The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nathan Gerbe on the Trade Block?

What has happened to Nathan Gerbe?

Not that I expect the diminutive 5’5 180 pounder to be tearing it up but still no points in seven games?

Sources say don’t be shocked if Sabres GM Darcy Regier moves or at least attempts to move Gerbe in the near future.

Gerbe has been relegated to fourth line duty where with his size he’s hardly making any sort of relevant impact. He’s playing 9 minutes on a good night but for the most part is seeing 6-7 minutes of ice a night. This guy isn't a fourth line player and I'm not so sure what the thought process is here.

The return of Patrick Kaleta (neck), who was cleared to return today, could make Gerbe expendable. The former Boston College standout scored 16 goals two-years ago before seeing his total reduced to six last season.

The Sabres are currently sitting in last place in the Northeast Division and word is Regier is on the phone exploring his options.

I wrote this exact post in the other thread but I'll post it here since I had put Gerbe as a possible 'throw-in' (or maybe Minnesota can send someone back the other way?)

What about Matt Cullen (MIN) for Alexander Sulzer (BUF)/or Adam Pardy?

Cullen seems like a pretty decent faceoff guy for a team that needs FO help.

Alexander Sulzer is a more offensive type defenceman or Pardy is much more defensive and could provide some grit for a Minnesota team that can capitalize on size.

Maybe Buf can put Gerbe in the trade but could Gerbe succeed in the West? He might ignite someone like Setoguchi who isn't doing too great atm.

Can't see that he has much value, not a fantastic scorer, doesn't really play in power-plays or penalty kills, feisty but not overwhelmingly so...

Maybe the Flames could use him, they only have three natural centers, the Blue Jackets could always use a touch more offense. Really, there aren't a lot of teams that need a 2nd-3rd line decent but not dynamic center. Buffalo is probably gonna be stuck with him.

Archived