#3 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

This is what PVRs were made for.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#4 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

just an awful list of nominations
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#5 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

just an awful list of nominations

I've always liked your elitist approach to things.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#6 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

List of nominations below...Careful it's long.

I predict a Black Keys sweep but hope Jack white gets one or two as well.

Spoiler

Edited by Navyblue, 10 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Meaningless popularity contest that is "rigged" .. do I want to watch it? .. I prefer a re-run of the BBC news from last August .. :towel:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#8 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

This would be a much better thread if it was . "Granny's tonight"

Posted Image

#9 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Anyone care?

Nope

Awards shows are a waste.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#10 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I've always liked your elitist approach to things.

i don't think it has anything to do with elitism. i couldn't care less if my favourite musicians win awards. personally, i love pop culture, and i watch a lot of award shows, read countless year-end-lists, and all that. i don't need or want MY taste to be stroked and enforced, i just enjoy the discussion over the arts

however, the grammys are a different kind of garbage all together. the grammys don't award high culture, nor do they even acknowledge low culture. say what you will about the oscars, but at least they acknowledge the spectrum from time to time. the grammys ceremony, on the other hand, is entirely about rewarding those who ride gently down the middle of the road and achieve respectable if not phenomenal record sales. the committee is corrupt (and that ain't no tin foil hat stuff), and the program is about ratings and money, nothing more and nothing less.

don't get me wrong, i'm sure a lot of people think--zzzzz-the black keys are the best rock band in the world, and many others still consider marilyn manson a vital (and best?) 'metal band'

but who are the people who believe carly rae jepsom (or whatever), mumford and sons, jack white, and ed sheeran are the high point of (north) american music this year? nobody. nobody except a handful of children (those who spend the money), and those who make money off them. middle of the road garbage. tooootally boring.
Posted Image

#11 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,262 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I haven't watched the Grammys in years. Considering my age and musical tastes, I pretty much hate everything on the show.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#12 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

i don't think it has anything to do with elitism. i couldn't care less if my favourite musicians win awards. personally, i love pop culture, and i watch a lot of award shows, read countless year-end-lists, and all that. i don't need or want MY taste to be stroked and enforced, i just enjoy the discussion over the arts

however, the grammys are a different kind of garbage all together. the grammys don't award high culture, nor do they even acknowledge low culture. say what you will about the oscars, but at least they acknowledge the spectrum from time to time. the grammys ceremony, on the other hand, is entirely about rewarding those who ride gently down the middle of the road and achieve respectable if not phenomenal record sales. the committee is corrupt (and that ain't no tin foil hat stuff), and the program is about ratings and money, nothing more and nothing less.

don't get me wrong, i'm sure a lot of people think--zzzzz-the black keys are the best rock band in the world, and many others still consider marilyn manson a vital (and best?) 'metal band'

but who are the people who believe carly rae jepsom (or whatever), mumford and sons, jack white, and ed sheeran are the high point of (north) american music this year? nobody. nobody except a handful of children (those who spend the money), and those who make money off them. middle of the road garbage. tooootally boring.

To add to that, there is nothing wrong with listening to pop music. There are a few pop songs that I'll shamelessly admit to enjoying.

But the vast, vast, vast majority of it is manufactured. It has no artistic integrity, it follows the formula of what will sell and what will get radio plays. And the Grammy's actually think that "artists" like Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Carly Rae Jepsen, the list goes on, are the pinnacle of musical achievement. That's why the Grammys are a joke.

If you like that, more power to you. I'm not going to judge. But awarding the shallow pop music titles like "Album of the year?".

It really is a popularity contest.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#13 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Nope...... walking dead returns tonight and a new episode of family guy is all I need.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#14 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Nope, I'll be out doing something real tonight.

#15 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

This would be a much better thread if it was . "Granny's tonight"

You're into Granny type stuff. Okay then.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#16 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Nope, I'll be out doing something real tonight.

an asian?

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#17 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

The Canadian rapper, Drake won his first grammy today.....if anyone cares
CANADIAN-as Jay Onrait would say
Go Canucks Go

#18 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Just curious, what would you consider as the high points of American music of 2012?

#19 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Just curious, what would you consider as the high points of American music of 2012?

oh jeez, no

do you realize who you just asked that question???

