The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kessel vs. Henrik

vcr1970

Let me start this thread by saying I have nothing but respect for both of the Sedins. I didn't like them much when they were initially drafted, but they play hard, they do and say the right things and they are classy people.

However, people have been talking about what a huge scoring slump Kessel is in and nobody has brought up Henrik's slump. Kessel now has 2 goals in 11 or 12 games whereas Henrik hasn't scored in 10 months.

So who's in a bigger slump!

I agree, but nobody says that about Kessel. Even when he has assists people just joke about him not scoring.

After today Kessel has 10 points, Daniel has 10 points, and Henrik has 8 points.

I would say that Kessel's season so far has been just as successful as the Sedin's.

Would you agree?

I think people are shortchanging Kessel.

Kessel brings a different dimension to his game than Henrik (obviously) but he is a crucial reason why the team (Toronto) succeeds or fails.

Whereas with Henrik, the few games when he was playing so-so, the team was still squeaking by because of depth.

I think, performance wise, Kessel is equivalent to Henrik, for this season only.

But they're NOT the same type of player.

Henrik won the Rocket Richard Art Ross/Hart Trophy for a reason. He is in a league of his own but that doesn't mean Kessel is bad by any stretch.

Henrik's slow start is understandable (and it may now be over). Neither Sedin played during the lockout. They play a unique style for which timing with one another at game speed is paramount. They need to play in order to work on that. An abbreviated training camp and lack of pre-season was particularly detrimental for them. Perhaps now, through 11 games, they have re-gained their timing. If not, give them a few more games.

It's all about playing style. Kessel is known as more of a goal scorer/sniper, Henrik is a passer. In other words Kessel is expected to score at a consistent pace, so when he doesn't, it's a problem. Henrik on the other hand has only broken the 20 goal barrier twice in his career, so it's more expected of him that he sets up others. It's not his job to score tons of goals.

Also, you can't call out Henrik for not having scored in 10 months since most that time there weren't even any games.

It's all about playing style. Kessel is known as more of a goal scorer/sniper, Henrik is a passer. In other words Kessel is expected to score at a consistent pace, so when he doesn't, it's a problem. Henrik on the other hand has only broken the 20 goal barrier twice in his career, so it's more expected of him that he sets up others. It's not his job to score tons of goals.

Also, you can't call out Henrik for not having scored in 10 months since most that time there weren't even any games.

Let me start this thread by saying I have nothing but respect for both of the Sedins. I didn't like them much when they were initially drafted, but they play hard, they do and say the right things and they are classy people.

However, people have been talking about what a huge scoring slump Kessel is in and nobody has brought up Henrik's slump. Kessel now has 2 goals in 11 or 12 games whereas Henrik hasn't scored in 10 months.

So who's in a bigger slump!

Archived