The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on the Window of Opportunity

JamesB

Schneider played unreal in the playoffs, and I still don't blame Lu for the stanley cup debacle. You know why there's so much pressure on the goalies? Because nobody can score in the playoffs.

it's almost hilarious how fast people forget there is no scoring depth on this team in the playoffs. We've made a living on powerplays and capitalizing on the other team's mistakes for years. Guess what, in the playoffs they will eventually put the whistle away and teams tighten up and check hard. It's not a different team, we're still going to see the same thing in the playoffs unless we make a move.

Moving a goalie will basically give us two 1st lines (when kes n booth get back), and two 3rd lines. Each one of these lines would be envies of the league. When you can have that without taking away from arguably one of the better defenses in the league, and you still have a goalie like schneider/Luo you win cups.

We've done the rely on your goalie and defense to win the game for you approach almost every year, it's time to give them some support.

I disagree that keeping both gives us the best chance. Choosing the best one then trading the other one for pieces that fill other holes in our lineup gives us a far better chance. People who are so intent on keeping both seem to view a potential trade as the Canucks losing something for whatever reason. They should be seeing it as an opportunity to improve the team. Remember that come playoff time, most likely only 1 of these goalies is going to be able to help us.

couldn't care less about the 'hollow win' winning a cup in a shortened season would bring. How can any Canuck fan even say they wouldn't want to win the cup, no matter the circumstance?

Every team played the same number of regular season games. And besides, I view the Stanley Cup as the winner of the playoffs. The playoffs will still be 4 grueling best of 7 series. The regular season and the playoffs are too completely different things to me. The Canucks have proved that with two straight presidents trophies. - now those are 'hollow wins.'

The haters in 2011 were claiming there should be asterisk should we have won that year. (due to the Canucks being like the most evil team in history) I wouldn't worry about it and be just as happy getting the cup under any conditions. Every team had the same road and no matter what, others will hate us for it.

I'm afraid I wouldn't really want the cup this year. Seems like an asterisk year, what with the no pre-season or camp and half as many games. I know a cup is a cup, but it wold be a hollow victory in my mind.

That said, the window was extended by some wise moves on MG's part. Namely Kassian and Schneider. Other key pieces to the puzzle are a solid d-core, which can always be supplemented by rentals, and a nice variety of fairly young, scrappy forwards - Burr, Kes, Higgins, Hansen, Lappierre and others.

Age isn't going to be a factor for a while. Even then it won't be much of a factor.

The only piece that may be problematic is the head coach, but that may not even matter so much.

Nobody scoffs at the Rangers cup, if anything i'd think this is more difficult. So many back to backs with no time to prepare, I don't think any NHL player would argue the team that wins this year doesn't deserve it.

Besides, a cup is a cup is a cup.

The season doesn't matter in the least bit imo. Its all about the playoffs. If only one guy can help us in the playoffs, then there is no sense in keeping both now. Make the trade so we can give our new players time to settle in and get used to our system.

Maybe I'm just completely fed up with this situation but I want to see a resolution very soon. If we really are going to stick with Schneider, this media circus and controversy shortly after he resigned can't be good for him or his relationship with the franchise.

I still understand your point though.

Schneider played unreal in the playoffs, and I still don't blame Lu for the stanley cup debacle. You know why there's so much pressure on the goalies? Because nobody can score in the playoffs.

it's almost hilarious how fast people forget there is no scoring depth on this team in the playoffs. We've made a living on powerplays and capitalizing on the other team's mistakes for years. Guess what, in the playoffs they will eventually put the whistle away and teams tighten up and check hard. It's not a different team, we're still going to see the same thing in the playoffs unless we make a move.

Moving a goalie will basically give us two 1st lines (when kes n booth get back), and two 3rd lines. Each one of these lines would be envies of the league. When you can have that without taking away from arguably one of the better defenses in the league, and you still have a goalie like schneider/Luo you win cups.

We've done the rely on your goalie and defense to win the game for you approach almost every year, it's time to give them some support.

As long as the team remains competitive and makes the playoffs we've got a chance. We might not have the powerhouse team we've had the last few seasons but we'll have a chance. Gillis doesn't seem to be building for a window of opportunity so much as looking for long-term stability.

Yeah, I agree completely about playoff scoring. Everyone checks as hard as they can. 100%. Goals come from lucky bounces, mistakes, and the ability of high skilled plays to create chances.

It's awesome having two great goalies and I can live with it but probably only one plays in the playoffs, although this year goalies could be changed in the playoffs with minimal adaptation.

If we did make a trade I would be worried about what AV would do with all of the wingers unless one was traded. In my opinion one of the problems with having a versitile line up like we do. We can play people all over the place and help cover injuries and such but when the competition level hightens we struggle to compete playwise. I don't see too much problem with having an actual player that is more envisioned to play the second line role than the three we have now. Then again, there is now Kassian who may get a shot on that line.

I'm afraid I wouldn't really want the cup this year. Seems like an asterisk year, what with the no pre-season or camp and half as many games. I know a cup is a cup, but it wold be a hollow victory in my mind.

That said, the window was extended by some wise moves on MG's part. Namely Kassian and Schneider. Other key pieces to the puzzle are a solid d-core, which can always be supplemented by rentals, and a nice variety of fairly young, scrappy forwards - Burr, Kes, Higgins, Hansen, Lappierre and others.

Age isn't going to be a factor for a while. Even then it won't be much of a factor.

The only piece that may be problematic is the head coach, but that may not even matter so much.

Couple of thoughts. Lu will be traded if Gillis gets a good enough offer. He will pull the trigger if he's given the right deal. Who wouldn't? He is not committed to waiting to the off season in order to give the team two good goalies throughout this shortened year and the playoffs. Think about it.

Second, remember last year in the playoffs, Lu was pulled. But the team was already behind in the series at that point. This is the flaw in the " two goalies give us a better chance in the playoffs" theory. By the time you know that one guy isn't hot you're already behind the 8 ball.

Archived