The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymonds future with Canucks

CanucksSayEh

Too be honest with the band wagoners on this thread... I'm not one. Although Mason has shown some chemistry with Schroeder right now, I just can't get behind this recent streak. I still think Raymond is utterly useless and at age 27 has maybe 1-2 years to improve before maxed potential. PLEASEEEE, I beg you, prove me wrong Raymond (I love it when Canuck players I bash prove me wrong ei. Kesler's transition in 2007-2009). Until then I hope he gets packaged with Luongo.

Sadly, he or higgy or both will walk this summer along with malholtra and or lappy.

We are a contender and contenders don't sell rental players

We don't have the money to retain him and we have a surplus of wingers.

The Cochrane Alberta native will get a nice contract from the Calgary Flames mark my words.

Sadly, he or higgy or both will walk this summer along with malholtra and or lappy.

We are a contender and contenders don't sell rental players

We don't have the money to retain him and we have a surplus of wingers.

The Cochrane Alberta native will get a nice contract from the Calgary Flames mark my words.

The Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and Higgins won't be as good as they are right now. We need younger guys like Kassian and Raymond to step up into their prime, and that's what they're doing. Scoring is far more spread out now and that's how you win Cups - depth at the forward position, not offensive stars.

Look at L.A and Boston, they have stars (Krejci, Lucic, Kopitar, Brown) but not in the top-5 in the league. Instead they have 3rd and 4th liners who can score 20 and 10 goals respectively.

I am also excited by his (Raymond's) recent play.

I am especially excited because his and Schroeder's play

have seemed to ignite each other. I hope this gives him

the confidence that lasts an entire season and into the playoffs.

As for the contract: we're going to have to lose 6 million from where

we are now and where we'll be next year. Lu and Alberts should do

the trick. So as long as we don't have a bunch of guys asking for

raises, we should be able to re-sign him. Or maybe I'm an idiot.

I'm interested to possibly see:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

With these 12 forwards, I feel like we possibly would not even worry about matching them.

All four lines could be played against the opposing team's top line(s). The Sedins/Burrows

because of their offensive prowess (we saw how the iggie line had to be moved away from them last night)

and the others because of a mixture of good defensive awareness and other attributes (such as speed and faceoffs).

Clearly I'm an optimist, but be that as it may, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the issue.

As I've said elsewhere. If we break up the Raymond - Schroeder chemistry/partnership we risk losing Schroeder's potential.

It is no coincidence in my mind that Schroeder performed so well with Billy Sweatt and Raymond is a similar if superior version of Sweatt.

Raymond and Sweatt both know how to feed JS and I think we should nurture that, at least until Billy Sweatt is ready to come up and do himself justice.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

Volpatti, Weise, Lapierre, Malhotra, Higgins, Hansen, Boothe and Schroeder are all more expendable to the team then Raymond. There is literally zero chance he gets traded as wingers of his spoeed and with his hands are hard to come by. But you don't have to take my word for it as the management all know this, and have said how much they want to keep Raymond. Package him in your armchair proposals all you want, he is not going anywhere. I am sure glad Gillis runs this team and not the CDC.

Too be honest with the band wagoners on this thread... I'm not one. Although Mason has shown some chemistry with Schroeder right now, I just can't get behind this recent streak. I still think Raymond is utterly useless and at age 27 has maybe 1-2 years to improve before maxed potential. PLEASEEEE, I beg you, prove me wrong Raymond (I love it when Canuck players I bash prove me wrong ei. Kesler's transition in 2007-2009). Until then I hope he gets packaged with Luongo.

I would wait till the season is over. See how he produces in summer, call his agent get a feel for what hes looking for term and salary and mull it over till around the draft.

I think keeping raymond might not be the best option. If Jensen is near NHL ready like many are thinking, I would rather give a top 9 spot to him and save a couple million in cap hit.

Raymond is fast, decent pk, but i think we have seen the ceiling from him. and budget by what FA are getting, I wouldnt be surprised if he has a solid year that a team offer him between 3-4m on contract.

I would not feel comfortable paying him that much.

Also I think we have to see what Booth brings to the team once hes back, heres hoping hes healthy and can show what he can do on our team for the rest of the year and playoffs.

Too early to even consider resigning him imo

One of the fastest skaters in the entire league. Underrated skill and stickhandling. Versatile, as in he can play a top 6 scoring role or a depth role because of his two way abilities. Decent PK'er.

The only thing Raymond really lacks to be the ideal 2nd/3rd liner on a contending team is size. Other than that, he brings a lot to the table for a player who is not a star or a go-to player. Like I said earlier, I don't know where he fits in the salary cap equation but I'm hoping he and the Canucks agree to a fair contract that would keep him here for another couple years.

Another thing to consider is that the guy is proven to have chemistry with the Canucks' top 3 centres. Remember that whenever Daniel was out with an injury, AV's go-to line was Raymond-H. Sedin-Burrows? That line always seemed to connect consistently. Raymond also enjoyed his best statistical season as the staple left wing on Kesler's line. Then, of course, there is his recent chemistry with Schroeder. To boot, he's finally getting healthy and whaddaya know? He's producing. All these factors are convincing of the fact he deserves to stay a Canuck.

I still hope he gets traded.. am i a hater? NO! I just think we lack size and we have enough speed on this team and need a cpl of guys like Kassian, 1 forward 1 on defence then in my mind we'd have a better chance at the cup than ever before in the history of the franchise.

I don't have much faith in Raymond but he does seem to be playing better this season. For me it will come down to playoff contribution.. assuming we go on a nice little run it will be interesting to see just how effective he can be. That will likely be the deciding factor...if he can't produce once again you have to think were due for a change.

Archived