Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

I know its been a couple games since but why didnt anybody fight duncan keith?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
141 replies to this topic

#121 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I've played the game. A guy fighting me didn't stop me from throwing my hits. A guy bumping me? Big freakin' deal. Again I'll ask...has fighting Torres stopped him from playing his questionable game? I say not at all. You're deluded if you think it ever will.

Btw, I did say beat them "repeatedly" didn't I? Which we haven't. Unless we do they have no reason to fear us. Getting into a fight won't make them fear us at all. Particularly if they win the game in the process. That just tells them they can throw us off our game and get us taking stupid penalties. Great game plan.

You beat and teach different people in different ways.

When you have a nut job like Torres running around hitting your guys, fighting won't stop him, so what you do is send your crazy guys out to hit their star players. After awhile somebody's star players are going to want their team to stop.............the other team wins.

When a regular player like Keith slams one of your star players, you send the police over to beat him up and make sure he thinks twice before it happens again............What you don't do is say, ok you win this time but we scored more goals.............its not rocket science folks!

Edited by vcr1970, 13 February 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#122 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

We sent our message. Our stars are targets in the playoffs again this year.

#123 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

It's not smart to let your key players take cheap shots.

Which is why the Sedins would be wise to think twice before laying a cheap shot on a guy like Keith.

Edited by thema, 13 February 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#124 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

Which is why the Sedins would be wise to think twice before laying a cheap shot on a guy like Keith.

If Sedin's was a cheap shot then Keith deserved a bertuzzi suspension for retaliation. Regardless, it's amusing that people think the nucks are soft when they hit the hell out of the Hawks, beat them on the ice and their star players like keith run and hide.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#125 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

Keith=bit*h

#126 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

He should of took a beating like any other player in this league would against any other team. None of this the 2 points Is better garbage.

You wait for the playoffs when the reffs put away their whistles and punish him and punish him again. You get him off his game and their whole backend falls apart. These teams are on a collision course to face each other in the playoffs, its in the cards. Karma on the big stage is what Keith deserves.

#127 CanadianRugby

CanadianRugby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

We're been one of the softest teams in the league for a long time. If you're STILL not used to that fact you never will be.

#128 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

We're been one of the softest teams in the league for a long time. If you're STILL not used to that fact you never will be.

I couldn't agree more. Anytime you consistently hear your coach or GM or local media saying you have "team toughness", which we've heard for years, what that really means if your team really isn't that tough.

#129 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Gillis is a rigid hockey pacifist ideologue, and he's determined to prove it can win.

#130 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Should we meet in the playoffs again, we will beat the crap outta them. Chicago isn't half the physical presence the Canucks are.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 14 February 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#131 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Should we meet in the playoffs again, we will beat the crap outta them. Chicago isn't half the physical presence the Canucks are.

Who on the Canuck's is a hard hitter besides Patti, Kassian and Edler?

Edited by Rypien37, 14 February 2013 - 11:50 PM.

Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#132 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Who on the Canuck's is a hard hitter besides Patti, Kassian and Edler?

Hamhuis, Ballard, Booth, Kesler, Weise, Bieksa, Garrison... damn near our entire roster is capable of laying on the hurt, especially when playoffs call for it. For all the talk of lack of grit (which is true), we can out hit any team in the league. Canucks proved it in their cup run, not even Boston came close to the highlight reel of checks the Nucks layed.

#133 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,754 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

You beat and teach different people in different ways.

When you have a nut job like Torres running around hitting your guys, fighting won't stop him, so what you do is send your crazy guys out to hit their star players. After awhile somebody's star players are going to want their team to stop.............the other team wins.

When a regular player like Keith slams one of your star players, you send the police over to beat him up and make sure he thinks twice before it happens again............What you don't do is say, ok you win this time but we scored more goals.............its not rocket science folks!

Oh I get it. So Keith screwed up. He should have had a knuckle dragger give Daniel a good beat down for his questionable hit instead of taking a cheap shot himself. Would have saved him that silly suspension.

Edited by Baggins, 15 February 2013 - 05:49 AM.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#134 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

we need a superthug. Vandermeer plus one.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#135 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Oh I get it. So Keith screwed up. He should have had a knuckle dragger give Daniel a good beat down for his questionable hit instead of taking a cheap shot himself. Would have saved him that silly suspension.

I think its pretty obvious that if Keith had an issue with Daniel's hit, he should have pounded on Daniel himself OR had a knuckle dragger do it for him.
The absolute worst thing to do was make a non hockey play where he completly goes out of his way to Elbow Sedin in the head.

Isn't that a no brainer?

