The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder = Cliff Ronning?

TheRick

I want Jordan to become most similar to the guy in my avatar, Andre Boudrias. Terrific passer, and shifty. Long career in the NHL even though he did not get much of a chance early on. It is unfair to compare players from any era, but we all do it, so live with it. If he can continue to improve like he has so far this season, then at least the depth is improving. We need the depth to make it deep into the playoffs.

You guys can keep chirping MayRay despite his performance increase. That shot of his is actually impressed me so much and once he starts hitting the back of the net again you guys are going to be eating your words. I'm not saying he's Bavel material in the slightest but he's nowhere near has bad as he was last season and he's picking it up. Watch highlights those snap/wrist shots of his are really scary now

funny i have always thought of mayray as reminding me of ronning. his work on the boards is very similar. being a smaller guy you have to be quick to last.

for those of you that think he does not go to the "dirty areas", thats where he plays best. in the corners, in the slot. he just isnt one of those guys like burrows, kass etc. that stand in front of the net and bump and grind with the defence. for that you need to be built like bufglen.

Could you imagine :D ! I was and kind of still am one one of those people that need to see a little more before I am fully convinced...but this kid can sure play so far . His speed and ice vision are impeccable. I hope he knows he is not a giant and does not need to play like one, his other attributes look like they will carry him far in this league. Fingers crossed :emot-parrot:

Guest Gumballthechewy

Jordan Schroeder = Jordan Schroeder

Zack Kassian = Zack Kassian

Chris Tanev = Chris Tanev

Why do our players always have to be compared to someone else. Is it not good enough for them to just be their own players, and make their own names for themselves?

I was thinking along similar lines. Schroeder reminds me of the Sedins early in their career in the sense that when Schroeder's line is on the ice they may not get a lot of goals but bad things don't seem to happen either. So if he can continue to develop while still being on the positive side of that ledger, great.

Why crap on the guy for making a comparison? Like Gumballthechewy said, analysts do it. It is a way to gauge a player's potential beyond throwing around random point totals.

We have a new player and many of us are curious as to how he will develop over the years. Speculating can be fun.

For my comparisons I would go with Andrew Cogliano, Chris Kelly, Brendan Morrison. Good speed, defensive awareness and some offensive ability. Won't be an elite offensive contributor can play anywhere in the top 9.

As a MayRay doubter (but not a basher - there's a difference), he HAS improved significantly but still needs to get to the dirty areas for scoring.

He's scored some goals that I didn't think he'd score (top shelf) and he's created good chances for his teammates (something I thought he was bad at) AND he's fallen down MUCH less than previous years. He's a reliable PKer and is fine to use on third line. He is still the well-liked teammate. I like this Raymond versus the old Raymond.

A part of me has concerns that he's only doing this because it's his contract year; last time he did this good, it was the same scenario which ended up him going to arbitration, which then led him to start off with a bad year with that new contract at ~2.25M, which people were complaining about.

He's been inconsistent in previous years (not counting his time after recovering from that awful back injury) but he's starting to improve for sure.

Archived