The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymonds future with Canucks

CanucksSayEh

Raymond is my favorite player, don't know why, just is. It sucked to think that he would probably not be a Canuck next year. When he was signed to a 1 year deal, I saw 2 possible outcomes..

1) He sucks, or at most is average. The Canucks say goodbye and Raymond searches for a contract with another team,

2) He plays like I always thought he could, 20-30 goal pace with solid defensive and PK play. Another team recognizes the skill and throws him an offer he can't refuse.

Raymond has a new kid, he doesn't make a lot of money (relatively) and he isn't exactly young anymore. He's not really in a position to accept a discount to stay with a team when there are better offers available. The Canucks are in a tight cap situation, the chances are, if he plays well, another team will be more than willing to outbid us for MayRays services (assuming he continues exceptional play).

However...

A third scenario has recently presented itself....

Jordan Schroeder, these two together are fast, really really fast. They both have shown great passing between each other and have generated many chances thus far, all while providing steady defensive play.

Chemistry is something that's hard to come by, something Nucks management seems to treasure and hold onto.

My question is, if Raymond and Schroeder continue to shine as a duo, could it be enough for the Canucks to give Raymond a competitive enough contract to keep him here at season end?

I think it depends on the playoffs...

It's great that Mayray seems to have found his shot again! :) I'm seriously happy for the guy, but lets face it... we want the Cup. A good regular season doesn't cut it anymore with this team and fan base.

If he doesn't show up during the playoffs, I'm pretty sure MG will trade him...

Raymond has shown alot this season. If he keeps up this type of play, then all of a sudden the Canucks maybe the deepest team in the league because of it. Just think about this for second,

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgens Kesler Booth

Raymond Shroeder Hansen

Kassian Lapierre Weise

That is a very dangerous looking lineup. When Kesler is fully healthy and playing his game, it will cause match up nightmares for other teams who face the Canucks.

I could still see mayray being traded as his value increases. Last year would have been impossible to deal him let alone yield any decent return.

Schroeder could replace him as 45 is far more willing to get greasy.

If nothing happens involving mayray at the deadline, the playoffs will determine his chance at a contract here relative to

His post season performance.

He looked good tonight but again, against a brutal Calgary team.

Raymond has shown alot this season. If he keeps up this type of play, then all of a sudden the Canucks maybe the deepest team in the league because of it. Just think about this for second,

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgens Kesler Booth

Raymond Shroeder Hansen

Kassian Lapierre Weise

That is a very dangerous looking lineup. When Kesler is fully healthy and playing his game, it will cause match up nightmares for other teams who face the Canucks.

If Kassian is on the fourth line, we aren't getting anywhere in the playoffs. Why in the world do you think he was acquired? To waste his talent playing plug minutes? If he isn't in the top 6, or at least top 9, as he and Schroeder showed a lot of chemistry on the Wolves, come playoff time, I will have lost a lot of faith in the coaching staff. And I have my hopes Weise will be off the team by then as well. Regardless, I can't believe some fans are still undervaluing the incredible skill set Kass brings to the Canucks.

I remember watching Raymonds passing, a couple years back, and thought that it was his weakest skill. His passing skills have improved tremendously. Proud of him having a come back season so far and hope he can keep it up. I have no idea what the managments plans for Raymond are. I thought they might let him go or trade him a few times by now but they didnt. Now that he looks worth keeping maybe they trade him.

Hopefully he gets re-signed, but only Gillis and Co. know if he fits into their long term plans with salary cap going down and all. If the Canucks can get him signed for another 2 or 3 years at between 2 and 2.5 mill per year, then great! He's a versatile player who is fortunately getting his scoring touch back, which is certainly making a difference for the Canucks early on this season.

Archived