The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]2013-2014 Canucks Roster, and yes a Luongo trade

Thinking all the way ahead to next year, here's what i think is realistic, and no crazy blockbusters like some people have, and barely any signings too

At the draft, make this trade:

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

Korbinian Holzer

Matt Finn

2nd round pick

Re-sign Chris Tanev for 3 years $1.560 mil

Re-sign Dale Weise and Aaron Volpatti for 2 years $900 000 each

Re-sign Jordan Schroeder 2 years $1.2 mil

Re-sign Max Lapierre 2 years $1.15 mil

Sign a couple plugs for depth

Let Raymond and Malhotra walk, don't really care what happens to all the plugs

Compliance buyout Ballard

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.950m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.950m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Korbinian Holzer ($0.575m) / Chris Tanev ($1.560m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,899,167; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,400,833

If Jensen isn't ready, re-sign Higgins and make forward lines something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Kassian/Burrows

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Volpatti - Lapierre - Weise

Prospects:

Re-sign:

Sweatt, Archibald, Sauve, Rodin, Connauton

Release:

Rai, Schneider

Connauton may come up as 7th d or maybe spend another full year in the minors.

AHL:

Sweatt, Rodin, Archibald, Friesen, Mallet, Grenier (?), Connauton (?), Sauve, Price, Polasek, Corrado, Andersson, Tommernes (?), Cannata

ECHL:

Tochkin, Anthony, Grenier (?), Myron, Blomstrand (?), Honzik (?)

CHL:

McEneny, Gaunce, Finn, Honzik (?)

NCAA:

Labate, Beattie, Hutton, McNally

Europe:

Westerholm, Blomstrand (?), Tommernes (?)

All the question marks are ones that I think could go to either league they're in

That is nowhere near fair value for Luongo. We should be getting be gettig prospects, but high-end prospects, not the B level prospects you proposed. Matt Finn is nothing special and Holzer is having a good run, but his trade value is still very low compared to Luongo.

I think a A level prospect and a 1st shoud be enough for Lu, a roster player doesn't seem very nescessary unless Booth and Kesler don't perform up to par.

Filip Forsberg and a 1st for Lu + 3rd rd pick I think is fair. If a roster player is needed, then the package can be changed

The rest of the line-up is good though, I'd re-sign Higgins and MayRay if we don't trade him. He's playing too good lately to have him walk without getting anything for him.

thats an awful trade for Luongo. if that trade is what Gillis was looking for it would have been done a long time ago.

to get Luongo teams will have to give up a top prospect, impact roster player and a 1st rounder.

i think Gillis is looking for something like this:

Tor: Kadri, Kulemin, 1st

Was: Laich, Wilson, 1st

Fla: Weiss, Theodore, conditional 1st(if Weiss doesnt resign)

I did come up with an entire series of deals, which would look like this:

Luongo, Bieksa, Burrows to Montreal for Price, Gorges, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher, plus two first-rounders. A reasonable price tag, considering the length of Luongo's contract and his pedigree, not to mention including Bieksa and Burrows. Luongo's larger-than-life personality and pedigree would be perfect for the Habs. Price, meanwhile, he's been doing pretty good, but I think he isn't getting along in the Montreal environment - he might do even better in Vancouver.

Follow this by dealing Galchenyuk and Tanev to Edmonton for Nugent-Hopkins and a second-rounder. Most of you might dismiss this, but some people think Galchenyuk is comparable to Nugent, possibly better, but adding Tanev sweetens the deal.

Follow this by then dealing Schneider to Toronto for Scrivens and O'Reilley. That'll give you a potential top blueliner and a passable backup.

Then the biggest deal yet: Sedin twins, Kesler, Ballard, Raymond, Parent(from the farm) two first rounders from Montreal to Nashville for Weber. Even I'm going to call this deal pie in the sky, but if Nashville agreed to such a deal, it would churn something out for Vancouver.

When the dust settles, the Canucks will have undergone an extreme makeover, to be led by a distictive Big Three: Price, Weber, and Nugent-Hopkins (btw, all three of them are BC-born).

Before you guys comment on the price tag or talk about how impossible these deals are, just imagine for a moment.

