5 replies to this topic

#1 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

My computer at work is very limited in its capabilities. This was reported on www.bbc.co.uk

Samuel Mullet and Amish beard-cutters jailed
Ten men and six women were convicted of hate crimes over the attacks
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Amish haircut attackers guilty
An Ohio Amish sect leader has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for directing hair- and beard-cutting attacks on Amish people in 2011.

Fifteen of Samuel Mullet's followers were also given prison sentences ranging from one to seven years.

They were convicted of hate crime after prosecutors argued the five attacks were motivated by religious disputes.

Amish people believe the Bible instructs women not to cut their hair, and men to grow beards once they marry.

His ankles in chains, Mullet, 67, told Friday's hearing that he had always tried to help people.

'Terrorised'
"That's been my goal all my life," he told the hushed courtroom.

But Judge Dan Aaron Polster was not convinced.

Samuel Mullet argued he did not order the attacks but did not stop them either "The victims were terrorised and traumatised," he told the court. He said Mullet's victims had their constitutional rights to religious freedom violated.

Mullet has been accused of running a cult and exercising absolute control over the breakaway Amish settlement he founded two decades ago.

He allegedly punished male members by making them sleep in chicken coops. Mullet also practised sexual "counselling" for married women in his community, according to court documents.

During the trial, victims of the attacks testified they were restrained and had their hair forcibly cut using scissors, clippers, shears and battery-operated razors.

Defence lawyers argued the attacks were a result of personal disputes in the Amish community in Bergholz, Ohio.

They appealed for leniency, citing the hardship the small community had faced without some of the men during the winter.

Prosecutors recommended lighter sentences for Mullet's followers and suggested that family members serve at different times in order to care for the defendants' 50 children.

Mullet was not accused of participating in the hair-cutting attacks, but prosecutors said he encouraged the other defendants - six women and nine men, including four of his sons - to carry them out.

"There is no doubt that Mullet wanted, agreed with and encouraged all of these attacks," prosecutors said in a court filing.

I'm a religious person, not Amish though. But really, 15 year prison sentence?

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#2 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Samuel Mullet and Amish beard-cutters jailed.

A guy named "Mullet" jailed for cutting hair. Oh the irony. ::D

#3 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Don't mess with a man's beard!!!!
Posted Image

#4 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

My computer at work is very limited in its capabilities. This was reported on www.bbc.co.uk

I'm a religious person, not Amish though. But really, 15 year prison sentence?

sounds good to me. all cult leaders ought to be brought to justice for their crimes against the naive.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#5 tj1990

tj1990

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Turns out the meek shall inherit the girth

#6 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.