The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trades with Washington and Florida

I know that the likelihood of Ovechkin being traded is very small, but I wonder if this deal helps our team.

To Vancouver: Alex Ovechkin, Tom Wilson, conditional pick (based on Ovie's 2013/2014 points)

To Washington: Ryan Kesler, David Booth (both when healthy)

Why: Ovechkin is a talent unlike we have seen since Bure. Is he struggling? Absolutely but a change of scenery and having the top defensive pairing focus on the Sedins could be amazing for Ovie. Tom Wilson is a good defensive prospect, who should turn out to be a stud.

Washington does not want to rebuild but they clearly aren't going anywhere right now. The big loss here is the name of Ovechkin, who puts bums in the seats. But Kesler and Booth give Washington two top six players, who will greatly help in the locker room and with a solid all around team moving forward.

To Vancouver: Stephen Weiss, Jose Theodore, 3rd round pick

To Florida: Roberto Luongo

Why: Florida is off to a terrible start, particularly in goal. Both Theodore and Clemmensen are at the bottom of the league in stats. They get a long-term goalie who wants to be there in exchange for two expiring contracts. Markstrom can do what Schneider did in a few years of training as backup then either replacing or getting traded.

Vancouver gets rid of a large long-term contract in replace of two guys on expiring contracts, with the hope that Weiss will re-sign (maybe contingent on the trade going through?). Weiss will be a perfect pass-first centerman to play with Ovechkin. Weiss replaces Kesler on our depth chart.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Ovechkin - Weiss - Burrows

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Manny - Schroeder

Volpatti - Weis

(Raymond and Schroeder fit on higher lines, and are injury insurance policies. Volpatti and Weiss can play the grinder roles)

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Garrison

Tanev - Ballard

Schneider

Theodore

As much as I love Kesler, you have to admit that Ovie and Weiss is better than Kesler and Booth.

Archived