The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks taking closer look at Western Canada prospects

canuck_trevor16

Honestly some the best news I've heard out of the organization for a long time.

Though, it would have been fantastic had we adopted this policy, oh, say somewhere around 2006, and not passed up on a certain Vancouver born forward and Giants' Memorial Cup MVP who goes by the name Milan...

That may just be one of the worst moves the Canucks have ever made.

Brothers or not, I wouldn't mind seeing Matt Kassian as a depth guy on the Canucks roster (that's if we can get him for next to nothing - i.e., off of waivers)...granted that the role of one-dimensional players are going the way of the do-do bird, it would be good to have a bonafide pugilist as an option.

Who knows? He could be a project worth taking a chance on if he were available. We have a history of taking guys like Odjick and Brashear and having them improve their skill sets, so maybe, just maybe, lightning can strike again.

Am I the only one who finds it annoying that in spite of W. Canada and BC in particular being a hotbed for hockey talent we are only getting round to this now? Strange to be complimenting the organisation for doing the obvious and indeed what should obviously have been done 4 years ago.

how is this even news? we're taking closer looks at players from the whl? Are you effing kidding me? We spend the most out of nhl teams on our scouting we had better damned well be scouting WHL players. This article just confirms what a joke our scouting was/ and in many ways still is.

We haven't drafted any lately, but historically we haven't been all that bad at drafting westerners.

Including some of the best ever. Hello, Cam Neely and Trevor Linden?

The trick in the past has been keeping these guys around. That involves more than just the hometown factor.

The other angle is that certain players don't even like hometown pressure.

The other other angle is that the new western guy is Ron Delorme. So, um, yeah.

Overall, you have to get the best guys, no matter where they're from.

Yeah the Canucks scouting has really hurt us. Look at our lineup right now at all the drafting failures:

Hansen, Raymond, Schroeder, D Sedin, H Sedin, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler. EDIT and Schneider (thanks Ossi)

Lets look at some of our prospects:

Jensen, Gaunce, Suave, Archibald, Sweatt, Beattie, Friesen, Rai, Lack, Cannata, Andersson, Connauton, Corrado, McNally, Price.

And thats just the tip of the iceberg. For a ream that has finished high up in the picks so far for the last few years, I like our prospect pool better then any other teams.

And don't forget those prospects Kassian and Tanev who were brought to the attention of the nucks by the scouts. Did you know Tanev wasn't even drafted even though he is arguably our best Defensemen right now?

And also for fun we have on our roster 14 Canadians. 3 from BC, 2 from Alberta, 3 from Quebec, 4 from Ontario, and 2 Manitoba boys. We also have 7 Americans, 3 Sweedes and a Dane in a pear tree.

Yeah the Canucks scouting has really hurt us. Look at our lineup right now at all the drafting failures:

Hansen, Raymond, Schroeder, D Sedin, H Sedin, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler.

Lets look at some of our prospects:

Jensen, Gaunce, Suave, Archibald, Sweatt, Beattie, Friesen, Rai, Lack, Cannata, Andersson, Connauton, Corrado, McNally, Price.

And thats just the tip of the iceberg. For a ream that has finished high up in the picks so far for the last few years, I like our prospect pool better then any other teams.

And don't forget those prospects Kassian and Tanev who were brought to the attention of the nucks by the scouts. Did you know Tanev wasn't even drafted even though he is arguably our best Defensemen right now?

And also for fun we have on our roster 14 Canadians. 3 from BC, 2 from Alberta, 3 from Quebec, 4 from Ontario, and 2 Manitoba boys. We also have 7 Americans, 3 Sweedes and a Dane in a pear tree.

Archived