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 10 February 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#20 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

aw come on, don't ask me that. i think it depends on genre and what you're into.

but when you look at who won at the grammys, you can see some examples.

mumford and sons won best album, so what are mumford and sons? a middle of the road folk rock band. their song lyrics are generic, their music is a reflection of the folk-y trend in indie music that blew up over the last decade, not their uniqueness at all.

in terms of folk music, i'd say Grizzly Bear's Shields was much more adventurous, with more interesting songwriting, and was near the front of almost every critics year end list.

mumford and sons' babel, on the other hand, was a received as a middle-of-the-road record by even mainstream critics. a few people who i know that enjoy the band weren't even all that psyched on it.

"fun." winning best new artist is ridiculous for a few reasons, worst of which is that the band has been around for well over 4 years, and their debut album (in 2009) received significant attention by many critics and listeners. new? not likely.

having megadeath, iron maiden, and marilyn manson nominated for metal acts in 2013, i'm sure would please fans of classic metal, but if you're a big fan of the genre, could you honestly say that the best metal bands out there today are the same bands that were the best 20 or 30 years ago?

was kanye west and jay z's 'watch the throne' progressive, problematic, or interesting at all? nope. kendrick lamar's 'maad city' was significantly more interesting than kanye west or drake or any of the others, for rap

if you're curious about albums that received high critical acclaim and high fan adoration from across the board, this website keeps track of most noteworthy publications and fan voting: http://www.albumofth...st-rated/2012/1

to be honest, i don't think you could go wrong with discussing any of that stuff long before you bring up mumford and fun.
Posted Image

#21 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, fun. winning was stupid. Guys are old as hell and have been around for awhile. Kinda surprised the call me maybe chick didn't win anything, that song was everywhere and catchy, even if you hated it.

Actually found most of the performers and songs that won.. all kind of sucked. Just a bad year for 'commercial' music I guess.

#22 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Frank Ocean sang terribly. probably couldn't hear properly or something.

JT and Jay-Z's performance was fun. speaking of fun., they're so awful. 2012 was a particularly painful pop music year for me because i really hate gotye, mumford and fun.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#23 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

fun fact: that fun. song is my mom's favorite.

i'm 30 lol

#24 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Glad Halestorm won, Lzzy Hale gets my engine running. Girl can belt..
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#25 PENGUINScanFLY

PENGUINScanFLY

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I personally loved seeing Zac Brown Band win best country album.. They're awesome, and I don't think anyone could call them generic.

Oh and Rihanna was hot as usual

Edited by PENGUINScanFLY, 10 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#26 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

katy perry's dress

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#27 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Oh and Rihanna was hot as usual

jokes?

#28 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

oh jeez, no

do you realize who you just asked that question???

no lol

aw come on, don't ask me that. i think it depends on genre and what you're into.

but when you look at who won at the grammys, you can see some examples.

mumford and sons won best album, so what are mumford and sons? a middle of the road folk rock band. their song lyrics are generic, their music is a reflection of the folk-y trend in indie music that blew up over the last decade, not their uniqueness at all.

in terms of folk music, i'd say Grizzly Bear's Shields was much more adventurous, with more interesting songwriting, and was near the front of almost every critics year end list.

mumford and sons' babel, on the other hand, was a received as a middle-of-the-road record by even mainstream critics. a few people who i know that enjoy the band weren't even all that psyched on it.

"fun." winning best new artist is ridiculous for a few reasons, worst of which is that the band has been around for well over 4 years, and their debut album (in 2009) received significant attention by many critics and listeners. new? not likely.

having megadeath, iron maiden, and marilyn manson nominated for metal acts in 2013, i'm sure would please fans of classic metal, but if you're a big fan of the genre, could you honestly say that the best metal bands out there today are the same bands that were the best 20 or 30 years ago?

was kanye west and jay z's 'watch the throne' progressive, problematic, or interesting at all? nope. kendrick lamar's 'maad city' was significantly more interesting than kanye west or drake or any of the others, for rap

if you're curious about albums that received high critical acclaim and high fan adoration from across the board, this website keeps track of most noteworthy publications and fan voting: http://www.albumofth...st-rated/2012/1

to be honest, i don't think you could go wrong with discussing any of that stuff long before you bring up mumford and fun.

