Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

I know its been a couple games since but why didnt anybody fight duncan keith?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#61 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Like others have said in this thread before, just finish every check on him, check him hard, and keep him looking over his shoulder, that's the best form of retribution, fear.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 10 February 2013 - 06:10 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#62 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I really felt something should have been done about the Keith hit on Sedin. Losing a shot at the cup should be something to inspire a certain level of angst at the very least within the players of the team.

And of course no one wants a Bertuzzi situation again. Stating that is a massive slippery slope. Yes that Bertuzzi fiasco cost us a run at the cup.

However, Bertuzzi deserves everything he gets, because we all know you can't punch people in the back of the head. Such cowardly actions should be punished. If Bertuzzi had any brains at all, he would have spun Moore to face him, or let him go and wait for another time.

A straight up fair fight with Keith and one of our tougher players would be 5 min each for fighting, and thats how this should be handled. End of story.

Ha your dreaming if you think Keith would drop mitts with any of our "tougher players" unless Daniel channels his inner viking and decides to square off with him it aint gonna happen. anyone else would just get 5 and and instigator and possibly ejected from the game for unsportsmanlike. Then Keith would score on the PP to rub some salt in.

Edited by honey badger36, 10 February 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#63 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Ha your dreaming if you think Keith would drop mitts with any of our "tougher players" unless Daniel channels his inner viking and decides to square off with him it aint gonna happen. anyone else would just get 5 and and instigator and possibly ejected from the game for unsportsmanlike. Then Keith would score on the PP to rub some salt in.

Thats the point. Who cares if we win or lose a regular season game?
Who cares if Keith scores on the PP? You just send out another guy to kick the crap out of him and take another 5 and a game. (Obviously dont do it to the extent that you are running a 2 line team)
Keith laughs and points at the scoreboard?
You laugh and point at his bloody face and then call him a wussy.
Every whistle should come with an auto facewash.

Come prepared to lose but also ready to beat up a non willing combatant.
Call up Alberts and Vandermeer
Call up Pinizzotto

Play the game for the sole purpose of sending a message that you will NEVER touch our superstars again or you will have to answer to a game full of being physically humiliated at every whistle.

Being shorthanded all game will probably result in a loss, but really, will that loss matter at the end of the regular season?

#64 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

He should of took a beating like any other player in this league would against any other team. None of this the 2 points Is better garbage.

#65 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

He should of took a beating like any other player in this league would against any other team. None of this the 2 points Is better garbage.

Lol I feel the same way but maybe I should get off the Roids...

#66 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thats the point. Who cares if we win or lose a regular season game?
Who cares if Keith scores on the PP? You just send out another guy to kick the crap out of him and take another 5 and a game. (Obviously dont do it to the extent that you are running a 2 line team)
Keith laughs and points at the scoreboard?
You laugh and point at his bloody face and then call him a wussy.
Every whistle should come with an auto facewash.

Come prepared to lose but also ready to beat up a non willing combatant.
Call up Alberts and Vandermeer
Call up Pinizzotto

Play the game for the sole purpose of sending a message that you will NEVER touch our superstars again or you will have to answer to a game full of being physically humiliated at every whistle.

Being shorthanded all game will probably result in a loss, but really, will that loss matter at the end of the regular season?

sounds like someone is getting picked on in elemntary school. you dont have to live in fear, you can talk to someone.
I Love Lamp...

#67 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

sounds like someone is getting picked on in elemntary school. you dont have to live in fear, you can talk to someone.

Haha that's funny because I was thinking of the exact opposite.

I was thinking most of the people whining about 2 points were the geeks getting beaten up in school...

#68 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Ok true story.

Long time ago when I was in grade 9, there was this really annoying kid that I got in a fight with. I beat him up.
The next day, his big brother (Grade 12) comes and threatens me. Right as he's about to beat me up, I said to him "If you are going to beat me up, you better kill me because I will come back harder and REALLY beat up your brother."

