. We still have 8 NHL defencemen which is plenty.

On offence, the Canucks now become the deepest attack in the league by a long shot. Having a 20 goal scorer in Higgins on your 4th line proves this, that 4th line will be the difference maker in long playoff series just the way Boston's, Pittsburgh's, Detroits and Chicago's were to their success. That is a perfect, balanced attack with the right amount of speed, skill, size, youth and veteran experience.

You win Cups with depth at the forward position, big-time stars on defence (not necessarily depth) and good goaltending. This lineup has it all. If our D seems a bit shotty come trade-deadline we can always move a goaltender for a top-4 guy without much trouble.

Archived