The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could reverse one Canucks trade, which would it be..........

vcr1970

The thing nobody gets about the Grabner/Ballard trade was that Gillis wanted to take Tinordi with our 1st but Montreal beat us to him, so we had nobody of the same caliber on our draft board and that's why Gillis went ahead with it.

I still say trading Gelinas was the worst because he came back and burned us by eliminating us in OT. Also Neely for obvious reasons but also because then he would never have become Boston's Pres or whatever which would have altered the course of the Finals.

.............................................................................................. no just cause you don't agree with the way hodgson left doesn't mean that the trade was good. Hodgson is greater than kassian pretty much doubles him in goals and is playing well enough defense to play on the PK the only thing kassian is doing better is penalty minutes. you can not convince me that a 3rd line player is better than a 1st line player

How about the trade that never happened. It was the biggest mistake . Keeping Jovanoski for a failed playoff run everyone was expecting. Then GM Dave Nonis losing him for nothing because they could not afford him. That was the biggest reverse beside Neely as they could of gotten a descent player or two. Atleast they'd tried to improve in other trade failures but here they did nothing.

Also cannot forget the Messier trade which almost destroyed the Canucks.

Neely trade hands down. It wasn't just that we lost Neely, it's the 1st round pick that went with it.

If we had decent scouts we could have drafted Sakic.

Neely, Sakic, Linden, Bure, (Find a way to keep Larionov), Courtnall.

That is a top 6 that even the Rangers wouldn't have had an answer for.

In fact we might have had a chance at more than 1 cup.

How about the trade that never happened. It was the biggest mistake . Keeping Jovanoski for a failed playoff run everyone was expecting. Then GM Dave Nonis losing him for nothing because they could not afford him. That was the biggest reverse beside Neely as they could of gotten a descent player or two. Atleast they'd tried to improve in other trade failures but here they did nothing.

Also cannot forget the Messier trade which almost destroyed the Canucks.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Neely trade hands down. It wasn't just that we lost Neely, it's the 1st round pick that went with it.

The Ballard trade was a huge lose-lose. Panthers expected to get a 30-20 speedster and a physical 15 in addition to the 1st round pick for a top 4 two-way dman and hard-hitting fourth liner. Grabner was waived, Bernier sucked, and Ballard become a bottom pairing making 4.2 million. Oreskovich was pretty much a non-factor and Howden has 9 goals in 45 AHL games.

I hated a lot of trades Burke made. At least Gillis' moves were well intentioned.

Here are a couple of Burke Blunders:

- 2nd round pick & Adrian Aucoin for Dan Cloutier. Aucoin had 33 goals over the prior two seasons (despite missing 25 games). The year we traded him he had the second best +/- on the team (+13). Cloutier had some good years but I think his stats were inflated by the team in front of him. Too much to give up for a young, struggling goalie.

- RJ Umberger for Martin Rucinsky & Alexandre Grenier. Umberger would have looked great in a Canucks uni. We finally draft a power forward who can score and we trade him away for a player who scored 2 goals in 20 games for us. Should have given him the 1.1 million he was asking for!

Man, I loved Mogilny back in the day. Does anyone remember the conditions which lead to his being traded? Was he (knowingly) unhappy here? Contract issues? What?

As exciting as the West Coast Express was, I'd have loved to see Mogilny stick around.

I would have reversed dealing Doug Lidster to the Rangers for John Vaniesbrook. They made that deal just to protect Whitmore in the expansion draft.

In all likelihood, I doubt the Panthers or anyone else would have taken Whitmore. Even so, giving up your best blueliner is not worth the deal - in all likelihood, it cost Vancouver the Cup and $1.2 million in damages to the downtown centre.

Archived