The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Capitals may try to trade Ovechkin

You clearly haven't watched him play lately then. He looks lazy and disinterested the majority of time he played.

And yea, I would say his point totals dropping 40% over 2 seasons is pretty dramatic. We're talking about a player that was considered arguably the most dominant player in the world only a few seasons ago.

Why do you think this rumor is out there if his play wasn't fading. :lol:

I fail to see how the Leagues top goal scorer is considered trade bait at all. I don't think Washington's problem is Ovechkin, its thinking you can get anywhere in the playoffs with one Superstar(Forward), we have two and they also get shutdown come playoff time.

uhh do people forget he scored 21 goals in 20 games or something last season? Probably winning the Hart trophy again, won the Richard trophy again, plays physical and plays big minutes. Am I missing something?

Other than Lundqvist stoned him in the playoffs... but lets face it the Caps aren't the same team as the Rangers and the Rangers have Lundqvist.

He remains one fo the best players in the League, other than the Playoffs where he has yet to make his mark he is a formidable force in the League. Did he not just win the Rocket Richard Trophy ? I mean come on.

Washington management, coaches love him, love his play and he has become a more complete player over the past season. No way the Capitals move him lol.

He's exactly what they'd need in St. Louis to sell tickets and jerseys, but I'm not sure he'd be able to play under Hitchcock.

If he were traded to Detroit, he'd be good enough to keep them a playoff team for at least another 5 years. I don't think they've got the assets, though.

The Ottawa Senators have the assets and the cap space. They've also got a system that can work well for Alex Ovechkin. I see the Ottawa Senators as being the top contender to acquire Alex Ovechkin.

After Ottawa, the Dallas Stars are a pretty good fit with regards to asset and cap space.

If the Phoenix Coyotes find a new owner, I see there second biggest need being a huge offensive star. That's what Ovechkin is. They've got the assets and the cap space, all they need is the owner.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have the assets, cap space and a tremendous need for a superstar that can keep them competitive year after year. I don't see it as a good move after they traded a premium for Marian Gaborik (why'd they do that, again?)

The San Jose Sharks are a spectacular fit. Not quite enough cap space, but he'd be fantastic for their bottom line as they start to get younger.

Tampa Bay and Florida would be decent fits, but they're divisional rivals.

I believe the Boston Bruins or the Chicago Blackhawks will make a splash if they don't win the cup. Both teams are very unlikely choices to trade for him.

I see the Vancouver Canucks as a dark horse. If Washington agrees to take Luongo back, we buyout Booth, Ballard and send Burrows with Luongo, I see this as the bold move that Gillis has been looking for. A line with D. Sedin, H. Sedin and Ovechkin would be one of the most feared lines in NHL history. That move is obviously very unlikely because of the salary cap constraints that it would put on us, with approximately $8,500,000 in cap space to acquire a third line centre, a bottom pairing D, re-signing Tanev and two fourth liners.

he is not being traded and anyone who would not sell the farm for him is nuts.. Lu Edler jensen tanev and our 1st in a heartbeat.. but doubt WA even considers that.. Guy is Expensive, but there is a reason for that.. with Ovi you could have three legit scoring lines because you would not need as good of a center, plus ovi on the pp with the twins would be somthing else..

Dan Hank Kassian

Booth JS/Gaunce Ovi

Burrows Kesler Higgens

??? Gaunce/Lain/UFA ????

Thats three really good lines or

Dan Hank Burrow

Kassian Kesler Ovi

booth Gaunce/js Higgens

I like this better although i am a fan of a PF on twins line

Dan Hank Ovi

Kassian Kesler burrows

Booth JS/gaunce higgens