Plan didnt work. The 12th grader kicked my a$$.
It took me a few days to recover and figure out my plan.

So long story short, I went and really kicked the crap out of that guy's brother again.

The brother came back at me again but like I told him the 1st time, I said he has the chance to stop the fighting by letting things go. If he beats me up again, I will come back even harder on his brother.

He had some choice words for me but left without laying a hand on me.

Keep in mind in the late 90s crime isnt like what it is today. I prob wouldnt do that now because someone might really have a gun and kill me. But back then, it was about taking your lumps in a fist fight. No one was going to die over it.

I see Hockey the same way. Retribution on the ice can and should be used as a deterrent and a way to police itself.
Fighting is a part of hockey and its there for a reason.

If they didn't want it to be a part of hockey, they would have removed it and handed auto suspension like the rest of the sports leagues.

#69 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

That fact means that we can't rely on our hitting as an effective deterrent to the rats of the league. But you know what facet of the game exists for this purpose? Fighting. The very reason fighting is still in the game is for this purpose. We needed to jump Keith, and let the league know that we are not to be messed with. For the time being, the label of 'pushovers' is still firmly attached to this team.

The Canucks have had 9 fighting majors so far this season. In 11 games! I would hardly consider that a 'push over' team. Every time someone has challenged a Canuck one of our guys has rose to the challenge and dropped the gloves. I hardly think that other teams in the league think we are push overs.

Here is the top ten teams in order of most fights:

<ul>
<li> Columbus Blue Jackets 14</li>
<li> Toronto Maple Leafs 14</li>
<li> Boston Bruins 10 </li>
<li> Buffalo Sabres 10 </li>
<li> Montreal Canadiens 10</li>
<li> Philadelphia Flyers 10</li>
<li> Vancouver Canucks 9</li>
<li> New York Rangers 8 </li>
<li> Anaheim Ducks 7</li>
<li> Chicago Blackhawks 7</li>

</ul>

Edited by CptCanuck16, 10 February 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#70 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Everyone was expecting us to goon it up, that's why they had O'Halloran in there ready to throw the book at us. Remember people, revenge is a dish best served cold. The NHL was just begging the Canucks to go after the Hawks' guys, they couldn't wait to bring the hammer down on us. That's why the Sedins and Vigneault told the guys to hold off and play it cool. They know how this game is played. It's a sort of passive-aggressive psych-out tactic. Keith knows he can't hide forever. It's got to be unsettling for the Blackhawks, knowing that the matter is still hanging over their heads, knowing that any moment in a game could be the moment we decide to take our vengeance. It's much better than having a pointless little scrap on the first shift, it's mental warfare. Their time will come.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#71 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Wait until we ventilate Crawford then throw out Volpatti to send Keith out on a stretcher. Whether or not Keith drops HIS mitts doesn't matter.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#72 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

keith is chicken sh*t thats why , he wouldn't drop the gloves with anyone even close to tough on our team. If anything he would get into another grappling match with burrows till burrows starts fish hooking him or gauging his eyes out

and burrows doesnt need that

Edited by cIutch, 11 February 2013 - 01:26 AM.

Posted Image

#73 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I was at this game, and I was seeking retribution too. But I gotta tell you winning that shoot out was better than watching Keith getting punched in the face. It felt like we just won a playoff series. We will play them in the playoffs, beating them in the Western Conference Final, will be the best retribution yet.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#74 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Keith wont fight, but we should have a guy like a Volpatti running around and try to take their stars (Kane, Teows etc) out with some kind of cheap shots or something.

#75 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Keith wont fight, but we should have a guy like a Volpatti running around and try to take their stars (Kane, Teows etc) out with some kind of cheap shots or something.

Doesn't matter if Keith fights; one of our guys needs to drop his gloves and make Steve Moore feel lucky he got off easy.

