134 replies to this topic

#61 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

are all these people making Luongo for Ovechkin proposals actually serious and think that this even has a chance of happening? lol

#62 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

No.

yes

#63 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Can anyone imagine this:

PP #1:

Kesler-Sedin-Sedin
Ovechkin-Edler

Devastating.

With that PP unit I don't see how our powerplay wouldn't at least be 35%.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#64 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

i dont think he has been the same since the 2010 olympics

No proof... But doesn't someone have to wonder whether he took PEDs? Got clean for the Olympics and stayed clean to prove to himself he could still dominate without them?
I wouldn't blame him... I would actually commend him. This isn't based on anything but his career trajectory and the fact that he stopped producing as much after the Olympics. He could have grown up in a culture where PEDs were accepted, much as they were in Cycling and Baseball. I'm not stereotyping Russia even though it would be easy to do so.
And before someone tells me that steroids wouldn't help a hockey player... I don't necessarily mean steroids. There are things that make your reaction time, your endurance, your focus etc. better. I don't know what using hockey players take (and even though I hope it isn'trevelant it still happens) but it isn't necessarily steroids. Plus, how many players have had his mix of skill, size, speed and physicality?
If he took them as part of a culture and then cleaned himself up... Good for him.
There is no proof or real evidence that he took him, but we shouldn't be not allowed to talk about it. And we certain idealize hockey or turn a blind eye to the fact that it happens.
I wish him the best and if he is bought out (which doesn't happen) and doesn't go back to Russia (an attractive option) I would love him on the Canucks.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#65 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

They need a goalie and we need that star sniper.

If he fails in Van then buy him out the following season. Chump change for the the Aquillini's.

Throw in Booth and the salary will equal itself out.

Throw in a pick to balance the trade out (I personally think Lui and Booth is enough).

It's a gamble well worth taking. There is that chance OV will re kindle his career

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#66 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Like the GM of wsh said he can't afford a contract like luongo's but if van took Ovie's salary then WSH could afford it. .... ovie isn't really helping the team much anyways and they need better goaltending. Luongo would be the new "superstar" in wsh who puts the fans back in the seats (who knows maybe its time they need a change in face). so this does make sense. Only problem is i don't see MG paying 9 mill dollars a year to a russian. Who knows if Ovie would even want to play here. but maybe something like.

To van:
Ovie, Nuevirth (10.6 mill)

To WSH:
Luongo, Booth, Conditional pick 2013 (2nd if he gets 25 goals or lower or a first if he gets above 25 goals) (9.9 mill)

salaries pretty close WSH gets a new name for the fanchise and a top 6 LW to help ease the lose of ovie and a nice prospect in the deep draft.

#67 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Washington has a very young core, as well as some elite prospects on their way up. I don't think they're looking for a 33-year old goalie who's signed through 2021. They likely would want a goalie who will be in his prime during the same time that Alzner, Carlson, Backstrom, Johansson, Kuznetsov and Forsberg are in their primes. Holtby may be that guy. But if not, then I bet they'll be looking to replace him with another young goaltender.

The current Capitals team is different than the one that dominated during Ovechkin's reign as the league's best player. It's not as though their window is closing. They don't need to make a bold, risky move to try to catapult them back into contention.

#68 Creid

Creid

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

All of these proposals are a joke. No way will the Caps trade Ovi. They would be stupid to do so. And if they did every team in the league would be stupid not to try acquire him. You all are undervaluing him.

#69 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

All of these proposals are a joke. No way will the Caps trade Ovi. They would be stupid to do so. And if they did every team in the league would be stupid not to try acquire him. You all are undervaluing him.

They've been struggling for no apparent reason. Just like Ovi. It may be time to change the culture of the team, like Boston did when they traded Thornton.

#70 KelownaCanucksFan

KelownaCanucksFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

For the canucks to land ovi it would take Schneider, Booth, 1st round pick and a prospect (Jensen or Tanev)

Posted Image
Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the sig!

#71 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

For the canucks to land ovi it would take Schneider, Booth, 1st round pick and a prospect (Jensen or Tanev)

i'd do it.

Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#72 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

I wouldn't do it. What if Ovechkin keeps getting worse?
Booth is a 30 goal guy when healthy. Tanev has been one of our best d-men. Jensen is something we sorely lack - quality offensive prospects.

#73 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Caps won't be able to trade him. If he doesn't pick up his play by next season, the Caps will exercise amnesty buy out on him in 2014.
Posted Image

#74 Jinx_RK17

Jinx_RK17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Does anyone remember that NTC Luongo has and that very small list of teams he would wave it for?
Let's stop fantasizing. I think if we could shed Lou AND Ballards contracts for Ovi its actually a solid trade. With some tinkering inbetween obviously. We take on a bit more but if he can produce like he used to our offense is near unstoppable. Let's face it, Lous heading out rather we like it or not. I personally don't. Nothing we can do about it though, it's all hypothetical but if we could land Ovi for whatever trade it wouldn't be that bad compared to what most teams would offer for Lou. The good news for us is that he's unstoppable in net right now which raises the dollar signs for our return

#75 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Does anyone remember that NTC Luongo has and that very small list of teams he would wave it for?
Let's stop fantasizing. I think if we could shed Lou AND Ballards contracts for Ovi its actually a solid trade. With some tinkering inbetween obviously. We take on a bit more but if he can produce like he used to our offense is near unstoppable. Let's face it, Lous heading out rather we like it or not. I personally don't. Nothing we can do about it though, it's all hypothetical but if we could land Ovi for whatever trade it wouldn't be that bad compared to what most teams would offer for Lou. The good news for us is that he's unstoppable in net right now which raises the dollar signs for our return

Do you realize what that would mean for the cap structure? Guys like Higgins and Hansen would soon become unaffordable. And we don't have the organizational depth to replace vets with cheap youngsters. We would have a crappy bottom 6.

#76 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Caps won't be able to trade him. If he doesn't pick up his play by next season, the Caps will exercise amnesty buy out on him in 2014.

lol............

#77 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

he does the same thing every time: stands in the same spot waiting to shoot. teams have figured him out?

he is nowhere near worth what he is being paid, and his cap hit is ridiculous. He doesn't even get ice-time in the playoffs like he used to. What was it 12 minutes a game last year? Absolutely ridiculous.

now is this the coach's fault? maybe... or is he following the typical Russian pattern:
1. play unbelievably so that you get a great contract and everyone admires you.
2. play disinterested hockey for a bit
3. finally figure it out

he is definitely in stage 2. a player like him should be able to do what he wants even though every other team knows what he is trying to do. no one should be able to figure him out. so the only conclusion is the Russian Pattern disease. RPD. Once he is demoted a few more times for crappy play he might figure it out. Expect him to be 2/3 of what he once was consistently, starting say in a few years if he doesn't bolt back to Russia (where he sucked too?)

Players typically peak before 30 for pure goal scoring.. and he never had too much of anything else...

Edited by canucksnihilist, 09 February 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#78 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Like the GM of wsh said he can't afford a contract like luongo's but if van took Ovie's salary then WSH could afford it. .... ovie isn't really helping the team much anyways and they need better goaltending. Luongo would be the new "superstar" in wsh who puts the fans back in the seats (who knows maybe its time they need a change in face). so this does make sense. Only problem is i don't see MG paying 9 mill dollars a year to a russian. Who knows if Ovie would even want to play here. but maybe something like.

To van:
Ovie, Nuevirth (10.6 mill)

To WSH:
Luongo, Booth, Conditional pick 2013 (2nd if he gets 25 goals or lower or a first if he gets above 25 goals) (9.9 mill)

salaries pretty close WSH gets a new name for the fanchise and a top 6 LW to help ease the lose of ovie and a nice prospect in the deep draft.

