31 replies to this topic

#1 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I was expecting the Canucks to be hovering around .500 with Booth and Kes out for the start of the season so, needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the results so far. But, what makes me really excited is to see this team when Booth and Kes come back! The Nucks are gonna be tough to be beat once everyone is back together and back on their game...

However, I find that I've had this same feeling for the last few years.... every year I'm impressed with the lineup and come playoffs, reality sets in again. We still get beaten up and lose to a lack of size, grit, scoring and depth. This year, with the unexpected performances from the 'unexpected' (Ballard & Mayray) coupled with Schroeds & Kass, we are that much closer, but still quite not there....

We need to add one top 9 forward to take us over the top, but I want to keep both Lou and Schneids for the playoffs as well. Hell, I'd like to keep the whole team intact and just add the key pieces for as little as possible or nothing...conundrum.

Goalies - great tandem

Defense - Top 4 will get there, there has definitely been gradual improvement each game. Garrison only has a handful of games with the Nucks, but I think he will be a force on the blue line.

- 3rd Line has been great and I wouldn't want to tamper with it Except with Ballard on the PP...

- Depth, we haven't really had a chance to analyze them this season... but I think it would be worth making a low ball offer to Campoli. He would add better depth to our blue line and we wouldn't have to give anything up to sign him (he's just signed in the Swiss League). He's obviously been blacklisted by the NHL for his role during the Lockout, but why should the Aquilinis give a fu@k? Lets put the Stanely Cup ahead of what other GM's would think about us (or him). And who knows? Campoli might thrive on a new team like Souray & Redden have been...

Forwards - A lot of our current players are able to move up and down the lines on the wing, so I think we're pretty good on depth here when Booth and Kes are back. But, we still need another piece.
- Schroed's been great, but we don't know how he's gonna do in the Playoffs. He definitely gives us an option up the middle and for a rookie, I'd prefer we use him for depth during the playoffs. Having said this, we could have a pretty fast 3rd line with him centering it, he played great tonight and 2 goals! I think he's earned his spot on the roster and should C Kes and Booth or the 3rd.

- 4th Line & Depth, trickle down effect with picking up a top 9.

What we need is a big 2-way C to allow Kes and the 2nd line to focus more on the offensive side of the game. What if we could pick up O'Reilly from Colorado with an offer sheet? Our top 3 C lines will be up there with the Penguins...

One possible look would be moving Kes to the wing where he has played well before, Booth / O'Reilly / Kes. This would be a dangerous line... And I'm sure MG will be able to fit his $900,000 Cap for this year. Next year, we could move Booth (or whoever isn't performing) to fit O'Reilly's new contract.

I know the odds are slim...to nil, but the Av's are cash strapped and they might not be willing to match an offer around $4-5 mill/season. If we could do this, than we don't have to make a move with either goalie until the offseason and greatly improves our team... add Campoli (for nothing) and I'm good with the Defense, Forwards, Goalie situation and Depth.

If MG doesn't want to make an offer...we should consider a trade. If they don't want Lou's contract, a 3-way? Ignoring Division issues ;)

Goalie: Lou & Schneids

Defense: Same

Forwards:

Sedins / Burr Sedins / Burr

Booth / O'Reilly / Kes Booth / Kes / Kass

Mayray - Higgy / Schroeds / Hansen - Kass Higgy / O'Reilly / Hansen

Lappy / Manny / Hansen - Kass Lappy / Manny / Pini? Volp?

***Pending Schroeds and Kes & Booth***

Sedins / Burr

Booth / Schroeds / Kes

Higgy / O'Reilly / Kass - Hansen

Lappy / Manny / Kass - Hansen

#2 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Thing is, if we come close and lose...

We will have 1 huge asset on the bench, which will always be pointed to as the missing piece we didn't have on the ice.

#3 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Posted Image

#4 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Interesting insight. I don't know about the offer sheet for O'Reilly though. I don't think we have the room for him and that kind of offer without trading Luongo.

#5 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

That's odd...usually, one sees goalies threads disguised as lineup threads...this is the opposite. Anyways, here are my current healthy lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Malholtra/Wiese

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Ballard-Garrison

Schnieder/Luongo

Personally, I think we should trade Luongo while his stock is still sky-high, but we should still try to get a decent goalie in return. We should look for a solid top-4 right-handed defenseman to play with Edler, and a high pick or two (to be traded at the deadline) or another big, top-6 playmaking centre/winger.
Spoiler

#6 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Vandemeer and Barker > Campoli

O'Reilly's great but we have no cap room, especially not for next year. Schroeder is playing a great two way game and deserves to stick around on the third line when Kesler returns.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Higgins
Volpatti-LaPierre-Hansen

Edler Hammuis
Bieksa Garrison
Ballard Tanev

Luongo
Schneider
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#7 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

That's odd...usually, one sees goalies threads disguised as lineup threads...this is the opposite. Anyways, here are my current healthy lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Ballard-Garrison

Schnieder/Luongo

Personally, I think we should trade Luongo while his stock is still sky-high, but we should still try to get a decent goalie in return. We should look for a solid top-4 right-handed defenseman to play with Edler, and a high pick or two (to be traded at the deadline) or another big, top-6 playmaking centre/winger.