Edited by Number14, 10 February 2013 - 10:56 PM.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#76 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

I can't believe how many people out there are saying it was right to not fight Keith. This is the reason other teams take runs at the Canucks, because they're soft.

If someone cheap shots one of your players, and you don't get him that game; you get him the next. You don't blind side him like the Bertuzzi / Moore thing but you skate right up to him and tell him you're going to fight. If he says no, you drop you're gloves and punch him in the face anyways. Point made, lesson learned.

I don't care if they get a 7 minute power play. it will do tons for team moral and support and it might make the next guy think twice before he does it again. I'd rather have Chicago with a 7 minute power play during a regular season game, than play round 1 of the playoffs without a star player.

#77 ChirplikeLappy

ChirplikeLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

its a simple answer.... Torres is a third liner who took out a star player, He has to respond to another third/fourth liner.... Keith is a Star who took a Star out, Why would he risk injury facing a fourth liner?

#78 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

its a simple answer.... Torres is a third liner who took out a star player, He has to respond to another third/fourth liner.... Keith is a Star who took a Star out, Why would he risk injury facing a fourth liner?

Because the 4th liner shouldn't give him a choice.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#79 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Thats where the debate lies. Some of us that wanted retribution don't really care what Keith wants. We dont care whether Keith wants to fight or not or whether he risks injury by fighting a 4th liner.

We just want one of our guys to skate up to him and beat him up whether he chooses to drop the gloves or not.

And we are ok with taking a 2, a 5, and a game,

#80 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

I can't believe how many people out there are saying it was right to not fight Keith. This is the reason other teams take runs at the Canucks, because they're soft.

If someone cheap shots one of your players, and you don't get him that game; you get him the next. You don't blind side him like the Bertuzzi / Moore thing but you skate right up to him and tell him you're going to fight. If he says no, you drop you're gloves and punch him in the face anyways. Point made, lesson learned.

I don't care if they get a 7 minute power play. it will do tons for team moral and support and it might make the next guy think twice before he does it again. I'd rather have Chicago with a 7 minute power play during a regular season game, than play round 1 of the playoffs without a star player.

Exactly how I feel. Who cares about winning some pointless regular season game when you have the opportunity to set the tone for the playoffs and a 7 game series.

I wouldn't want our guys chasing Keith in the playoffs. If Keith elbowed Daniel during the playoffs and served a 4 game suspension, that is good enough punishment.

However, he faced a small suspension during the regular season and was there to play the games in the playoffs when it mattered...

Where was Daniel for the 1st few games?

I'm saying, we are not a borderline playoff team that might miss the playoffs because of one game. Hell, sometimes we take the night off and lose to a bottom feeding team anyway.

So why not waste one of those games and really make them pay for effing with our stars?

#81 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

We gave them one of their 2 losses all season long and Keith was a -1 I believe. That hurts more than a couple of punches to the face.

That being said, if we're playing against the Blackhawks and the game is decided (either we're whooping them or getting trounced) I want to see some liberties being taken towards him. Going out of your way to hit and fight this guy if it leaves us vulnerable to losing a hockey game is out of the question, but if the game is practically over then who cares, bang his head in.
Posted Image

#82 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Keith is a chikken sht f***in pi**ant and then they say the Sedin's are soft...bulls***!

#83 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

Even if someone tried to fight him I doubt Keith would have dropped the gloves, or someone else (like Mayers) would have stepped in for him. Keith is their star defenseman making 8 million dollars a year he's not going to be doing much fighting.

Sedins rocked him a couple times with some hits

Honestly winning the game does more than a fight would have.

Make him fight.. I'm not saying Bertuzzi him from behind but you make him fight like Ryan White did the other day. That was a blatant targeted elbow to the head of our best player. That is unacceptable and every tough guy on our team should have been on the ice to start the game. I like lindy ruffs style and how he benched guys for not going after Lucic. I'm all for being smart and not retaliating all the time and giving up powerplays but there are exceptions where it doesn't matter if its hulk hogan, you better go after him or your not worthy of wearing the Vancouver jersey.

