The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about the draft

PRIMO88

Hey guys, please help me out I'm a bit confused about this draft. When trying to research answers myself i just keep coming up with the stupid crosby draft. My question is; so since this year is a 48 game season, will it be the 3 ball system that drafted crosby or will it be this 1-14 system that I've just heard about? Also, if canucks traded for a 1st and won (in some god given miracle) would you go with Jones or Mackinnon?

The old system was you could only move up so many spots. Sounds like to me they got rid of that. I'm against the whole draft lottery system. The NBA uses it, and the same teams year after year never improve. The NFL just uses a draft based on where you finish. And there's more parity in the NFL. So it would appear that system works. Look at Indy this year. Worst team to a playoff team in 1 year.

Besides I don't why people worry about the same teams finishing last and getting first overall on a regular basis. Just because you pick first doesn't mean you draft or develop your players properly.

The old system was you could only move up so many spots. Sounds like to me they got rid of that. I'm against the whole draft lottery system. The NBA uses it, and the same teams year after year never improve. The NFL just uses a draft based on where you finish. And there's more parity in the NFL. So it would appear that system works. Look at Indy this year. Worst team to a playoff team in 1 year.

Besides I don't why people worry about the same teams finishing last and getting first overall on a regular basis. Just because you pick first doesn't mean you draft or develop your players properly.

From this draft on the bottom 14 teams all have a shot (mathematically determined by their final position) for the first pick. Once the first pick is determined the rest of the 29 picks are laid out by record. So, if say, the team the 23rd best record gets the first pick then pick 2 goes to team 30, pick 3 to team 29, etc. skipping over 23 who already got their pick.

From this draft on the bottom 14 teams all have a shot (mathematically determined by their final position) for the first pick. Once the first pick is determined the rest of the 29 picks are laid out by record. So, if say, the team the 23rd best record gets the first pick then pick 2 goes to team 30, pick 3 to team 29, etc. skipping over 23 who already got their pick.

Hard to tell where the Canucks will be on the board this early in the season, but I like Valentin Zykov, 6' 200lb RW tearing it up in the Q right now. He's currently ranked 20th overall and probably the best RW the Canucks have a chance at drafting, which is really the spot they're weakest at in the system.

Edit: Oh, you meant first overall. MacKinnon probably, maybe Monahan who is more of an AV type player.

Archived