I believe.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#79 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Anaheim would be a good fit. They need to go all-in this season for a few reasons:
  • They'are actually off to a great start
  • Show Perry and Getzlaf they're serious about winning a cup
  • Selanne won't be there forever
I'd do a package involving Bobby Ryan for Ovechkin. If Getzlaf and Perry leave, Anaheim still has a marketable star to put butts in the seats despite being so close to the Kings. Washington gets a very good replacement who should fit nicely with Backstrom on the 1st line.

Ovechkin-Getzlaf-Perry top line. Terrifying.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#80 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

I wouldn't want a 9million dollar player on our team unless his first name is Sidney and last name Crosby. Ovi needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask himself what he wants out of the NHL. There used to be so much hype surrounding him and Sid, and it's almost like as soon as Sid won Gold and a Stanley Cup, Ovi just gave up. The guy has no true heart for hockey, and he's proven that over and over again from juniors to now. Sorry, but there is no way I'd be happy to get him for giving up Lou, Jensen, etc etc. F$ck that noise!

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#81 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

lol @ Lu for Ovie, great let's take on an extra 4 million dollars in cap money

WAS
Luongo
Ballard
Raymond

VAN
Ovechkin
Green

#82 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Washington receives:

Luongo
Booth
Raymond
Ballard

Vancouver receives:

Ovechkin
Unnamed prospect/low pick
Posted Image

#83 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Washington receives:

Luongo
Booth
Raymond
Ballard

Vancouver receives:

Ovechkin
Unnamed prospect/low pick

Posted Image

Edited by Number14, 09 February 2013 - 03:28 PM.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#84 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

WAS
Luongo
Ballard
Raymond

VAN
Ovechkin
Green

Washington laughs.

Also, ever hear of the term 'salary cap'?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#85 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Remember that NHL teams can trade salary/keep some salary from trades with the new CBA. With a contract like Ovi's, I can imagine the recieving team wouldn't want the full cap hit.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#86 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I wouldn't do it. What if Ovechkin keeps getting worse?
Booth is a 30 goal guy when healthy. Tanev has been one of our best d-men. Jensen is something we sorely lack - quality offensive prospects.

No, Booth is a 23 goal guy when healthy. In his lone complete year he scored 23. He's also scored 22 in another year, and broke 30 once.

But of the previous 175 games, he's only played, what? 64 games? So "when healthy" seems like a silly point.

I wouldn't want the proposed trade, but I certainly think Booth is misspent salary, and his value seems heavily dependent on optimism rather than proven consistency.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#87 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Posted Image

I'll consider it Washington GM getting rid of all the vitriol trials and tribulations he had from keeping Ovechkin in his team. :)
Posted Image

#88 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'll consider it Washington GM getting rid of all the vitriol trials and tribulations he had from keeping Ovechkin in his team. :)

If that's the Washingon GM and this trade happens, we're the toilet.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#89 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

wow I can't believe everyone loves ovi...

he is the next Lecalvier... overpaid and underperforming... with potential...

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see him dominate. He was like Bure, only better. But while Bure went down with a knee but still gave it all (with a season or 2 of tentative recovery in there) ovi is ???? wtf is really up with him anyways?

why would you really want ovi? It can't be his play the last 2 seasons... and for 10m? ?? really? If he was still putting up 40 or 50 goals per year, then yes.... but he's no Mike Bossy... (not enough determination? heart?) ??

Edited by canucksnihilist, 09 February 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#90 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

wow I can't believe everyone loves ovi...

he is the next Lecalvier... overpaid and underperforming... with potential...

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see him dominate. He was like Bure, only better. But while Bure went down with a knee but still gave it all (with a season or 2 of tentative recovery in there) ovi is ???? wtf is really up with him anyways?

why would you really want ovi? It can't be his play the last 2 seasons... and for 10m? ?? really? If he was still putting up 40 or 50 goals per year, then yes.... but he's no Mike Bossy... (not enough determination? heart?) ??

And I can't believe some people wouldn't jump at the chance at getting Alexander Ovechkin. The guys scored 60+ goals before for crying out loud. If GMGM calls up Gillis and offers Ovechkin for a Luongo package along the lines of Luongo, Higgins, Raymond and a 1st he would be dumb to not accept it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.