It's called honor and if Keith has it, he will fight and answer for what he's done.

#84 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

The time do react would of been to jump on him then and there. With all the four others Canucks reacting no matter what.
The Canucks need to stand up for a guy when it happens and not wait for retribution.

As for Keith, he is too much of a coward and mouth piece to stand up and fight someone. He'll never be man enough and step up unlike a Torres period.
Canucks just need to play tougher in the games and protect each other during games period. Then perhaps players would not run their stars if they all stood up as a team should. Two point or win isn't the most important thing when player continually cheap shot you.

#85 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I think everyone is forgetting that Torres knew he went over the line and his "warriors honor" prevented him from declining a fight he knew he should accept. Good on Torres, thats a man's response.

Duncan Kieth fed a sedin in the chops with an elbow and might have cost us a deep playoff run. The next year people challange him and he declines. This is because he has no honor and he is a coward.

His punishment will be the loss of the respect of his peers. Not as satisifying as a few well placed punches to the face, but it will have to do.

#86 Schneider.Man604

Schneider.Man604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Everyone was expecting us to goon it up, that's why they had O'Halloran in there ready to throw the book at us. Remember people, revenge is a dish best served cold. The NHL was just begging the Canucks to go after the Hawks' guys, they couldn't wait to bring the hammer down on us. That's why the Sedins and Vigneault told the guys to hold off and play it cool. They know how this game is played. It's a sort of passive-aggressive psych-out tactic. Keith knows he can't hide forever. It's got to be unsettling for the Blackhawks, knowing that the matter is still hanging over their heads, knowing that any moment in a game could be the moment we decide to take our vengeance. It's much better than having a pointless little scrap on the first shift, it's mental warfare. Their time will come.

if all that is true, then i totally agree, that is a pretty smart way of thinking of this.

#87 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,045 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Keith won't fight unless u lay a big clean hit on one of their guy on the ice. Then he got choice but to jump in and fight

#88 Bob Stone

Bob Stone

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

This is funny because lots of you act like you can just go out and take out Keith and Toews and Kane and the rest of the Hawks will just stand there and let you do it.

#89 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Sure he fights, even if he doens't, you just have to force him into it. I have to say our response was pretty pathetic the game it happened and the one the other night

#90 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

This is funny because lots of you act like you can just go out and take out Keith and Toews and Kane and the rest of the Hawks will just stand there and let you do it.

http://www.youtube.c...outu.be&t=6m15s

In this clip at the 6:15 min mark, the Hawks are on the powerplay and have Stalberg, Kane, Brunette, Oduya and Bolland

Canucks have Kesler, Burrows, Alberta and Edler.

In the scrum, our D stays out so that the faceoff remains in the Hawks zone. I'm saying at this point, who really cares about where the face off is???

Burrows landed a few shots on Kane before being pulled off by Brunette while Kesler is tied up with Bolland.

I'm saying Alberta and Edler needs to jump in and one of them should pull Brunette off of Burrows and Burrows should continue to beat up Kane.

Kesler can square off with Bolland. (I give edge to Kesler)
Edler can either fight Brunette or Stalberg (Proabably be even)
Alberts can take Oduya. (Edge goes to Alberts)
Burrows beats up Kane (Edge to Burrows)
Yes there will be 1 hawk player free but I'm quite certain that the end result would be that 2 or more Hawks players would receive the short end of the stick.

Now this is just an example to illustrate my point. If it was actually even strength and we had a d-man like Ballard or Bieksa playing, we would dominate every fight in that card

Bieksa beats up Bolland
Alberts beats up Oduya
Kesler beats up Stalberg
Burrows beats up Kane
???? beats up or ties Brunette

What is so hard about that? Canucks need a pack mentality and attack Chicago as a five man unit so that there is no room for players like Kane and Keith to hide.

Edited by CanucksJay, 11 February 2013 - 12:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.