Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who is the next defensive prospect closest to being ready for the big club?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of the following defensive prospect is next to stick with the big club? (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following defensive prospect is next to stick with the big club?

1. Yann Sauve (9 votes [8.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.26%

2. Frank Corrado (46 votes [42.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.20%

3. Kevin Connauton (47 votes [43.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.12%

4. Patrick McNally (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Peter Andersson (7 votes [6.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Seeing that Tanev is up with the big club for good (fingers crossed). Who is next in line on the depth chart?

Edited by rb4u, 09 February 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#2 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

It's hard to tell as of yet due to them being in different leagues, but I think despite his age, Corrado has the best chance of making the team next. For a few key reasons:
- Our limited number of RH D.
- His exponential growth over the last season and a half.
- The obvious praise he has received from everyone who has watched/coached/played with him.
- His earlier captaincy of the Wolves (Gilly loves leaders.)
- His two way play (More Kevin Bieksa than Alex Edler) fits AVs style.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#3 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I voted Connauton but at this point I would have to go with Peter Andersson. He has shot up the depth chart. 7 points in 28 games, +4. Good size and strength, plays a simple and reliable game. He is improving at a steady rate as well, vs Connauton who seems to have taken a few steps back.
Sig too big.

#4 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

I am surprised that there hasn't be a vote for Sauve? Seemed not to long ago that he was our best shutdown defensive prospect, but he seems to have dropped off the depth chart after his car accident @ training camp a few years ago...

Edited by rb4u, 09 February 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#5 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I voted Connauton but at this point I would have to go with Peter Andersson. He has shot up the depth chart. 7 points in 28 games, +4. Good size and strength, plays a simple and reliable game. He is improving at a steady rate as well, vs Connauton who seems to have taken a few steps back.

Anderson for sure. He has the brain to play at the next level and the poise. The sedins were impressed with him and they have played with some great D men in their time... Corrado has the highest ceiling, but I think Anderson will beat him to the punch just based on our coaching style :)
linden Vey Sig

#6 LoganBattleaxe

LoganBattleaxe

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Corrado for sure. He is the most complete defenseman in our system. Connauton was a one trick pony but now he has worked so hard at a second trick he has forgotten his first.
Don't get me wrong Corrado is at least a year away from pushing for the team but you will all cream yourselves when he kicks butt in the ahl.

#7 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Pending multiple injuries on our blue line (I hope I haven't jinxed it), we won't see any potential of this until next year. That being said, I see the valid arguments for both Anderson and Corrado, but I just got this feeling Connauton will get the first shot, albeit limited. If the power play continues to struggle overall (last game it was good), he may get a look see on the 2nd unit.

#8 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Good thread. I like all of them, but I think Corrado's work ethic will bring him up first.

#9 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm split between Carrado and K-Conn.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#10 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Key word for me is stick. I think Connauton and Andersson will help fill some gaps if they are still around but I think Corrado will surpass them to become a full-time Canuck member before they do (hopefully about 2 years from now).
Posted Image

#11 LOL_dre

LOL_dre

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I am surprised that there hasn't be a vote for Sauve? Seemed not to long ago that he was our best shutdown defensive prospect, but he seems to have dropped off the depth chart after his car accident @ training camp a few years ago...

He's been sent down to the ECHL, this year so he's definitely not progressing as well as many Canuck fans would like.

#12 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'd guess that Corrado emerges as the top d prospect, but I wouldn't be surprised to see ripples in the prospect pool.

My longshot would be Petrovic :bigblush:

#13 icycold

icycold

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

My favorite still is Sauve' i always liked him and his hard nosed style, i'm not sure what happened after the accident but from what ive heard he dropped a step after it but hopefully he will get it back, i know it takes time after being in an accident from experience but lets hope and pray that it doesn't affect his personal life too badly. and he gets back on track.

Edited by icycold, 09 February 2013 - 11:23 AM.

HABS SUCK!!!

#14 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Sauve has been 'demoted' to Kalamazoo of the ECHL - he'll probably have to make the Wolves before he can get himself in position to make the Canucks.
I thought he looked very good in his callups - and I thought he was on the comeback, but it looks like this season has been a setback.

Edited by oldnews, 09 February 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#15 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Stuck between K-Conn, Andersson, and Corrado.

I thought Connauton would be the obvious choice last year to be next in line, but this year under Arniel he seems to have taken a step back. I still think he has the ability, but may need more seasoning.

