Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Everybody Hates Raymond

[Rumour/Speculation] Capitals may try to trade Ovechkin

135 posts in this topic

If he doesn't produce this year or the next he is gone. Huge trade value. They can go for a bunch of top notch prospects.

Kunetzov

Forsberg

Wilson

?

?

?

People say Luongo has an immovable contract.. That's peanuts compared to what Ovie is owed.

If there is any merit to this - I foresee many Islander rumors about this. Wang is probably the only owner crazy enough to make a play for him. :lol:

Looks like he's just speculating.

From Cuthbert's Twitter:

Won't throw a bunch of names out but have to think #Caps and a few other #NHL teams will have internal discussions re Ovechkin #intriguing

Apparently few think Ovechkin, once considered the #NHL's best player, can rediscover his game at age 27. Anybody? #freshstart

Pondered 2 questions while shoveling for the last hr; why no snowblower? And is now the time for #Caps and Ovie to consider a trade? #NHL

i dont think he has huge trade value. his play is no were near the worth of 9.5m cap hit for how many years

if he was producing like 4 years ago then yes but now, i dont think he could fetch an absurd overpayment from another team

Ovechkin always faces the enemy's worst players and gets tons of ice time. His stats are often boosted because of that.

The Over-Fed-Chicken is not worth $10m a year.

$9.53M caphit till 2020/2021 .....lol only a few teams could manage that.

Pair him WITH a top pick(2013 1st), and/or top prospect to lessen the cap-sting.

Take back some other putrid deals. EG: Ovi, Hendricks & Forsberg, for: Tor: Grabovski, Komisarek.

Less IS more for the Caps.

Freidman said this morning on 1040 he doesnt have a back diving contract and is still owed a whopping 76 mill on his current contract.

Ovechkin remains one of the game's most marketable stars. His overall value exceeds his hockey value. This is especially true for non-traditional hockey markets. Teams I could see having interest include the Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Islanders and Flyers.

Toronto's a team which could actually afford the risk. IF Washington's willing to throw in 2 more young pieces(eg:Wilson and a 1st).

The Leafs will be opening tonnes of Cap space over the coming few seasons. If OV bombed, they could amnesty him in summer 2014, or buyout a couple seasons later. By then Cap-limit will probably be stratospheric.

In that starving, voracious market, if they rebuilt a fast, powerful team, they'd recoup their losses within a few seasons.

That would be one hard deal to make. I know a lot of Capitals fans are getting sick of the guy and his antics, but in all honesty, his cap-hit makes him more or less impossible to move.

i would risk it... rather him than the Rick nash rumours from last year.Besides the twins arent getting any younger

Was wondering the other day. Had we kept Bure & paid him what he felt he was worth, would our team have benefitted or started to plummet, as Wash is doing now ?

Going back to the Linden trading, one could argue Keenan was instrumental in acquiring the necessary pieces, to set up a proper rebuild. Even if Bure were happy here, I don't think it would have worked out as well(nor would we have the superb team we do today), had Bure remained through the Burke yrs.

Comparing our late 90's implosion, with Washington's current descent(apt I believe, in '94 we had our run; a few yrs prior Caps were powerhouse too), I believe it's sometimes wise to deal a couple huge stars to rebound quickly.