Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rb4u

Who is the next defensive prospect closest to being ready for the big club?

Which of the following defensive prospect is next to stick with the big club?    109 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following defensive prospect is next to stick with the big club?

• Yann Sauve
    • Frank Corrado
    • Kevin Connauton
    • Patrick McNally
    • Peter Andersson

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 posts in this topic

Seeing that Tanev is up with the big club for good (fingers crossed). Who is next in line on the depth chart?

It's hard to tell as of yet due to them being in different leagues, but I think despite his age, Corrado has the best chance of making the team next. For a few key reasons:

- Our limited number of RH D.

- His exponential growth over the last season and a half.

- The obvious praise he has received from everyone who has watched/coached/played with him.

- His earlier captaincy of the Wolves (Gilly loves leaders.)

- His two way play (More Kevin Bieksa than Alex Edler) fits AVs style.

I voted Connauton but at this point I would have to go with Peter Andersson. He has shot up the depth chart. 7 points in 28 games, +4. Good size and strength, plays a simple and reliable game. He is improving at a steady rate as well, vs Connauton who seems to have taken a few steps back.

I am surprised that there hasn't be a vote for Sauve? Seemed not to long ago that he was our best shutdown defensive prospect, but he seems to have dropped off the depth chart after his car accident @ training camp a few years ago...

I voted Connauton but at this point I would have to go with Peter Andersson. He has shot up the depth chart. 7 points in 28 games, +4. Good size and strength, plays a simple and reliable game. He is improving at a steady rate as well, vs Connauton who seems to have taken a few steps back.

Corrado for sure. He is the most complete defenseman in our system. Connauton was a one trick pony but now he has worked so hard at a second trick he has forgotten his first.

Don't get me wrong Corrado is at least a year away from pushing for the team but you will all cream yourselves when he kicks butt in the ahl.

Pending multiple injuries on our blue line (I hope I haven't jinxed it), we won't see any potential of this until next year. That being said, I see the valid arguments for both Anderson and Corrado, but I just got this feeling Connauton will get the first shot, albeit limited. If the power play continues to struggle overall (last game it was good), he may get a look see on the 2nd unit.

Good thread. I like all of them, but I think Corrado's work ethic will bring him up first.

Key word for me is stick. I think Connauton and Andersson will help fill some gaps if they are still around but I think Corrado will surpass them to become a full-time Canuck member before they do (hopefully about 2 years from now).

I am surprised that there hasn't be a vote for Sauve? Seemed not to long ago that he was our best shutdown defensive prospect, but he seems to have dropped off the depth chart after his car accident @ training camp a few years ago...

I'd guess that Corrado emerges as the top d prospect, but I wouldn't be surprised to see ripples in the prospect pool.

My longshot would be Petrovic :bigblush:

My favorite still is Sauve' i always liked him and his hard nosed style, i'm not sure what happened after the accident but from what ive heard he dropped a step after it but hopefully he will get it back, i know it takes time after being in an accident from experience but lets hope and pray that it doesn't affect his personal life too badly. and he gets back on track.

Sauve has been 'demoted' to Kalamazoo of the ECHL - he'll probably have to make the Wolves before he can get himself in position to make the Canucks.

I thought he looked very good in his callups - and I thought he was on the comeback, but it looks like this season has been a setback.

Stuck between K-Conn, Andersson, and Corrado.

I thought Connauton would be the obvious choice last year to be next in line, but this year under Arniel he seems to have taken a step back. I still think he has the ability, but may need more seasoning.

Andersson seems to be impressing in the AHL, and had a good training camp, but I haven't seen him play yet, so I can't say one way or the other. He does seem to have NHL level size and smarts though.

I really like Corrado. He's a defensively responsible RHD. AV probably loves the kid. I'd say he needs at least one AHL year before he makes the jump.

It's close between Connauton and Corrado but voted for Kevin Connauton.

K-Con and it's not close. Not sure why people are writing him off at this point based on Wolves stats (ahem, Kassian?), but if he's the clearcut defensive leader on an AHL team and gets the hardest minutes while not backing down a second, that means he's good.

He's quick, big, mean, and has a bullet of a shot. The only thing left is the defensive positioning, which he has improved on by leaps and bounds.

Corrado is still a sweet prospect, but he's still got to gain more experience, while K-Con is right at the doorstep.

Problem for K-Conn is Hamhius, Garrison/Edler, Ballard... where will/would he fit? If a spot opens on the left side due to injury, won't it be filled by one of the other four top four lefties we have? And then there's Alberts...

But I agree with TOML in the sense that K-Conn's numbers probably don't tell the story - he's got a nice skillset to make the jump - but I think Corrado has the long term edge being a right side guy.

The thing is that all our D-men, apart from Tanev, are making $4 million or more...

Connauton is probably the next guy to find a roster spot, but I really like McNally (28 points in his rookie year) and I think he will get some attention once he goes pro.