Andersson seems to be impressing in the AHL, and had a good training camp, but I haven't seen him play yet, so I can't say one way or the other. He does seem to have NHL level size and smarts though.

I really like Corrado. He's a defensively responsible RHD. AV probably loves the kid. I'd say he needs at least one AHL year before he makes the jump.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#16 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,000 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

It's close between Connauton and Corrado but voted for Kevin Connauton.

307mg00.jpg

#17 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,966 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

K-Con and it's not close. Not sure why people are writing him off at this point based on Wolves stats (ahem, Kassian?), but if he's the clearcut defensive leader on an AHL team and gets the hardest minutes while not backing down a second, that means he's good.

He's quick, big, mean, and has a bullet of a shot. The only thing left is the defensive positioning, which he has improved on by leaps and bounds.

Corrado is still a sweet prospect, but he's still got to gain more experience, while K-Con is right at the doorstep.
Posted Image

#18 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Problem for K-Conn is Hamhius, Garrison/Edler, Ballard... where will/would he fit? If a spot opens on the left side due to injury, won't it be filled by one of the other four top four lefties we have? And then there's Alberts...

But I agree with TOML in the sense that K-Conn's numbers probably don't tell the story - he's got a nice skillset to make the jump - but I think Corrado has the long term edge being a right side guy.

Edited by oldnews, 09 February 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#19 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

The thing is that all our D-men, apart from Tanev, are making $4 million or more...

#20 forklift_ole

forklift_ole

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Connauton is probably the next guy to find a roster spot, but I really like McNally (28 points in his rookie year) and I think he will get some attention once he goes pro.

#21 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

The thing is that all our D-men, apart from Tanev, are making $4 million or more...

Part of why I started the thread is that with the lowering cap, I have a hard time thinking we can afford $22.9 million for 5 DMan (Bieksa 4.6, Edler 5, Hamuis 4.5, Garrision 4.6 & Ballard 4.2) next season. Tanev is RFA next year and will be looking at a 1.5- 2+ million cap hit if he keeps improving. Logic will dictate that Ballard would probably end up being trade bait in the off season, which would mean either another cheap UFA pickup or giving one of the youngsters a shot.

http://stats.nhlnumb...s/VAN?year=2013

Edited by rb4u, 09 February 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#22 OntarioCanucker

OntarioCanucker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Wasn't Sauve sent down to the zoo for conditioning? I thought I read he was injured early in the year.

My vote goes to K-Nauts, but I'm really rooting hard for Corrado.

Put him on the Burrows diet for a couple years and hee haw.

#23 Mr. Ramsay

Mr. Ramsay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Lots of people say Connauton and Corrado but I believe Sauve will make the jump first.

Posted Image

#24 Kruger

Kruger

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Haven't seen any Wolves game this year, but from what I've heard Andersson sounds like the most NHL ready at this point. K-Conn is still a struggling defensively and Corrado needs more games for the Wolves. I guess its because Andersson is more of a safe choice rather than the other two

tumblr_my479bEk4K1qcga5ro1_500.gif

#25 Crowfro

Crowfro

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

I think Corrado has a very good chance of making the team next year with the Salary cap going down to 64 million. Most likely Ballard will have to be bought out or traded. They will need a cheap D man to replace him and Corrado's $500 000 salary could be a godsend. Also, Edler on the Right side is not the best way to go. He plays better on the left side. They will have to move Tanev up to play with Edler I think. That leaves Hamhuis-Bieksa and you put Corrado with Garrison to create 3 good pairings.

#26 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Cap hits for 2013-2014

Corrado - 600K
Andersson - 870K
Connauton - RFA (900K 2012-2013 cap hit)
Sauve - RFA (875K 2012-2013 cap hit)

#27 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Corrado

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#28 fanfor42

fanfor42

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Connaughton

Compare him with Bieksa:

Bieksa drafted 5th round age 20. First played for Camucks age 24.
6'1" 198 lbs.

Connaughton drafted 3rd round age 19. Currently age 23. Will be 24 start of 2014/2015 season.
6'2" 198 lbs.

Give him a year and a half and he's the next one. Might be ready next year.

#29 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'm surprised anyone thinks Cannauton will make it. He's got the worst plus minus on the Wolves (an honor he's had throughout his AHL career) and only three goals. I'm baffled by what people imagine they see in him.

#30 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Jim Vandermeer

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.