I'm personally a fan of Mumford & Sons. The first song I ever heard by them was "Little Lion Man" when a friend had included it on a mix for me. I think this may have been late 2009 or early 2010, prior to them blowing up with worldwide recognition through radio airplay and their nominations as well as performance at the 2010 Grammy's. But still, when I first heard them, I thought they were pretty unique. I haven't heard of a lot of folk/Americana music prior to hearing their music, but I quite liked their sound, lyrics, and the various instruments they used for their songs (like the mandolin!). I don't think they're really that overrated, but maybe their huge mainsteam success kind of irks me a bit. I wouldn't say Babel was a bad album, but I know several of my friends were not too into it because they thought it'd be more like the energetic sound they heard in Sigh No More.

I am a fan of Grizzly Bear too. Shields is great. I really liked Veckatimest, didn't think I'd like Shields so much more. But I understand what you mean. Sometimes that bands that truly deserve recognition, don't. And to risk sounding like a hipster or a jackass, I'm kind of glad they don't get that huge recognition sometimes, just so they don't attract the mainstream bandwagoners who'll jump on anything popular.

And YES. I agree with you about the Best New Artist category. Every year, I feel like the Grammy's or the Juno's will nominate a band or artist who's been around for a while as a best new artist, and that really annoys me. I was a big fan of indie band The Format (led by fun. frontman Nate Ruess), so I really liked fun.'s debut album "Aim and Ignite". Did it come out in 2009? Time really flies. But I was definitely not feeling this new album. And don't even get me started on the amount of airplay that "We Are Young" gets. If I hear that song one more time..

#29 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

I actually like the 'Some Nights' song.

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 11 February 2013 - 12:50 AM.

"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#30 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

no lol

I'm personally a fan of Mumford & Sons. The first song I ever heard by them was "Little Lion Man" when a friend had included it on a mix for me. I think this may have been late 2009 or early 2010, prior to them blowing up with worldwide recognition through radio airplay and their nominations as well as performance at the 2010 Grammy's. But still, when I first heard them, I thought they were pretty unique. I haven't heard of a lot of folk/Americana music prior to hearing their music, but I quite liked their sound, lyrics, and the various instruments they used for their songs (like the mandolin!). I don't think they're really that overrated, but maybe their huge mainsteam success kind of irks me a bit. I wouldn't say Babel was a bad album, but I know several of my friends were not too into it because they thought it'd be more like the energetic sound they heard in Sigh No More.

I am a fan of Grizzly Bear too. Shields is great. I really liked Veckatimest, didn't think I'd like Shields so much more. But I understand what you mean. Sometimes that bands that truly deserve recognition, don't. And to risk sounding like a hipster or a jackass, I'm kind of glad they don't get that huge recognition sometimes, just so they don't attract the mainstream bandwagoners who'll jump on anything popular.

And YES. I agree with you about the Best New Artist category. Every year, I feel like the Grammy's or the Juno's will nominate a band or artist who's been around for a while as a best new artist, and that really annoys me. I was a big fan of indie band The Format (led by fun. frontman Nate Ruess), so I really liked fun.'s debut album "Aim and Ignite". Did it come out in 2009? Time really flies. But I was definitely not feeling this new album. And don't even get me started on the amount of airplay that "We Are Young" gets. If I hear that song one more time..

i guess that's the rub, isn't it? believing Grizzly Bear deserves success and acclaim and recognition, but secretly not wanting them to have it for fear of how it'll change everything :)

but then again, when Bon Iver somehow managed to win last year, and Arcade Fire put their own dent in the awards and somehow walked out with their credibility, i sort of thought the Grammys were turning a new page. But this year was just a giant step in the wrong direction, i think

and i didn't mean to rag on Mumford too hard. but have you heard bands like The Lumineers? Or that "Little Talks" song by Of Monsters and Men? They all sound and look exactly alike. Even though the songs are really good in that "radio hit" way, they don't take any chances at all, and they're following the formula that Mumford popularized, so I don't know where to direct my hate, as my precious folk music well is being poisoned by the mainstream

And when Mumford goes home to his mansion and A-list celebrity wife, I have a hard time buying into his heartache. Mumford and Sons are just like a new, unproven version of Coldplay for me. They may achieve the same amount of success, they both have the celebrity wives, they both had origins in an indie pretence, and they use that pretence to achieve stadium-filling success. cynics like myself will dismiss it as shallow music tailor made to fit a tried and true formula, but i can't pretend i don't really enjoy a handful of coldplay songs, and i'll probably dig a few mumford ones along the way, too

Edited by GLASSJAW, 11 February 2013 - 02:52 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.