#1 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

POPULAR

Raymond is my favorite player, don't know why, just is. It sucked to think that he would probably not be a Canuck next year. When he was signed to a 1 year deal, I saw 2 possible outcomes..

1) He sucks, or at most is average. The Canucks say goodbye and Raymond searches for a contract with another team,

2) He plays like I always thought he could, 20-30 goal pace with solid defensive and PK play. Another team recognizes the skill and throws him an offer he can't refuse.

Raymond has a new kid, he doesn't make a lot of money (relatively) and he isn't exactly young anymore. He's not really in a position to accept a discount to stay with a team when there are better offers available. The Canucks are in a tight cap situation, the chances are, if he plays well, another team will be more than willing to outbid us for MayRays services (assuming he continues exceptional play).

However...

A third scenario has recently presented itself....

Jordan Schroeder, these two together are fast, really really fast. They both have shown great passing between each other and have generated many chances thus far, all while providing steady defensive play.

Chemistry is something that's hard to come by, something Nucks management seems to treasure and hold onto.

My question is, if Raymond and Schroeder continue to shine as a duo, could it be enough for the Canucks to give Raymond a competitive enough contract to keep him here at season end?

#2 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I think so, he's beginning to prove that he's still a great player.
If we don't decide to keep him, it will be because we've traded him for an asset we lack.
Posted Image

#3 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

I think so, he's beginning to prove that he's still a great player.
If we don't decide to keep him, it will be because we've traded him for an asset we lack.

Do you mean trade him this year? I thought he was fair game after this season.

#4 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

If he continues to click with Schroeder I have a feeling he'll be here next season

#5 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Do you mean trade him this year? I thought he was fair game after this season.

I'm saying if he continues to play the way he is currently, we will resign him regardless.
At that point, if we need something else and he is just an extra we don't need to keep, then we trade him.
Posted Image

#6 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

I want to keep Raymond, but for the right price.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#7 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

I think it depends on the playoffs...

It's great that Mayray seems to have found his shot again! :) I'm seriously happy for the guy, but lets face it... we want the Cup. A good regular season doesn't cut it anymore with this team and fan base.

If he doesn't show up during the playoffs, I'm pretty sure MG will trade him...

#8 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Raymond has shown alot this season. If he keeps up this type of play, then all of a sudden the Canucks maybe the deepest team in the league because of it. Just think about this for second,

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgens Kesler Booth
Raymond Shroeder Hansen
Kassian Lapierre Weise

That is a very dangerous looking lineup. When Kesler is fully healthy and playing his game, it will cause match up nightmares for other teams who face the Canucks.
:towel:

#9 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I think MayRay will stay on the third line with Shredder once Kes returns. MayRay, Shredder and Hansen on the same line...that's a fast third line...However, is that line built for the playoffs?

#10 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

I think MayRay will stay on the third line with Shredder once Kes returns. MayRay, Shredder and Hansen on the same line...that's a fast third line...However, is that line built for the playoffs?

Yes,
Hansen is plenty gritty enough aswell as fast. Raymond looks to be un-afraid of the physical play this season, and Shroeder has shown to be able to avoid players looking to hit him. All three players play well defensively and the combined speed of this line looks like it will cause teams problems.
:towel:

#11 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

I think they are. Raymond and Hansen stood out in vs LA more than anyone other than Hank. Someone like Booth could always be swapped with Hansen. They're not alone on the ice either.

#12 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

I could still see mayray being traded as his value increases. Last year would have been impossible to deal him let alone yield any decent return.

Schroeder could replace him as 45 is far more willing to get greasy.

If nothing happens involving mayray at the deadline, the playoffs will determine his chance at a contract here relative to
His post season performance.

He looked good tonight but again, against a brutal Calgary team.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#13 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

He's starting to show potential, but I'd sign him another 2 year and see if the progress continues before giving him that "right price" contract

#14 Vancouver's comeback

Vancouver's comeback

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Raymond has shown alot this season. If he keeps up this type of play, then all of a sudden the Canucks maybe the deepest team in the league because of it. Just think about this for second,

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgens Kesler Booth
Raymond Shroeder Hansen
Kassian Lapierre Weise

That is a very dangerous looking lineup. When Kesler is fully healthy and playing his game, it will cause match up nightmares for other teams who face the Canucks.

If Kassian is on the fourth line, we aren't getting anywhere in the playoffs. Why in the world do you think he was acquired? To waste his talent playing plug minutes? If he isn't in the top 6, or at least top 9, as he and Schroeder showed a lot of chemistry on the Wolves, come playoff time, I will have lost a lot of faith in the coaching staff. And I have my hopes Weise will be off the team by then as well. Regardless, I can't believe some fans are still undervaluing the incredible skill set Kass brings to the Canucks.
#BOSTONSTRONG
Hit first, ask questions second
Posted Image

#15 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Raymond has looked better each game.