What do you call Garrison?
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#8 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thing is, if we come close and lose...

We will have 1 huge asset on the bench, which will always be pointed to as the missing piece we didn't have on the ice.

Yeah, but we're talking about the Canucks here... what are the odds that we won't have any injuries to our top 6 during the playoffs? I don't think any of our assets will be riding the pine during the playoffs.

#9 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Yeah, but we're talking about the Canucks here... what are the odds that we won't have any injuries to our top 6 during the playoffs? I don't think any of our assets will be riding the pine during the playoffs.

That 1 asset would be a goalie.

#10 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

A solid top 4 left handed defencemen lol
Posted Image

#11 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

O'Reilly's great but we have no cap room, especially not for next year. Schroeder is playing a great two way game and deserves to stick around on the third line when Kesler returns.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Volpatti-LaPierre-Hansen

Edler Hammuis
Bieksa Garrison
Ballard Tanev

Luongo
Schneider

I dont know why they would break up that speedy 2nd line if they do decide to keep shredder just make it line 2b, take some presure off kes. I know AV/MG want some size in the top 6 so Kassian is a safe bet on kes's wing just dont know what they are going to do with higgy.

Edited by Noheart, 09 February 2013 - 11:57 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#12 How the west was won

How the west was won

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Why do you want to break up a 3rd line that has produced well this season and been defensively responsible? The line of Raymond, Schroeder, and Hanson are playing great together. Each player has points and even more have great plus/minus ratings. Essentially we'll have a decent looking second line for a third line and a great third line (Higgins, Lappy, Malholtra/Weiss/Volpatti) for a forth line. Having a second line of Booth, Kesler, Kassian would also be sick. Have you seen Kassians vision? He can be that play maker for that line.

The only trade that I think would be made is lou or schnieds and booth for a second line playmaker prospects and good picks

#13 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Interesting insight. I don't know about the offer sheet for O'Reilly though. I don't think we have the room for him and that kind of offer without trading Luongo.

His cap is $900,000 for 2012-13.... Lou and some others will be traded by the summer and some might not get an offer if O'Reilly really excels.

#14 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

While its possible to win with both goalies, I think our chances are better with half the money spent on a Willie Mitchell type dman and/or physical top six playmaker with either goalie remaining.

Lu's performance right now/his on ice demeanor says to me that with the help of a gritty crease clearing big minute dman we could have playoff success.

And to be honest I havnt seen that until his recent run in a long time.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#15 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Ballard-Garrison

Schnieder/Luongo

I like the line ups when Booth and Kes return...However, I'm tired of getting beat up and limping along after a tough series and we're gonna have to go through Chicago and California.

No offense to Mayray or Schroeds cause they're playing great....but do they give our 3rd line what's really needed come playoffs? I'd rather have the option to use them for certain teams and use a player like O'Reilly centering the 3rd for teams like the above mentioned.

#16 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

O'Reilly would be sick. I love the way Ballard's played this year so far but if we signed O'Reilly to an offer sheet of say Keith's contract, then he will have to go. And when Kesler and Booth get back and everyone plays to their abilities...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - O'Reilly - Schroeder
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Malhotra, Volpatti, Weise

Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Bieksa
Vandermeer - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

:mellow:

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 10 February 2013 - 12:09 AM.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#17 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Volpatti-LaPierre-Hansen

Edler Hammuis
Bieksa Garrison
Ballard Tanev

Luongo
Schneider

Not sure if I agree with Barker > Campoli

At $900,000...we have the cap room for this year and I'm sure MG can find a way to fit his cap for next year. Players like Booth and Mayray need to show that they can keep their performance up during the playoffs... we could use the extra cap to make room for O'Reilly.

I'm not taking anything away from Schroeds...I think he's playing great as well :) Really pleased with him! I'm just thinking of the grind of the playoffs and I'm not sure if we should rely on a rookie...plus, in a 7 game series, we're better off with bigger boys who can wear down the opponents.

I get your point. I felt the same way the last few years with the Nucks. I love the guys and hope for the best, but we always get beaten up.....literally and figuratively.

#18 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

That 1 asset would be a goalie.

We did get to the SC Finals with one of 'those' assets on the pine ;)

#19 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Why do you want to break up a 3rd line that has produced well this season and been defensively responsible? The line of Raymond, Schroeder, and Hanson are playing great together. Each player has points and even more have great plus/minus ratings. Essentially we'll have a decent looking second line for a third line and a great third line (Higgins, Lappy, Malholtra/Weiss/Volpatti) for a forth line. Having a second line of Booth, Kesler, Kassian would also be sick. Have you seen Kassians vision? He can be that play maker for that line.

The only trade that I think would be made is lou or schnieds and booth for a second line playmaker prospects and good picks

I agree with what you wrote...but the point is making the offer sheet so that we can acquire that top 6 without losing any assets. Basically, keeping the best tandem together for the playoff run.