Pair Nugent-Hopkins between Kassian and Schroeder. Nugent and Schroeder in particular, they have vision, intelligence, skating ability, and puck skills to match the Sedin twins - but they have even more heart and determination. These are guys who won't get deterred by bigger opponents, they will find ways to beat them. With Kassian on their line, they'll have an option - Big Z can ward off trouble makers, drive straight to the net, and can open up ice and pot in the rebounds. A second line featuring Higgins, Jensen, and Booth could fill in well - ideally if they could trade for a better second-line playmaker, it'll be even better.

Pair Weber and Edler (who btw, will be one of only two non-BC born blueliners remaining). This is a duo that combines intelligence, mobility, and grit to be a top shutdown pair, better than Keith-Seabrook. They can beat any opponent any which way, hit, block shots, break up plays, create turnovers, and can be extremely effective in the transition.

Price is finally having that breakout we knew could happen. Not sure if Habs would part with him now. But if he were playing in Vancouver, if he managed to exploit all of his potential, he would make an other-worldly netminder, especially with his combination of the butterfly and his puck-handling.

This is pie in the sky, doubtful this deal would go through (or that some of you would even want this). But it's interesting to imagine.

I did come up with an entire series of deals, which would look like this:

Luongo, Bieksa, Burrows to Montreal for Price, Gorges, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher, plus two first-rounders. A reasonable price tag, considering the length of Luongo's contract and his pedigree, not to mention including Bieksa and Burrows. Luongo's larger-than-life personality and pedigree would be perfect for the Habs. Price, meanwhile, he's been doing pretty good, but I think he isn't getting along in the Montreal environment - he might do even better in Vancouver.

Follow this by dealing Galchenyuk and Tanev to Edmonton for Nugent-Hopkins and a second-rounder. Most of you might dismiss this, but some people think Galchenyuk is comparable to Nugent, possibly better, but adding Tanev sweetens the deal.

Follow this by then dealing Schneider to Toronto for Scrivens and O'Reilley. That'll give you a potential top blueliner and a passable backup.

Then the biggest deal yet: Sedin twins, Kesler, Ballard, Raymond, Parent(from the farm) two first rounders from Montreal to Nashville for Weber. Even I'm going to call this deal pie in the sky, but if Nashville agreed to such a deal, it would churn something out for Vancouver.

When the dust settles, the Canucks will have undergone an extreme makeover, to be led by a distictive Big Three: Price, Weber, and Nugent-Hopkins (btw, all three of them are BC-born).

Before you guys comment on the price tag or talk about how impossible these deals are, just imagine for a moment.

Pair Nugent-Hopkins between Kassian and Schroeder. Nugent and Schroeder in particular, they have vision, intelligence, skating ability, and puck skills to match the Sedin twins - but they have even more heart and determination. These are guys who won't get deterred by bigger opponents, they will find ways to beat them. With Kassian on their line, they'll have an option - Big Z can ward off trouble makers, drive straight to the net, and can open up ice and pot in the rebounds. A second line featuring Higgins, Jensen, and Booth could fill in well - ideally if they could trade for a better second-line playmaker, it'll be even better.

Pair Weber and Edler (who btw, will be one of only two non-BC born blueliners remaining). This is a duo that combines intelligence, mobility, and grit to be a top shutdown pair, better than Keith-Seabrook. They can beat any opponent any which way, hit, block shots, break up plays, create turnovers, and can be extremely effective in the transition.

Price is finally having that breakout we knew could happen. Not sure if Habs would part with him now. But if he were playing in Vancouver, if he managed to exploit all of his potential, he would make an other-worldly netminder, especially with his combination of the butterfly and his puck-handling.

This is pie in the sky, doubtful this deal would go through (or that some of you would even want this). But it's interesting to imagine.

This is how I see it playing out...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian

Hansen-Schroeder-Raymond

Higgins-Lapierre-Wiese/Volpatti

Edler-Hamhuis

Garrison-Bieksa

Tanev-(D-Man From Luongo Trade)

Schneider

Lack

No way we're letting Raymond walk for nothing.... plus that speedy third line has some good chemistry going.

Jensen will need a year in the AHL, may join us in playoffs next year.

Archived