The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on the Window of Opportunity

JamesB

I think the only somewhat urgent position that really needs to be worried about when it comes to keeping the window open is the drafting and development of another top-flight skilled center for the future (Gaunce is okay but his skating speed's repeatedly been put into question by scouts, and Hank's pretty durable but there will be a day when he retires inevitably; Kes is injury-prone now and I wouldn't want to rush Brendan or Schroeder to play above their levels).

The reason I focus on the future of the team's centers is because they really aren't very deep; on the wings there's decent young depth (Raymond, Hansen, heck Booth's still only 28 and they have Jensen and Kassian coming up, plus some wingers can play on the opposite side to offset any lack of depth); on D the Top 4's set for awhile (Edler's 26, Garrison's 28 and Tanev's 23 and should develop quite nicely, with Corrado, Connauton, Price, McNally, etc. developing) and in net they're pretty deep too (Lu, Cory, Lack, Cannata). Labate was supposed to have good upside but haven't heard from him for awhile, and Gaunce's been playing wing with Belleville. Schroeder's already up with the team, and doubt Mallet/ Friesen will amount to much.

For now I really wouldn't worry too much aside from that; the Twins are still doing their thing (though at slower rate) and aside from them, Burr, Hamhuis, Lu and Bieksa the rest of the team's under 30. If they really slow down that's when they should try to infuse more youth or give the roster guys bigger roles, but the window should stay open as long as the group can be retained.

So,you would rather win the cup "no matter the circumstance" than win the President's Trophy by simply out performing and leading every other team in the league in every meaningful statistic? So it is the Cup, not what the Cup signifies, that you care most about? Is it me, or is this everything that is wrong with our species on the whole?

So,you would rather win the cup "no matter the circumstance" than win the President's Trophy by simply out performing and leading every other team in the league in every meaningful statistic? So it is the Cup, not what the Cup signifies, that you care most about? Is it me, or is this everything that is wrong with our species on the whole?

2. The key to the Stanley Cup is often having a hot goaltender (think of the last two Cups and the role of Quick and Thomas). If the Canucks keeps both Luongo and Schneider they double their chances of having a top flight goalie who gets hot at the right time. I think that what Gillis is doing makes sense. Unless he gets a great deal for Luongo (or Schneider) having them both available for the playoffs probably gives the Canucks their best shot a Cup.

Over the last few years there has been a lot of talk about the Canucks window of opportunity to win a Cup. This year might be the best shot for a while and I think the goalie situation is a key aspect of the situation. Here is the thinking.

1. Right now the Canucks are a very good team and when Kesler and Booth come back they will probably be as good as any team in the NHL.

2. The key to the Stanley Cup is often having a hot goaltender (think of the last two Cups and the role of Quick and Thomas). If the Canucks keeps both Luongo and Schneider they double their chances of having a top flight goalie who gets hot at the right time. I think that what Gillis is doing makes sense. Unless he gets a great deal for Luongo (or Schneider) having them both available for the playoffs probably gives the Canucks their best shot a Cup.

3. We all know about the age-related issues. The core of the Canucks for the last several years has been the Sedins. Without their scoring (and high performance to cap-hit ratio) the Canucks would just be a good team, not a genuine cup contender. And they are about the age where you expect an age-related decline to start. We should not see a big drop-off in performance, and they will still be good players for a few years yet, but they will not be as dominant.

4. The cap reduction of about 6 million will hurt the Canucks as much as it hurts any team next year. The Canucks will not be able to have over 9 million devoted to goaltenders or pay 4.2 million for Ballard. Ballard and one goaltender will have to go and even then there will not be room to add anyone at a significant cap hit. Even re-signing Raymond, Malhotra, Higgins, and Lapierre is in doubt for cap-related reasons.

5. The only really good young player who should improve enough to be a core contributor over the next few years is Kassian. Most of the core players are veterans. Tanev is young and good but I see him levelling off where he is now -- a solid defensive D who can play shutdown but without much offensive contribution and without a physical game -- a great guy to have a low cap hit. And the recent draft picks are a few years away.

Bottom Line: This year is probably going to be the best shot for a while.

I think with the playoffs prize caps doubled and all signs are pointing to high growth for a significantly increased cap for the 14/15 season, that players may sign short 1 year contracts with big prize potential in the play offs. That way when the salary cap is increased to almost 70 million players can then sign the contracts they deserve/want.

On the topic of our window is closing I would like to rectify that statement. I believe the window for the Sedins to be the number 1 line while we are contenders is closing. They have 2-3 more years as our top line before they start to be out performed by our rising stars. When you create an atmosphere for long term winning like the Canucks have, you get players that will sign at reduced salaries to stay here albeit with a NTC. We have star Defense and goal tending in the ranks and we have some good centres, and I am sure we can pick up a few wingers through trades and free agency as we go.

shortened season so don't want to win? why are we bothering playing any games then? ridiculous.

window closing? some teams just hit that stride and win it all. that is more typical than a window closing. that said, you have to have the pieces that CAN come together, and that is the only window that exists.

so ya, we have a window. it may be longer than you all think...

Archived