The only thing I have concerns with is the playoffs....Mayray doesn't have a history of performing at this time and Schroeds is a rookie lacking size. In a 7 game series, we need bigger guys that can wear the opponents down....

We don't lose anything, stay under the cap and we improve greatly....why not take the chance?

#20 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

I think we actually have decent size now. If you throw Kass on a line with Raymond and Schroeder, they will not get pushed around. Or put Kass on the first line with the Sedins to give them space to work magic. I think of the line of Booth, Kass and Kes. Holy sheep shid thats a whole lotta size to put on one line. Thats like three big power fowards on one line lol. Most teams would like to have just one of those and we got three. If they have chemistry then sure, but we may have to spred that beef around the top three lines. Just like having two number one goalies, its kind of a nice problem to have. So far the only thing we seem to be lacking is a power play quarter back type of defencemen. I know we got Garrison and Edler but so far they arnt getting it done on the PP. AV had Daniel Sedin on the point on the PP which should say a lot about what the coaching staff thinks of our defencemen on the PP.

#21 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

I think we actually have decent size now. If you throw Kass on a line with Raymond and Schroeder, they will not get pushed around. Or put Kass on the first line with the Sedins to give them space to work magic. I think of the line of Booth, Kass and Kes. Holy sheep shid thats a whole lotta size to put on one line. Thats like three big power fowards on one line lol. Most teams would like to have just one of those and we got three. If they have chemistry then sure, but we may have to spred that beef around the top three lines. Just like having two number one goalies, its kind of a nice problem to have. So far the only thing we seem to be lacking is a power play quarter back type of defencemen. I know we got Garrison and Edler but so far they arnt getting it done on the PP. AV had Daniel Sedin on the point on the PP which should say a lot about what the coaching staff thinks of our defencemen on the PP.

Yeah....I can only imagine the havoc that Booth / Kes / Kass would cause to the opposition. But, I still think it would be great to have that (big) solid 2 way C that can take the defensive responsibilities.... Schroeds is great, but he's not gonna wear down the opposition in a 7 game series.

PP - I really want to see Ballard out there... I read somewhere that he's one of the most skilled during practices? I just wish AV would give him that chance for an extended period. When it comes to Dmen, the price is high right now as many teams need them....this would definitely involve trading Lou. However, I think we have that quarterback on the PP with Ballard.

#22 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - O'Reilly - Schroeder
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Malhotra, Volpatti, Weise

Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Bieksa
Vandermeer - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

:mellow:

Your line up looks real good too.... So many options if we can fill that space with an offer sheet :)

If we made an offer equal to Ballards... wouldn't that come into effect next year? O'Reilly's cap would still remain at $900,000 for this year I believe.... If this is the case, than we wouldn't have to move Ballard (yet) and our D remains the same.

Can anyone verify the offer sheet situation?

#23 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

exactly and if either goalie was turned into a player that can help insted of opening the door we may have won the cup.

#24 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

If the Sedins turn it up a notch, we will be in great form!

#25 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

I would think that Luo would,if he thought Vancouver was his best chance at a Cup,refuse any trade offers Gillis throws his way.
Keep Gillis working the phones for a trade that will never come.Perfect poker win for Luo.
Gets to say good bye on his own terms.

Edited by nuck nit, 10 February 2013 - 05:39 AM.

#26 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,870 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

The way I see it, our depth is winning us games right now, not our stars. When healthy the Canucks will have Higgins and Kassian on the 4th line - that's a 20 goal scorer and a potential 15-20 goal scorer on their bottom line which is unheard of. Cup winning teams usually have 10-goal scorers on their bottom line.

As for defence, Ballard and Tanev have been our most stable pairing so far. We have 9 NHL defencemen as it is, which is as much depth as you can ask for on the blueline.

Honestly the only thing we could get out of a Luongo/Schneider trade that would help this team is either a top-3 NHL star forward who can play with the Sedins, a 2nd line centerman who can play on the wing and replace one of our big guns in case of injury or a top-4 defenceman who can play 20+ minutes in case one of our top-4 get injured.

We've seen that our offence can score from anywhere in case our top-6 get injured, but I feel that our defence will crumble if we lose 1 let alone 2 of our big guys on the back end. Bieksa took an ugly head-hit at the end of this game, let's just hypothetically say he and Garrison are injured at the same time...

Edler - Hamhuis
Ballard - Tanev
Vandermeer - Barker
Alberts

Not a bad defence, but Ballard and Tanev will make far more mistakes playing 20-22 minutes per game, and our bottom pairing will be terrible compared to what they normally are.
Posted Image

#27 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

That's true, but next time we get there we're gonna want to win.

#28 Pavel Burrows

Pavel Burrows

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

A Left handed d-man stupid.
Posted Image

Credit to VC!

#29 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I don't know how we'd make it cap-compliant...we might have to shed some cap/make small trades for prospects/draft picks (Manny for example...depending on how our face-off %'s are)

Offer sheet O'Reilly, or trade for his Rights

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Schroeder
Raymond-O'Reilly-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti

Edler-Hamhuis
Bieksa-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider-Luongo
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#30 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

He said a "solid" defenseman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.