The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is the next defensive prospect closest to being ready for the big club?

rb4u

Which of the following defensive prospect is next to stick with the big club?   

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Haven't seen any Wolves game this year, but from what I've heard Andersson sounds like the most NHL ready at this point. K-Conn is still a struggling defensively and Corrado needs more games for the Wolves. I guess its because Andersson is more of a safe choice rather than the other two

I think Corrado has a very good chance of making the team next year with the Salary cap going down to 64 million. Most likely Ballard will have to be bought out or traded. They will need a cheap D man to replace him and Corrado's $500 000 salary could be a godsend. Also, Edler on the Right side is not the best way to go. He plays better on the left side. They will have to move Tanev up to play with Edler I think. That leaves Hamhuis-Bieksa and you put Corrado with Garrison to create 3 good pairings.

Connaughton

Compare him with Bieksa:

Bieksa drafted 5th round age 20. First played for Camucks age 24.

6'1" 198 lbs.

Connaughton drafted 3rd round age 19. Currently age 23. Will be 24 start of 2014/2015 season.

6'2" 198 lbs.

Give him a year and a half and he's the next one. Might be ready next year.

Corrado is still 19 and still playing junior. He's played 4 reg season games in the AHL

Andersson is 21 and playing in Sweden. He has zero AHL experience and isn't even playing in the top swedish league.

Both are decent prospects but neither is as close as Connauton to making the jump to the NHL.

Yes, but the question was who would "stick" next.

KNot will get some games in first no doubt, likely Anderson as well. But with our Top 5 signed for years and Tanev being restricted K Not will likely be trade bait. And then we wait for Corrado, who has a higher ceiling, to mature into a place where he comes into the roster when Ballard's contract expires.

K-Con and it's not close. Not sure why people are writing him off at this point based on Wolves stats (ahem, Kassian?), but if he's the clearcut defensive leader on an AHL team and gets the hardest minutes while not backing down a second, that means he's good.

He's quick, big, mean, and has a bullet of a shot. The only thing left is the defensive positioning, which he has improved on by leaps and bounds.

Corrado is still a sweet prospect, but he's still got to gain more experience, while K-Con is right at the doorstep.

Ahem;

Andersson has been playing for the Wolves, and playing well, all year. :sick:

Corrado is still 19 and still playing junior. He's played 4 reg season games in the AHL

Andersson is 21 and playing in Sweden. He has zero AHL experience and isn't even playing in the top swedish league.

Both are decent prospects but neither is as close as Connauton to making the jump to the NHL.

Sauve.

This team needs a mature puck mover,not a defensive liability.

Yann Sauve hopes rehab stint with Kalamazoo Wings leads back to NHL

By Pam Shebest | Special to the Kalamazoo Gazette

on February 04, 2013 at 9:53 PM, updated February 05, 2013 at 6:59 AM Yann Sauve

KALAMAZOO — Yann Sauve has had a taste of playing in the National Hockey League with the Vancouver Canucks, and his path back there has taken a side trip through Kalamazoo.

The defenseman started this season with the AHL’s Chicago Wolves, was injured and then sent to the ECHL’s Kalamazoo Wings Jan. 25 to work his way back up.

“He should play in every situation for us,” K-Wings coach Nick Bootland said. “He was injured in Chicago and was assigned to us to gain confidence. He should be a minute muncher.

“When he has the puck on his stick, with his size (6-foot-3, 215 pounds), skating and stature, you can see that he doesn’t belong here.”

The Canucks took Sauve, who is from Montreal, in the second round, 41st overall, in the 2008 NHL draft.

Sauve, his parents and his two brothers were in Ottawa for the draft, and he was surprised when the Canucks called his name.

“I really didn’t know,” he said. “There were so many teams interested. I was happy, proud of what I accomplished. It was like a new beginning. I wasn’t in Junior any more.

“My mom cried and I don’t know if my dad cried, but they were very proud.”

Sauve said he’s always enjoyed playing defense because “I like defending the opposite team and you play a lot of minutes.”

After finishing his junior career with the Saint John Seas Dogs, his first pro season (2010-11) was a good one for him.

He started with the ECHL’s Victoria Salmon Kings and battled back from an early season injury.

“After Christmas, I went up to the (AHL’s) Manitoba Moose, then Vancouver,” he said. “I worked hard for it. It was a dream come true.”

He played five games with the Canucks but spent most of the season with the Moose. He played last year with the Wolves.

In his five games with the K-Wings this year, Sauve has two goals, including the overtime game-winner in the 3-2 win at the Cincinnati Cyclones. His second tally came in Friday’s 5-1 win against the Fort Wayne Komets.

Sauve has a good attitude about being in Kalamazoo.

“I need to be confident with my play every night,” he said. “I need to get better every day. For me, it’s consistency with puck possession. I have the assets, I need the mental aspect.

“I have a big body and can play against the best line. I can be a good two-way defenseman. The offensive part of my game is there. It’s all part of having confidence.”

Archived