If it weren't for Hansen having hands of stone tonight...Raymond would have gift-wrapped him a hat trick.
Posted Image

#16 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

If Kassian is on the fourth line, we aren't getting anywhere in the playoffs. Why in the world do you think he was acquired? To waste his talent playing plug minutes? If he isn't in the top 6, or at least top 9, as he and Schroeder showed a lot of chemistry on the Wolves, come playoff time, I will have lost a lot of faith in the coaching staff. And I have my hopes Weise will be off the team by then as well. Regardless, I can't believe some fans are still undervaluing the incredible skill set Kass brings to the Canucks.

Yeah, no way Kassian plays 4th line.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#17 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

I remember watching Raymonds passing, a couple years back, and thought that it was his weakest skill. His passing skills have improved tremendously. Proud of him having a come back season so far and hope he can keep it up. I have no idea what the managments plans for Raymond are. I thought they might let him go or trade him a few times by now but they didnt. Now that he looks worth keeping maybe they trade him.

#18 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

hes got 7 points in 11 games and is +5

hes playing for more money , considering where his grew up (alberta) i dont see him wanting to leave considering how close he is to his family
Posted Image

#19 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Booth
Hansen Lapierre Volpatti

This would be my choice of lineup.
Sig too big.

#20 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Hopefully he gets re-signed, but only Gillis and Co. know if he fits into their long term plans with salary cap going down and all. If the Canucks can get him signed for another 2 or 3 years at between 2 and 2.5 mill per year, then great! He's a versatile player who is fortunately getting his scoring touch back, which is certainly making a difference for the Canucks early on this season.

#21 CANUCKAHOLIC_9

CANUCKAHOLIC_9

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

Sedin Sedin Kass
Burr Kes Booth
Raymond Lappy Higgs

How would this work?

#22 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Too be honest with the band wagoners on this thread... I'm not one. Although Mason has shown some chemistry with Schroeder right now, I just can't get behind this recent streak. I still think Raymond is utterly useless and at age 27 has maybe 1-2 years to improve before maxed potential. PLEASEEEE, I beg you, prove me wrong Raymond (I love it when Canuck players I bash prove me wrong ei. Kesler's transition in 2007-2009). Until then I hope he gets packaged with Luongo.
Posted Image

#23 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

Sadly, he or higgy or both will walk this summer along with malholtra and or lappy.
We are a contender and contenders don't sell rental players

We don't have the money to retain him and we have a surplus of wingers.

The Cochrane Alberta native will get a nice contract from the Calgary Flames mark my words.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#24 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

Raymond for $1.5m thanks
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#25 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Sadly, he or higgy or both will walk this summer along with malholtra and or lappy.

The Cochrane Alberta native will get a nice contract from the Calgary Flames mark my words.

Pretty much this.

#26 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

The Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and Higgins won't be as good as they are right now. We need younger guys like Kassian and Raymond to step up into their prime, and that's what they're doing. Scoring is far more spread out now and that's how you win Cups - depth at the forward position, not offensive stars.

Look at L.A and Boston, they have stars (Krejci, Lucic, Kopitar, Brown) but not in the top-5 in the league. Instead they have 3rd and 4th liners who can score 20 and 10 goals respectively.
Posted Image

#27 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

Simple. Make the higgins/kesler/booth line a shutdown line

#28 brob89

brob89

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

I am also excited by his (Raymond's) recent play.
I am especially excited because his and Schroeder's play
have seemed to ignite each other. I hope this gives him
the confidence that lasts an entire season and into the playoffs.
As for the contract: we're going to have to lose 6 million from where
we are now and where we'll be next year. Lu and Alberts should do
the trick. So as long as we don't have a bunch of guys asking for
raises, we should be able to re-sign him. Or maybe I'm an idiot.

I'm interested to possibly see:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

With these 12 forwards, I feel like we possibly would not even worry about matching them.
All four lines could be played against the opposing team's top line(s). The Sedins/Burrows
because of their offensive prowess (we saw how the iggie line had to be moved away from them last night)
and the others because of a mixture of good defensive awareness and other attributes (such as speed and faceoffs).
Clearly I'm an optimist, but be that as it may, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the issue.

#29 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

As I've said elsewhere. If we break up the Raymond - Schroeder chemistry/partnership we risk losing Schroeder's potential.
It is no coincidence in my mind that Schroeder performed so well with Billy Sweatt and Raymond is a similar if superior version of Sweatt.
Raymond and Sweatt both know how to feed JS and I think we should nurture that, at least until Billy Sweatt is ready to come up and do himself justice.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

Edited by Bodee, 10 February 2013 - 08:34 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#30 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I think we need to trade Booth, Raymond can stay for 3 mil. Any more though and I'm pretty iffy.. We either have to get rid of Raymond, Ballard or Booth- I say keep Ballard, our defense will thank us! lol

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.