The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sick Thread

Heretic

wow thats crazy. Home sick today and decide to log into CDC for a distraction only to see someone started a thread about the same flu/cold/fever I have. Been sick since Thursday. Yesterday I was really cold and all my muscles hurt, today I feel feverish and my throat is so sore I can barely talk. Go figure.

Get well soon OP.

The worst sick I ever had was that stupid norwalk virus. I remember laying in bed, wanting Gravol, so instead of waking up my husband, I ventured to get downstairs to get some. I collapsed half way down the stairs, fighting off losing consciousness (very dehydrated from not keeping anything down), I lay there for a while, crying, then finally got some energy to make it the rest of the way down the stairs, where I laid on the floor. Crawled to the pantry and tried many times to stand up to reach the Gravol. Finally got it, laid down again (passed out that time, I think). Took the Gravol and somehow crawled back up the stairs to bed, crying and literally thinking I wasn't going to make it to morning - I was sure I'd kick off.

My husband was NOT impressed that I didn't wake him!

This winter, I've avoided all the flu/colds that have been going around (knock on wood).

Growing up I never got sick. I got a cold like everyone else during the years, but only had the flu once in grade 2 where I had to miss school.

I had a kid almost 3 years ago and have had some sort of stomach virus or something 3 times.

1st time both my wife and I were puking our guts out and I had to miss 3 days of work. I had to have my mom pick up our kid who was about 8 months old at the time.

The other time was about a month ago, but it was just me and it lasted less then 24 hours. That was over the weekend so I didn't miss any work.

Got a norovirus 4 years ago. Wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Uncontrollable liquid release from both ends for 5 days. Drank water to keep hydrated... It left via random orifices. Unbearable, constant headache. Nearly impossible to sleep. Sensitive to light. Couldn't eat. Body ache. Even my hair hurt!

It sucked.

On topic, Norovirus has been a huge problem over here recently. My whole family got it one after another, so I decided that I probably wouldn't be going home for a while after that :lol:

I rarely get sick though. Although in the summer I had food poisoning in combination with heatstroke. That was the worst feeling ever. Spent 15 straight hours on the bathroom floor before I could summon the strength to go to bed. Was on the verge of going to hospital. In hindsight I probably should have gone, but I recovered OK, so meh.

Feel free to discuss any illness you have had.

I'm just near the tail end of a whopper.

Apparently this has been going around the Okanagan...

Let me describe the sickness I just had.

First, try to remember the worst flu you ever had.

Next, remember the worst cold you ever had.

Then, remember the worst cough you ever had.

Now imagine having those all at the same time.

But wait, let me get downright descriptive.

You know that taste you get right before you're about to throw up?

Imagine having that for at least 3 days straight.

You can barely eat, cause you "think" it won't stay down plus everything tastes so bad.

Your fever gets so high that you have hallucinations (yes, I saw a white light).

You feel your heart just a pounding and wonder if it will be able to take it.

The headaches are so bad that it feels like the acetaminophen isn't doing anything at all.

You have that fever but you also feel cold - hot and cold at the same time.

It comes in waves, like a fishing boat off the coast of Newfoundland being rocked by 30 foot squalls.

The cough isn't normal at all.

It lasts for 5 to 20 seconds, it's violent and uncontrollable.

When done, it feels like someone has kicked you in the chest and broke some of your ribs.

That happens several times a day.

Speaking of your body, it feels like you've just run a marathon, every muscle is sore as well as you got pain in your joints. Some of your muscles actually spasm, twitch uncontrollably for a few seconds.

Your cognitive ability is degraded. That is, you can't seem to think very well nor understand what someone says all the time.

Remember how slow the Ents (tree creatures) were in Lord of The Rings?

You're a sick Ent. You're lying on the couch and you feel like you want something to drink.

10 minutes later, you're still on the couch. Eventually, you get up and slowly make your way to the kitchen.

If you're lucky, you don't have one of those violent coughing attacks while you're carrying your glass of Fresca back to the living room - for there's no way you will be able to hold on to it.

You will also spend a significant amount of time in the bathroom - but I won't go into details there.

Supposedly, this "super" bug lasts 3-7 days.

I've had the same thing for the past 5 days, it's going around a lot up here in Dawson Creek. We've been getting really weird weather lately -30 to -40 for a couple days then up to +5 a day or so later.

• 1 year later...

Dang. Was looking for a Sick Thread and here's one from 2013 when GD, SC and Argon were still around. I miss those guys..

I'm sick. I probably could have filled a 2 liter jar with all of the mucus that has come out of my nose so far. My hands are dry from all of the hand washing after blowing my nose too.

Yeah, it's not a nice feeling. I am sick too. Cough drops and other over the counter medications are my best friends right now.

I can't remember the last time I had the flu or had to deal with some bug or another. I'd take that stuff over depressive episodes and panic attacks any day though.

Remember to get your flu shots.

I'll strengthen my immune system and take my chances, thanks.

I once had such bad food poisoning that I vomited and cold sweated myself into mild hypothermia. That was not a fun day. I think by the end my temperature had dropped around 6 degrees. Then two weeks later I got the swine flu and had a 104 fever. Pretty well the crappiest month ever.

I can't remember the last time I had the flu or had to deal with some bug or another. I'd take that stuff over depressive episodes and panic attacks any day though.

Remember to get your flu shots.

Wouldn't everyone? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say the wished they had depression instead of the flu.

Wouldn't everyone? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say the wished they had depression instead of the flu.

well here I am in the pit of hell wishing I had the swine flu instead

I'll strengthen my immune system and take my chances, thanks.

I've never taken flu shots and I only got the flu once in the last ten years, I think I'm one of those terrible carrier people that make others sick. Have your kids had to deal with the flu yet?

Archived