The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could reverse one Canucks trade, which would it be..........

vcr1970

OK, the obvious one is out (Neely for Pederson+)..............

Of the rest (during my lifetime at least), the three that come to mind for me are.........

Rick Vaive and Bill Derlego for Tiger Williams and Jerry Butler (I think this was the deal).

Bure for Jovo, Gagner and ???? was it Morrison?

Kassian for Hodgson

If you can think of one better than the three above, please let me know and add it to the list.

Of the three above, I would give us back Cody............5 goals, 5 assists in 10 games...........he'd be our leading scorer right now

OK, the obvious one is out (Neely for Pederson+)..............

Of the rest (during my lifetime at least), the three that come to mind for me are.........

Rick Vaive and Bill Derlego for Tiger Williams and Jerry Butler (I think this was the deal).

Bure for Jovo, Gagner and ???? was it Morrison?

Kassian for Hodgson

If you can think of one better than the three above, please let me know and add it to the list.

Of the three above, I would give us back Cody............5 goals, 5 assists in 10 games...........he'd be our leading scorer right now

The Package: Zack Kassian vs. Nail Yakupov

By Justin Piercy

Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 | 11:17 AM

Read 51comments51

620-kassian-yakupov-thumb-620xauto-270975.jpgThe Vancouver Canucks and Edmonton Oilers must be pleased with how young players Zack Kassian, left, and Nail Yakupov, right, have started the 2013 season. (Photos courtesy The Canadian Press)

We at CBCSports.ca will be keeping an eye on the next generation of NHL stars on Canada's seven clubs, whether they're in the NHL or working on the "farm" in the AHL.

We'll periodically check in with these players throughout the 2012-13 season, no matter what league they'll be lacing up their skates in. Today, we check in with the Vancouver Canucks' Zack Kassian and the Edmonton Oilers' Nail Yakupov, who have both impressed thus far in this lockout-shortened season.

Tale of the tape

Zack Kassian Nail Yakupov

6' 3" Height 5' 11"

214 lbs. Weight 185 lbs.

22 Age 19

13th in 2009 Drafted 1st in 2012

5 Goals 5

1 Assists 1

12 PIM 2

For two players with vastly different skill sets, Nail Yakupov and Zack Kassian have looked quite similar this season.

Sure, the rough-as-sandpaper Kassian has had his share of fisticuffs eight games into the season, including this tilt against Oilers tough-guy Ben Eager where Kassian tried to inject some life into his team and the crowd:

Yakupov has also stepped up to correct a perceived slight against his teammates, going after Matt Duchene after the Avs' forward shot the puck at the Oilers' net after the period had ended on Saturday.

While the Oilers forward's goal celebrations soured some pundits, he has found the back of the net five times and added an assist -- immediate production from last year's first overall draft pick, and plenty of highlight-reel fodder from his superhuman hand-eye coordination:

So what's Kassian done? Oh, he's just the Canucks' leading goal scorer.

Paired with the Sedin twins on the first line, and seeing a decent amount of time on the power play, the Windsor, Ont., native has the same offensive output as Yakupov -- five goals and one helper, including this tally showcasing his soft hands in the roughest part of the ice:

With the Canucks in Edmonton on Monday night, the two will share the ice... but who do you think makes the bigger impact?

Why is the Neely trade out? I mean, that's like saying "What's 2 + 2? And 4 is out." I get the feeling this is meant to be another "Why did we trade Cody?" thread, but in (a very flimsy) disguise.

OT: reverse the Neely trade. There is literally no other option. You may have different opinions; those opinions are wrong. We traded away a future Hall of Famer and got something between "bugger" and "all" in return.

Would he somehow have Vanek on his wing here as well?

Grabner and 1st for Ballard.

I don't like the Ballard deal. NOT that I miss Grabner but I think with the signing of Hamhuis, Ballard turned out to be expendable and a 5-6th dman. We could have gotten more for grabner and a 1st (howden) He is doing pretty well I might add, looks to be developing into a 2nd line winger.

Archived