key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

B.C. man puts lottery win towards fight to legalize cannabis

Posted Image
Pot activist Robert Erb, 60, says he will use his lottery winnings to help support the legalization of marijuana in B.C

A British Columbia pot activist is putting his money where his mouth is -- literally -- by putting up his lottery winnings in the fight to legalize marijuana in the province.

Bob Erb won a $25-million jackpot in November and, at the time, pledged to use some of his new-found wealth to support cannabis decriminalization efforts.

Now, the 60-year-old has followed through on his promise, pledging up to $500,000 to match donations made to Sensible B.C. over the coming months.

“The biggest social injustice I’ve seen in all my entire lifetime is the criminalization and prohibition of marijuana,” Erb told CTV British Columbia on Friday.

Sensible B.C. has launched a campaign to collect enough signatures from registered voters to hold a referendum on the issue in 2014.

The group is also calling on the provincial government to pass the Sensible Policing Act, which will stop police in the province from using time and resources related to the prosecution of simple possession of marijuana.

“Although we can’t fully legalize and regulate as a province, we can tell the police to stop spending their time and resources to searching, detaining and arresting people for simple possession of cannabis,” Sensible B.C. founder Dana Larsen said.

The act doesn’t impact any of the laws regarding trafficking, possession for the purposes of trafficking or cultivation of marijuana.

A growing number of prominent B.C. municipal leaders, health and legal officials have joined the efforts to decriminalize cannabis in the province.

South of the border, Washington state and Colorado voted to legalize the possession of marijuana and Erb is hoping B.C. will follow suit.

The 60-year-old has also shared his lottery winnings residents in his hometown of Terrace, B.C., donating a large amount to the local homeless shelter.

http://www.ctvnews.c...9#ixzz2KTJbVHHW

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#2 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

A fool and his money are soon parted....
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#3 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Fool? Very generous if you ask me
Posted Image

#4 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Could have found more a deserving cause and people in need than them
Posted Image

#5 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Well, it also says that he donated a large sum to local charities. However, as much as I support the cause, and I do, it's a dumb thing to pledge on. There's enough awareness on marijuana that a reasonable decision is imminent. His 500,000 isn't going to legalize pot. The fact that it's bordering on being legal already will be what legalizes pot. This is just making a statement using found money, and a lot of people could have benefited from it.

#6 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

"Bob Erb won a $25-million jackpot in November..."

"Now, the 60-year-old has followed through on his promise, pledging up to $500,000..."

“The biggest social injustice I’ve seen in all my entire lifetime is the criminalization and prohibition of marijuana,”

2013-60 = 1953

REALLY BUDDY?
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#7 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

I wonder what he was smoking
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#8 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,388 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

at least 20 million of that will go to funding his local mini stock race track

Posted Image

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#9 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

As much as it pains me, and as much as NORML really would be able to use a half a million dollars...coleman is absolutely right. Money isn't what's needed to legalize cannabis...time is. We've already done incredible amounts of research on the scientific side, done our homework on the economic side. The decision is likely not far away, and while I commend this guy's generosity as it pertains to the cause of cannabis legalization, $500,000 could clothe, feed and shelter a lot of people who are in dire straits.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 10 February 2013 - 11:34 AM.

Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#10 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

He should have given $1 to 500,000 strangers instead.

#11 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

Nothing wrong with putting your money to a cause you believe in. He may have family or friends imprisoned due to laws he (and I) consider completely ludicrous. I don't know him personally so I'm not sure exactly what motivates him, but I'm also in no position to criticise him for donating to a cause he believes in.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#12 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Good luck with Harper in government. More jets please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.