Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks taking closer look at Western Canada prospects

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#31 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

how is this even news? we're taking closer looks at players from the whl? Are you effing kidding me? We spend the most out of nhl teams on our scouting we had better damned well be scouting WHL players. This article just confirms what a joke our scouting was/ and in many ways still is.

Luongo-Userbar.gif
14vmxhf.jpg

#32 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Am I the only one who finds it annoying that in spite of W. Canada and BC in particular being a hotbed for hockey talent we are only getting round to this now? Strange to be complimenting the organisation for doing the obvious and indeed what should obviously have been done 4 years ago.

Shameful, really. Unforgiveable. Brendan Gallagher is the latest guy that the Canucks apparently did not know existed, despite playing for the Vancouver Giants.

I wonder how many meetings it took for Gillis and Gilman to realize that they might need a presence in the west. Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it.

#33 tigerwilliams for pm

tigerwilliams for pm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'm glad to here that. I have always wondered why all this great home town tallent seems to land everywhere else.

#34 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Meh, doesn't matter. As long as AV is here, they won't play

What a moronic statement. Why should a younger undertalented player play while there is better professional talent available in the cap space we have? There are a lot of these posts on CDC, and I get the impression that as long as we played your favourite prospect irregardless of the outcome, you would be happy.

Ok, from a more intelectual viewpoint, suggest a prospect that we have who would play better than anyone of the players playing on the team now? Intelligently by the way, not the idea of replacing Aaron Volpatti with Nicklas Jensen, but a genuine suggestion.

Should Sauve replace Tanev or Ballard or Garrison? Would you have been happier playing Connauton and Sauve instead of signing Hamhuis and Garrison, and if we did, what do you think our record would be right now?

I await you precious insight. (But I'm not holding my breath)

Edited by WL Canuck Fan, 09 February 2013 - 12:53 PM.

Sig too big.

#35 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Matt and Zack aren't brothers

No, of course not! They're married. lol

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#36 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Long overdue. It still bothers me that we passed over homegrown talent like Milan Lucic.

#37 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,136 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

So... Beach instead of Coho?

Beach might be an AHL 4th liner at the moment, but he'd still be in the organization.
Posted Image

#38 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,136 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

We haven't drafted any lately, but historically we haven't been all that bad at drafting westerners.

Including some of the best ever. Hello, Cam Neely and Trevor Linden?

The trick in the past has been keeping these guys around. That involves more than just the hometown factor.

The other angle is that certain players don't even like hometown pressure.

The other other angle is that the new western guy is Ron Delorme. So, um, yeah.

Overall, you have to get the best guys, no matter where they're from.
Posted Image

#39 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Yeah the Canucks scouting has really hurt us. Look at our lineup right now at all the drafting failures:

Hansen, Raymond, Schroeder, D Sedin, H Sedin, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler. EDIT and Schneider (thanks Ossi)

Lets look at some of our prospects:

Jensen, Gaunce, Suave, Archibald, Sweatt, Beattie, Friesen, Rai, Lack, Cannata, Andersson, Connauton, Corrado, McNally, Price.

And thats just the tip of the iceberg. For a ream that has finished high up in the picks so far for the last few years, I like our prospect pool better then any other teams.

And don't forget those prospects Kassian and Tanev who were brought to the attention of the nucks by the scouts. Did you know Tanev wasn't even drafted even though he is arguably our best Defensemen right now?

And also for fun we have on our roster 14 Canadians. 3 from BC, 2 from Alberta, 3 from Quebec, 4 from Ontario, and 2 Manitoba boys. We also have 7 Americans, 3 Sweedes and a Dane in a pear tree.

Edited by Kassian's Face, 09 February 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#40 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yeah the Canucks scouting has really hurt us. Look at our lineup right now at all the drafting failures:

Hansen, Raymond, Schroeder, D Sedin, H Sedin, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler.

Jensen, Gaunce, Suave, Archibald, Sweatt, Beattie, Friesen, Rai, Lack, Cannata, Andersson, Connauton, Corrado, McNally, Price.

And thats just the tip of the iceberg. For a ream that has finished high up in the picks so far for the last few years, I like our prospect pool better then any other teams.

And don't forget those prospects Kassian and Tanev who were brought to the attention of the nucks by the scouts. Did you know Tanev wasn't even drafted even though he is arguably our best Defensemen right now?

And also for fun we have on our roster 14 Canadians. 3 from BC, 2 from Alberta, 3 from Quebec, 4 from Ontario, and 2 Manitoba boys. We also have 7 Americans, 3 Sweedes and a Dane in a pear tree.

You forgot Schneider was a Canucks 1st rounder.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#41 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

You forgot Schneider was a Canucks 1st rounder.

LOL we got so many prospects that I forget one of our best draft accomplishments, thanks for the reminder.

#42 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

I think you better do some more research because as someone else has already mentioned, Zack and Matt aren't brothers.

The Kassassin and Smashin both on the same line. Old time hockey just like the Hanson Bros!

#43 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,943 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Why are people proposing to get Matt Kassian?

The guy is literally a plug to our roster.

Sure the guy may have a good attitude and stuff, but he's not a points producer or an "energy guy". I think the third and fourth line might need some re-assembling but M. Kassian won't be useful.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#44 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hansen, Raymond, Schroeder, D Sedin, H Sedin, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler. EDIT and Schneider (thanks Ossi)

"You like our prospect pool better then any other teams"??? Wow, have you even seen some of the other teams prospect pools? It's one thing to be a fan and be positive about the future but it's a totally different thing to live with your head in the clouds. A good portion of those guys you mentioned were later round draft picks and the percentage of those guys making it and sticking are VERY slim. Again, it's great to be a fan but you have to be realistic too and take off the homer glasses because the reality is, the Canucks prospect pool is in the bottom of the league and that's partially because they've finished in the top of the league for an extended period of time and partially because their scouting has been less than mediocre the last few years.

I agree with what some others have said, what in the hell has taken so long for the Canucks to put more effort into scouting in the West? There's no excuses for them to only be getting around to this now.

#45 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

About time. Remember Jamie Benn was a 5th round draft choice playing right under their nose. Not only should they be scouting locally with paid employees they should have relationships with local coaches and former players that live in the area and talk to them from time to time to see if they are aware of local undervalued prospects.

#46 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Plus one fer a fine post!

Relationships teach which tracks to follow...

About time. Remember Jamie Benn was a 5th round draft choice playing right under their nose. Not only should they be scouting locally with paid employees they should have relationships with local coaches and former players that live in the area and talk to them from time to time to see if they are aware of local undervalued prospects.

#47 NexusRift

NexusRift

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

What's the deal with trademarking a nickname??!?!?!?? Is he planning to market a line of KASSASSIN hockey gear or snowboards?
Well, maybe that's the reason. The only hockey related trademark I can think of with a players name is Tim Horton.

I know i'm totally off topic, but someone else went off first and a bunch followed.....Back to it.

Western Canadian players? Seems like a good route to take. i'm sure some of these players like the idea of being at or close to home. That being said, the NHL attracts an international audience.

Needless to say, some of the past best player prospects that have achieved greatness in the NHL are from somewhere else. In fact, I believe such players, past and present in the Canucks belong to the, "somewhere else" category.

It seems a sound idea, but they shouldn't concentrate on it. I'm sure they're keeping their options open.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.