The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Capitals may try to trade Ovechkin

Looks like he's just speculating.

From Cuthbert's Twitter:

Won't throw a bunch of names out but have to think #Caps and a few other #NHL teams will have internal discussions re Ovechkin #intriguing

Apparently few think Ovechkin, once considered the #NHL's best player, can rediscover his game at age 27. Anybody? #freshstart

Pondered 2 questions while shoveling for the last hr; why no snowblower? And is now the time for #Caps and Ovie to consider a trade? #NHL

Toronto's a team which could actually afford the risk. IF Washington's willing to throw in 2 more young pieces(eg:Wilson and a 1st).

The Leafs will be opening tonnes of Cap space over the coming few seasons. If OV bombed, they could amnesty him in summer 2014, or buyout a couple seasons later. By then Cap-limit will probably be stratospheric.

In that starving, voracious market, if they rebuilt a fast, powerful team, they'd recoup their losses within a few seasons.

Was wondering the other day. Had we kept Bure & paid him what he felt he was worth, would our team have benefitted or started to plummet, as Wash is doing now ?

Going back to the Linden trading, one could argue Keenan was instrumental in acquiring the necessary pieces, to set up a proper rebuild. Even if Bure were happy here, I don't think it would have worked out as well(nor would we have the superb team we do today), had Bure remained through the Burke yrs.

Comparing our late 90's implosion, with Washington's current descent(apt I believe, in '94 we had our run; a few yrs prior Caps were powerhouse too), I believe it's sometimes wise to deal a couple huge stars to rebound quickly.

Archived