19 replies to this topic

#1 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Let me start this thread by saying I have nothing but respect for both of the Sedins. I didn't like them much when they were initially drafted, but they play hard, they do and say the right things and they are classy people.

However, people have been talking about what a huge scoring slump Kessel is in and nobody has brought up Henrik's slump. Kessel now has 2 goals in 11 or 12 games whereas Henrik hasn't scored in 10 months.

So who's in a bigger slump!

#2 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

2 assists tonight so far
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#3 Crom!

Crom!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Henrik could score zero goals a year and still lead the NHL in scoring. I'm not worried.

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Henrik hasn't scored in 10 months.

How many of those months were they actually playing in though?
Posted Image

#5 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Henrik is a legandary playmaker
Kessel is a all star sniper

Who should have more goals?

#6 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Henrik could score zero goals a year and still lead the NHL in scoring. I'm not worried.

I agree, but nobody says that about Kessel. Even when he has assists people just joke about him not scoring.

After today Kessel has 10 points, Daniel has 10 points, and Henrik has 8 points.

I would say that Kessel's season so far has been just as successful as the Sedin's.

Would you agree?

#7 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

I would say that Kessel's season so far has been just as successful as the Sedin's.

Would you agree?

I don't.

The Sedins' team has 16 points in 11 games while Kessel's team has 14 points in 12 games. I would say the Sedins' season has been slightly more successful.
Posted Image

#8 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Who cares if Henrik doesn't score as long as he is handing out assists like crazy. I think he had 10 goals and 72 assists in 2007 or something.

canucks141.png

#9 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

I agree, but nobody says that about Kessel. Even when he has assists people just joke about him not scoring.

After today Kessel has 10 points, Daniel has 10 points, and Henrik has 8 points.

Would you agree?

Kessel - one dimension.

Sedins - Multi-dimensional. Even when they're not scoring a wack of points, they're still able to keep sustained pressure in other team's zone. They still draw the best defensive pairings so that other lines can score. They sometimes go head-to-head with top lines when necessary (esp.with Kesler out) - take tonight against Iginla for example..

Stats rarely tell the whole story bro.

#10 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Henrik is still better! Henrik is more of an assist guy.

Edited by canucktican, 09 February 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#11 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I don't.

The Sedins' team has 16 points in 11 games while Kessel's team has 14 points in 12 games. I would say the Sedins' season has been slightly more successful.

So who has overperformed based on expectations? I would say that's TO, with Kessel being their best player.

Remember, the Canucks are a "Stanley Cup contender" whereas the Leafs are "hoping" to just make the playoffs.

#12 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

I think people are shortchanging Kessel.

Kessel brings a different dimension to his game than Henrik (obviously) but he is a crucial reason why the team (Toronto) succeeds or fails.

Whereas with Henrik, the few games when he was playing so-so, the team was still squeaking by because of depth.

I think, performance wise, Kessel is equivalent to Henrik, for this season only.

But they're NOT the same type of player.

Henrik won the Rocket Richard Art Ross/Hart Trophy for a reason. He is in a league of his own but that doesn't mean Kessel is bad by any stretch.

Edited by Dazzle, 11 February 2013 - 12:42 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#13 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Henrik's slow start is understandable (and it may now be over). Neither Sedin played during the lockout. They play a unique style for which timing with one another at game speed is paramount. They need to play in order to work on that. An abbreviated training camp and lack of pre-season was particularly detrimental for them. Perhaps now, through 11 games, they have re-gained their timing. If not, give them a few more games.

#14 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

It's all about playing style. Kessel is known as more of a goal scorer/sniper, Henrik is a passer. In other words Kessel is expected to score at a consistent pace, so when he doesn't, it's a problem. Henrik on the other hand has only broken the 20 goal barrier twice in his career, so it's more expected of him that he sets up others. It's not his job to score tons of goals.

Also, you can't call out Henrik for not having scored in 10 months since most that time there weren't even any games.

#15 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

It's all about playing style. Kessel is known as more of a goal scorer/sniper, Henrik is a passer. In other words Kessel is expected to score at a consistent pace, so when he doesn't, it's a problem. Henrik on the other hand has only broken the 20 goal barrier twice in his career, so it's more expected of him that he sets up others. It's not his job to score tons of goals.

Also, you can't call out Henrik for not having scored in 10 months since most that time there weren't even any games.

I heard that quote and thought how stupid it sounded right away, come on have they actually been playing any games, wowsers.

#16 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Henrik won the Rocket Richard for a reason. He is in a league of his own but that doesn't mean Kessel is bad by any stretch.

Never thought I'd see those words :lol:
Posted Image

#17 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Let me start this thread by saying I have nothing but respect for both of the Sedins. I didn't like them much when they were initially drafted, but they play hard, they do and say the right things and they are classy people.

However, people have been talking about what a huge scoring slump Kessel is in and nobody has brought up Henrik's slump. Kessel now has 2 goals in 11 or 12 games whereas Henrik hasn't scored in 10 months.

So who's in a bigger slump!

You can't even compre these two players. So don't, Kessel is a slump all n himself. That won't chnge until he's no longer a Leaf.

#18 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Never thought I'd see those words :lol:

Yeah, well, it happened in my imaginary world. :picard:

Aaron Rome also got 70 points in one season too and Mike Green got placed on waivers and got claimed by NYI who Charles Wang decided to sign a 13 year contract.

(I wrote that when I was really tired and I forgot the name of the award and that was what came to mind, so I wrote it... and was completely wrong :picard: )
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#19 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Both players are still doing well.

Kessel is more of a concern for 2 reasons

1) He is a Sniper
2) They gave a lot for him

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#20 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I would be. If the team is struggling to score as we've seen, he's almost useless offensively because he himself is not a threat to score. He never shoots.

I feel the twins on their decline, if they aren't already now, are going to be out of the NHL in a few years depending on the rate of their offensive drop off. They aren't physical, they don't block shots, Daniel doesn't take face offs, neither of them kill penalties, neither of them are those super likable personalities off ice. If they aren't scoring, they don't provide a whole lot and that's a simple fact.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.