But hey, then again, we have guys like you who will just accept having our star taking a cheap shot so maybe Keith did have the right idea afterall

Now keep in mind, if a knuckle dragger tried to get at Daniel, he will prob end up fighting someone like Bieksa but the main point is, elbowing Sedin in the head for retribution would have been a bad move (if the Canucks actually made him pay for it)

But good thing Keith has advocates like you who are looking to look past his actions

Edited by CanucksJay, 15 February 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#136 pdc

pdc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I find it amazing how many people are so focused on toughness and retaliation sice the bruins won. Just shows how much of a copy cat mindset people have.

You don't need to goon it up to win. If you play a fast skilled game you can very easily win it all. Or does everyone forget how Detroit got so many banners?

I'm saying I'd like to see our team play soft and get pushed around the ice. We do a good job of playing physical, but all this talk about not being gritty enoug and not retaliating enough is rubbish. That doesn't help us win and isn't that what matters? There's more than one way to win, wouldn't mind if we thought bit outside of the box on how to do so. If every team is trying to get bigger and grittier(ala Boston LA) who's to say a smaller quick team on every line wouldn't have success.

#137 pdc

pdc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Basically who cares. If someone wants to take a cheap shot at a star player, do you really think the prospect of someone trying to fight him will deter him?
Most fights the guy will take maybe 1 or 2 clean shots to the face. That's not much of a deterrent. Who hasn't been hit a few times in the face, it's no big deal.

#138 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,754 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I think its pretty obvious that if Keith had an issue with Daniel's hit, he should have pounded on Daniel himself OR had a knuckle dragger do it for him.
The absolute worst thing to do was make a non hockey play where he completly goes out of his way to Elbow Sedin in the head.

Isn't that a no brainer?

But hey, then again, we have guys like you who will just accept having our star taking a cheap shot so maybe Keith did have the right idea afterall

Now keep in mind, if a knuckle dragger tried to get at Daniel, he will prob end up fighting someone like Bieksa but the main point is, elbowing Sedin in the head for retribution would have been a bad move (if the Canucks actually made him pay for it)

But good thing Keith has advocates like you who are looking to look past his actions

I'm not looking past it at all. Daniels hit could just as easily be looked at as a cheap shot. Which was my point. Meaning, by your own standards, he needed to be taught a lesson for taking a run at a Chicago star player. Keith was suspended on the play, losing money out of his pocket. The suspension wasn't as long as I thought it should have been, but he was suspended nonetheless. His revenge ended badly for himself and for Daniel. If Keith was going to be gone after it should have been done that game when the incident happened, not a year later. Keith is still a star player in his own right so going after him, again by your own standard, means they have to exaxct revenge. Which brings me back to the question: where does it end? And will it make any real difference. Ballard has thrown his hip check on grunts and star players alike. People have gone after him for it. Has he stopped throwing hip checks? Nope. So much for "teaching him a lesson". But at least the reaction was immediate. Torres has been gone after for his questionable hits. Has it stopped him? Nope. So much for "teaching him a lesson". It's all in your head that it does anything.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#139 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I find it amazing how many people are so focused on toughness and retaliation sice the bruins won. Just shows how much of a copy cat mindset people have.

You don't need to goon it up to win. If you play a fast skilled game you can very easily win it all. Or does everyone forget how Detroit got so many banners?

I'm saying I'd like to see our team play soft and get pushed around the ice. We do a good job of playing physical, but all this talk about not being gritty enoug and not retaliating enough is rubbish. That doesn't help us win and isn't that what matters? There's more than one way to win, wouldn't mind if we thought bit outside of the box on how to do so. If every team is trying to get bigger and grittier(ala Boston LA) who's to say a smaller quick team on every line wouldn't have success.

Detroit actually had May or McCarty in the lineup when they were winning cups. They haven't won a damned thing since they went hard core pacifist.

#140 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,754 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Basically who cares. If someone wants to take a cheap shot at a star player, do you really think the prospect of someone trying to fight him will deter him?
Most fights the guy will take maybe 1 or 2 clean shots to the face. That's not much of a deterrent. Who hasn't been hit a few times in the face, it's no big deal.

Exactly what I've been saying. It hasn't stopped Ballard from throwing hip checks. It hasn't stopped Torres from throwing questionable hits. It never stopped Cooke from throwing questionable hits. Suspensions is what changed Cookes game. Keith knows if he does something that stupid again he'll be a repeat offender and get a longer suspension. That's the real deterrent. Shannahan said afterwards that had he known the seriousness of Daniels injury the suspension would have been longer. But when he talked the Danny he said he was fine. Hence only five games.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#141 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

The Sedin hit was clean, Keith was admiring his pass and Sedin was finishing his check.

The Keith hit was a dirty elbow to the head while Sedin didn't have the puck and was not able to defend himself.

You guys gotta keep mind that Baggins most likely isn't a canucks fan and likes to stir the pot. Where's Gs picture of the boat when you need it?

#142 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Aaron Rome is in the house. That should pretty much resolve this.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.