The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks taking closer look at Western Canada prospects

canuck_trevor16

ST PAUL, Minn - The most significant restructuring of the Vancouver Canucks' amateur scouting department since Mike Gillis became general manager 4½ years ago has the National Hockey League team committing itself to more thorough scouting in Western Canada.

The team has been criticized in recent years for not drafting more players from British Columbia and the Western Hockey League. The shakeup in the scouting department, unnoticed outside the organization when it occurred last summer, saw chief scout Ron Delorme redeployed to Western Canada and an expansion of duties for director of player personnel Eric Crawford.

Crawford now manages both pro and amateur scouting. He has assumed some of the administrative duties previously handled by Delorme, who replaced Harold Snepsts as the main regional scout in the west. Snepsts now works with senior adviser Stan Smyl scouting and recruiting undrafted players from college and junior leagues.

The restructuring was overseen by assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, whose staff of 16 amateur and five pro scouts is one of the NHL's largest.

“This is absolutely not a demotion for Ron Delorme,” Gilman said before Thursday's Canuck game against the Minnesota Wild. “Far from it. Not only is he still our chief scout, but we're putting our best scout back in a region where we need to do better.

“We felt we had been systemically undervaluing players in the western region. The moves that were made were not done specifically to draft more players from the west. It was done after an analysis of where players (to the NHL) were coming from and where we were devoting our resources. We felt we needed to improve our coverage in the west. It is our backyard, but it's also a very big yard and we needed to scout it more efficiently.”

The Canucks drafted Surrey winger Prab Rai from the Seattle Thunderbirds in 2008 – the first draft for Gillis and Gilman – and did not chose another player from B.C. until they called the name of Victoria's Wesley Myron in the sixth round last June.

The team hasn't drafted a WHL player since 2008. Gilman said the Canucks have also bolstered their scouting in Ontario, repositioned associate chief scout Thomas Gradin to oversee Europe, and have established a chain of command for amateur scouting that includes regional chiefs.

Crawford, who worked his way through pro scouting to Canuck management, is being assisted by career amateur scout Ted Hampson.

“We felt on the pro side of things, the structure we had was working well,” Crawford said. “We wanted to establish the same type of structure on the amateur side. It's a challenge, for sure. You're talking about over 2,000 (professional and amateur) players around the world that we need to have knowledge of.”

Crawford reiterated Gilman's position that the aim isn't specifically to draft more players from Western Canada or Ontario. But he said successful organizations retain the good players they develop, and if the Canucks have players from the west it is more likely they will want to stay with the team.

The 20-player lineup the Canucks used against the Wild included three B.C. players, Jason Garrison, Dan Hamhuis and Aaron Volpatti – all acquired as free agents.

KASSASTER: Former Vancouver Giants' junior Matt Kassian appears to be at a dead end with his NHL career in Minnesota. The enforcer, a second-round pick of the Wild in 2005, has been a healthy scratch every game this season. And when Minnesota coach Mike Yeo decided he needed more toughness, the team traded this week for New York Ranger heavyweight Michael Rupp.

“My job as a pro is to be a good teammate and come to the rink every day with a good attitude,” Kassian said Thursday morning. “You have to kind of check your brain at the door a little bit and just kind of go in and enjoy what you do. There are a lot worse situations in life to be in."

At least Kassian has his nickname protected. The 26-year-old has legally trademarked the name "Kassassin" in the U.S. and Canada, which means Canuck Zack Kassian will have to call himself something else. Or he could buy the name rights.

“No, I wouldn't consider selling,” Matt said. “When you have a nickname, (trademarking) is a smart thing to do if you ever want to do self-branding or product stuff or run a website. I have lawyer in the family, so counsel is free."

WILD SPENDING: They say you can't teach scoring. But in the NHL, you're supposed to be able to purchase it. Maybe $196 million just doesn't buy what it used to.

After signing coveted unrestricted free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to identical 13-year, $98-million contracts, the Wild have started slowly and still can't score goals. Their average of 2.22 per game before Thursday was 25th in the NHL.

Parise did his part with six goals and 10 points in the first nine game, but Suter was still looking for his first goal and the star blueliner lugged a ghastly minus-seven rating into the game against Vancouver.

“We know we have to be the best players,” Suter said. “The fans here are very passionate. I don't know how patient they are, and hopefully we won't have to test that out. I feel like I've got to be better, obviously, but I don't think that (plus/minus) is a reflection of how I'm playing. It's sad to have that number this early in the year but hopefully we'll get out of that.”

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+taking+closer+look+Western+Canada+prospects/7935118/story.html#ixzz2KMtxY9yU

A lot of really good players in the WHL right now.

Heres all the whl players who are eligble for the 2013 NHL entry draft:

http://www.topnhlprospects.com/whl-players-eligible-for-the-2013-nhl-entry-draft/

A lot of under rated talent in the BC division, particularly from the Kelowna Rockets and Kamloops Blazers. Portland also has a solid team right now, might be worth sending some scouts out to the playoffs (when the best WHL hockey is played)

Good to hear that they're starting to scout in our back yard. Some players I'm interested in if we do draft out West:

Morgan Klimchuk ( C) WHL: He's a dynamic scoring forward, currently point per game with the Pats. He's a bit undersized at 5'11" 180. He skates like the wind and registered the fastest time for the 147 foot speed test.

Jackson Houck (RW) WHL: You may recognize him from the Vancouver Giants. His stock has dropped since the early rankings, as the Giants have struggled this season and top scorer Tvrdon has been out, Houck has been without a consistent linemate. He's only got 45 points in 53 games, but is easily the most noticeable player on a depleted Giants team. He plays a physical game as well, never afraid to throw the big hit or get into a fight.

Madison Bowey (D) WHL: He's your typical Kelowna Rockets stud D-man, he plays all kinds of minutes while putting up a +32. He has a physical side to his game, doesn't back down from fighting. He could go in the late 1st, early 2nd round at this years draft.

Players that could go in the later rounds:

Alex Forsberg ( C) WHL/SJHL: His stock has plummeted since demanding a trade from the Cougars, and thus being reassigned to the Saskatchewan junior league. He's a dynamic forward, and can put up the points when utilized in an offensive role. A bit undersized at 5'11" 185.

Mason Geertsen (D) WHL: 6'4" 205 lbs at 17! He's being used for 25+ minutes on the Giants blueline. Due to the Giants' struggles his +/- isn't great. He's a physical D-man with a bit of a meanstreak. Could be a steal with a late round pick.

Shane Hanna (D) BCHL: Point per game defenseman for Salmon Arm. He's a 94' birthyear, but he's committed to Michigan State for next year, and should be apart of a good hockey program.

I'd be happy with any one of these picks to meet our Western quota.

Mason Geertsen (D) WHL: 6'4" 205 lbs at 17! He's being used for 25+ minutes on the Giants blueline. Due to the Giants' struggles his +/- isn't great. He's a physical D-man with a bit of a meanstreak. Could be a steal with a late round pick.

I'd be happy with any one of these picks to meet our Western quota.

Archived